Nitrocellulose technique with PRS vs older Fenders?

Revelation

I am curious with todays technology, how different (if any) PRS applies nitrocellulose to guitars from the 1960's. Some PRS guitars like my sons 2020 Silver Sky, reacts to rubber on guitar stands which affects the back of the guitar. I would assume some change was made to the formula to reduce those issues with the newer models?

The PRS formulation for their current "Nitro over CAB" finish, like all of their finish formulations, is not publicized, and therefore difficult to judge compared to what you might call those historical (and simpler at the time, I suppose) techniques and formulations. As far as I know, the latest formulation is unchanged since it was first used in 2020 (?), including when applied to your son's Silver Sky.

I have heard that what has happened to your son's Silver Sky is typical of any finish that has nitro in it when in contact with "rubber" from guitar stands, etc. Apparently the Hercules stands/hangers and the String Swing hangers claim to be made from materials that do not affect nitro finishes, but if I recall correctly John Mann @John Mann had a few Silver Sky models in that did suffer some sort of "rash" from String Swing hangers, even though they weren't supposed to do so. I don't know if it was ever resolved how/why that happened, but ever since I've been paranoid and put my nitro-finish guitars on hangers that have cotton "fingers" wrapping the hanger. (Literally fingers - I cut them from cotton gloves.) And none of my guitars with nitro on the body sit in stands - cases or hangers only.

Back