NGD - The Ugly Duckling

Sweet grab, congrats! While how drawn we are to a guitar by it's looks is one of the factors when purchasing a guitar, feel, playability, sound and stability are just as important (to me).

Did you get the stability straightened out? Oddly, one of my PRS guitars does exactly the same thing you describe. I haven't been able to remedy mine at all....even after a trip to the PTC, it still does it. Also, strangely, it didn't start doing it until after about a year of ownership. Guitars are weird.

I've learned to live with it.

Sweet grab, congrats! While how drawn we are to a guitar by it's looks is one of the factors when purchasing a guitar, feel, playability, sound and stability are just as important (to me).

Did you get the stability straightened out? Oddly, one of my PRS guitars does exactly the same thing you describe. I haven't been able to remedy mine at all....even after a trip to the PTC, it still does it. Also, strangely, it didn't start doing it until after about a year of ownership. Guitars are weird.

I've learned to live with it.

I think I have it sorted out. It was odd that strings were both sharp and flat but it seems to have stabilized with some use. We'll see.

What year is that guitar from? No way it got that much fade in just 4 years. That said, if it feels good and sounds good, it doesn't matter if it looks like they stained it with cow manure (and I don't think it looks half bad.... I like when it is outside the normal spectrum of colors you usually see).

What year is that guitar from? No way it got that much fade in just 4 years. That said, if it feels good and sounds good, it doesn't matter if it looks like they stained it with cow manure (and I don't think it looks half bad.... I like when it is outside the normal spectrum of colors you usually see).
It was completed in Oct 2018 so just a little less than 4 years old. I'll be curious to see just how much more it fades.

So there have been more than a few posts about fading finishes, with many reasons why, with specific colors, etc...etc...
But my guess would be that guitar spent quite some time in direct, long-term lighting.

It looks great! Beautiful grain in the top, and it wears the fade well.

I no longer agree with my click bait title. From a distance it's not a standout but it looks really nice up close. Without the fading, this guitar probably wouldn't have been available for me to get so that's a real positive. To be fair, I'm not really a fan of blue guitars either so the current color suits me better.

My perspective (and I've shared similar thoughts before...) If I bought a beautiful blue guitar (or purple/Northern Lights, etc.) and it faded to that, I've be extremely disappointed. But if I bought that guitar used, as it is now, I'd be totally OK with it.

Back