Nitrocellulose lacquer on PRS guitars.

Yeah, original Modern Eagle...I think. It'll gloss if you use polish or keep your finger(s)on it while playing.

Yep, Modern Eagle was satin nitro. In the mid 00's they did some satin finished models with unfilled grain which were nitro. The early David Grissom models were nitro.

Nothing currently using it that I know of.

It's still used on some Private Stock pieces……like mine from 2013.

The original maple necked guitars had it too (just on the back) I'm pretty sure (CE, CU22 Soapy etc). That changed when they started doing the impregnated finish on their necks (which I love!).

Some other special run models prob had it too.

Oh and the first DGTs?

Does anyone not? :D

Yes! Some PS buyers don't want nitro.

But my PS guitars have it.

The recent PRS nitro is a superb finish, very hard, not sticky. But it's still a more sensitive finish than poly or V12 when it comes to weather checking, susceptibility to chemical migration, etc.

Yes! Some PS buyers don't want nitro.

But my PS guitars have it.

The recent PRS nitro is a superb finish, very hard, not sticky. But it's still a more sensitive finish than poly or V12 when it comes to weather checking, susceptibility to chemical migration, etc.

Oh I know that Les, it was totally tongue in cheek on my part. The nitro looks so good to me, I can't ever resist getting it when practical. Choosing V12 is a good for all the reasons you have listed, especially the checking.

I figure the best advantage of a nitro finish on a PRS is when the tone stops your heart, you can just lick the guitar to get it going again. :top:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

[h=2]6. What kind of finish does PRS use?[/h] In our history, most of our instruments have been finished with a polyester basecoat and acrylic urethane topcoat. We feel acrylic urethane looks and feels the close to the old nitrocellulose finishes but avoided the issue of future finish checking. Several PRS models, including our Sunburst, Satin, Modern Eagles, and DGT models use a nitrocellulose finish in order to provide the classic feel and tone of vintage instruments.
In 2010, PRS Guitars introduced its new V12 finish. This finish was developed over 12 years, and it is intended as a midpoint between nitro and acrylic with a classic feel all its own. V12 is extremely thin to allow the guitar to resonate, but it is still incredibly durable with no risk of reacting to leather or guitar stands in a negative way.

Back