NLTD

GADonis

Beautifully Broken
Yesterday was New Locking Tuner Day. Fit like a glove. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the control cover I ordered for my 594 so I could swap out the one that was signed by PRSh. Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it all sorted out.

In the background you get a glimpse of my cat doing what she does best. Not giving a f...

kfvF144l.jpg

Love those, brass posts?

You know, I didn't look that close but I don't think they are. Looks to me like they are regular Kluson vintage tuners that have been modified to be locking. I thought about taking one apart to see exactly what is going on but I'm wondering if its just a regular tuner with a drilled and tapped hole to intersect the hole for the string which allows a flat bottomed screw to clamp down on the string to lock it.

You know, I didn't look that close but I don't think they are. Looks to me like they are regular Kluson vintage tuners that have been modified to be locking. I thought about taking one apart to see exactly what is going on but I'm wondering if its just a regular tuner with a drilled and tapped hole to intersect the hole for the string which allows a flat bottomed screw to clamp down on the string to lock it.

Nice job!!

Where'd you score them from? The non-locking to locking mod is simply a hole drilled into the post that is tapped and a set screw inserted to lock the string. Pretty cool actually...I got to watch the Mann himself mod my SE set.

Nice job!!

Where'd you score them from? The non-locking to locking mod is simply a hole drilled into the post that is tapped and a set screw inserted to lock the string. Pretty cool actually...I got to watch the Mann himself mod my SE set.

Sweet!

I don't own a McCarty so this is a genuine question. What was the problem with the original tuners?

I don't own a McCarty so this is a genuine question. What was the problem with the original tuners?

There was absolutely no problem with the original tuners. I believe in another thread I mentioned that I wear out strings very quickly. I normally need to change strings after about 2 gigs worth of playing time. I have a very heavy grip which causes the undersides of the strings to wear at the fret contact points. I have actually worn all the way through the wraps on the bass side strings and have had strings start to unravel while playing. Like I said, I have a very heavy grip. I'm trying to lighten it up but haven't made much progress.

The change to the locking tuners is solely to expedite the string changing process that I go through frequently when gigging regularly.

Thanks all. I didn't realise that model doesn't come with locking tuners.

Back