NGD - Starla

aphantomvaper

Bend it to the Owl!
A while back there was a thread about Chime machines and someone posted a Core Starla.

I said I must have one and after time and fate and luck Dave Guitars helped me out.

Here is my Pre Owned Starla. It is a more Brown/Red than in these pictures and is WONDERFUL!

GDM4vUY.jpg

What are those, gold mother of pearl Birds?

TgvjmCh.jpg

Front

52bEVAR.jpg

Back

p2AYmVo.jpg

The entire back

kMLwBRq.jpg

This thing is really great feeling and the real Bigsby is superb!

What's the deal with these pickups? I'm not finding much about them except people want them. Are they US made?

I'll pop the pickguard and find the other detail eventually.

Love it! Is that a satin finish? Didn’t realize they did that on the original core models.

The Starla pickups (originals) were USA made I believe.

My experience with the “s” models (which are still fantastic) is that they’re kind of like a cross between a single coil and humbucker. Still hum cancelling, but more scooped midrange and more treble than a PAF style. Great for a change of pace from standard humbuckers without going way out of the ballpark. I would guess they’re based on a Filtertron, or at least compare similarly to them.

Anyways, superb guitar! Happy NGD!!!

Love it! Is that a satin finish? Didn’t realize they did that on the original core models.

The Starla pickups (originals) were USA made I believe.

My experience with the “s” models (which are still fantastic) is that they’re kind of like a cross between a single coil and humbucker. Still hum cancelling, but more scooped midrange and more treble than a PAF style. Great for a change of pace from standard humbuckers without going way out of the ballpark. I would guess they’re based on a Filtertron, or at least compare similarly to them.

Anyways, superb guitar! Happy NGD!!!

Yes, Core Starlas are made in USA. They are like PAFs and Filtertrons got busy in a dive bar bathroom.

I have a set in my SE Semi Hollow and I’m saving my second set for an S2 Thinline.

A while back there was a thread about Chime machines and someone posted a Core Starla.

I said I must have one and after time and fate and luck Dave Guitars helped me out.

Here is my Pre Owned Starla. It is a more Brown/Red than in these pictures and is WONDERFUL!

GDM4vUY.jpg

What are those, gold mother of pearl Birds?

TgvjmCh.jpg

Front

52bEVAR.jpg

Back

p2AYmVo.jpg

The entire back

kMLwBRq.jpg

This thing is really great feeling and the real Bigsby is superb!

What's the deal with these pickups? I'm not finding much about them except people want them. Are they US made?

I'll pop the pickguard and find the other detail eventually.
Congrats on the score and enjoy the dickens out of playing that beauty!

I love semi oddball guitars that still play well, and this one is no slouch. So far its been perfect. I want to repair the marring by the jack plate but the finish is so thin. That's prob why it's so resonant.

I also have a thing for tortoise shell guards. Anyone know if a tort S2 guard will fit?

To have a real Bigsby and not an import is a great feeling when operating. Those licensed ones work ok and this one feels much better.

Thanks all!

I was stalking that one on Dave’s website for a few weeks and came really close to pulling the trigge a few times. Congrats!
I had a terrible experience at a Guitar Center just before this (savage guitar abuse just by how they were displaying the guitars, never seen that before) and checked out Daves for the first time in a while, and there she was. Fate I guess. Thanks!

Back