NGD - Santana Narrowfield Prototype

justmund

Plank Spanker
Had this one in my hands for a little while, was gonna wait until I either modded it or for my 2000th post but yeah, took some shots yesterday and they're burning a hole in my photobucket account.

This one has popped up in a couple of threads, and after many times looking and coveting, I finally pulled the trigger. Absolute seamless deal with Ryan Fowler's Guitar Experience, he's a PRS Artist and got his hands on some very cool guitars, like those MEII and Westy protos.

The story goes that this guitar was used in the development of the Narrowfield pickups, which are mounted onto Gibson mini-hum backings. I'm assuming that means they are wound with 57/08 wire but there's no way to prove that (I will ask PRS directly but this one has no serial number so it might be hard finding anything out). What's cool about it (for me) is that they put these pickups in a Santana shape, something that obviously never eventuated, because the NFs ended up the McCarty NF, the NF3 and the Studio.

Anyway enough talking for now, let's see some pics!

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Very thin satin (nitro?) finish

DSC_0105.jpg

No serial!

DSC_0121.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_010_edit_1414963635490.jpg

No serial, MODCAT, initials, anything!

DSC_010_edit_1414963599075.jpg

Neck and middle aren't Gibson mini-hums (the bridge is), but...

DSC_011_edit_1414963740444.jpg

Alnico 4?

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

Last edited:
That is killer. Natural with the black hardware looks so good. Great pics.

Beautiful guitar - killer neck and fretboard! So...any chance of a tone report, maybe even a clip?

I love that guitar, Justin. Very nice addition to your harem. And the figured mahogany back is spectacular.

That is the most Bangin'ness thing I ever did see!

[space reserved for custom Bangin'!]

This one has popped up in a couple of threads, and after many times looking and coveting, I finally pulled the trigger. Absolute seamless deal with Ryan Fowler's Guitar Experience, he's a PRS Artist and got his hands on some very cool guitars, like those MEII and Westy protos.
I had no idea Ryan had started this venture, but I can definitely vouch for him as a solid guy and am glad your transaction went well. Ryan was my exclusive 'go-to' guy when he was with GC, is a great person and player, and I wish him well.

But anyway, that's an exceptionally cool and rare piece you procured from him, and I look forward to hearing your reflections upon playing it!

Thanks again guys, yep this is the one that's been on eBay and Reverb for a while. Glad to hear someone else has had pleasant dealing with Ryan, he certainly looked after me :)

As for the tones, it really wasn't what I was expecting, and it was hard to curb my disappointment. Obviously the problem lied with my expectations, it's a prototype of something that doesn't exist (didn't go to market) so it's entirely possible someone went "well this ain't working"...

Anyway I did some tweaking of pickup heights and pole pieces and got it a bit more suited to my taste and goals, but it's still not there. I'm going to do some modding on this one, more than I had planned but hey, I figure I'm going to take this prototype to a place where someone like me would have bought it :p

Here's some very quick and dirty vids I did this arvo in between buying power tools and cooking dinner:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back