NGD UPDATE - What do you think about this CE24 (possible first PRS)?

DIY job? didn't bother to take out pots? or possibly couldn't sand well in those rounded out areas. a 93 could fade but I think there would be still red in between grain or deep into soft grain on the top. This one is too uniform except in hard to sand areas which makes me think it was a diy refin.
What is under the pick up rings? That will tell you if it is faded or finished.

I just realized, take a look at the color balancing here on the neck:

IMG-0660.jpg

This thing may be more orange or amber than it appears in the pics. Probably going to check it out on Thursday.

Does the screw in this image look strange to anyone? Looks like one is sticking way up and I can't even see the other...

IMG-0663.jpg

The only reason I haven't jumped on it yet is that I would have to trade this beauty! I know it's a fair deal but I'm on the fence: I can't tell if thats an ibanez , if it is just pitch it.

20180817-191248.jpg

I have this up for trade on Craigslist and a CE24 is not really what I was looking for BUT this one definitely has me super interested. Especially how clean it is for a 25 year old guitar...

gorgeous relic'd PRS mate. Faded finish screams "working guitar", even if it wasn't.

Does the screw in this image look strange to anyone? Looks like one is sticking way up and I can't even see the other...

IMG-0663.jpg
That longer screw is not original. On my CE's the screws stop at the wood like the one on the left does. That looks like it might hit the pup if you try to lower it. You might find one that is a 1/4 inch shorter to fix it.

That longer screw is not original. On my CE's the screws stop at the wood like the one on the left does. That looks like it might hit the pup if you try to lower it. You might find one that is a 1/4 inch shorter to fix it.

Or somebody took the neck off once and put the wrong screw in the wrong spot. They’re (the screws) two different lengths... you don’t gotta ask me how I know.

Or somebody took the neck off once and put the wrong screw in the wrong spot. They’re (the screws) two different lengths... you don’t gotta ask me how I know.
Any reason to be weary of this deal based on that?

Just edited my post based on some of the later pics. It seems to me this is just faded. I don't think it's possible to refinish the guitar so well without taking the pickups off. Nobody in their right mind would. So the purple under the pickup rings would have been sanded off if it was refinished.

So I think I was wrong. ...but that is some crazy fading.

Anyway seems like a great guitar. These older CE's are supposed to be great. (I was going to buy one but got a great deal on a newer CE so went that route.) I say do it, if it plays well.

Last edited:
Back