NGD S2 Studio

You know that 3 eyed fish that jumps up in the drainage ditch outside the power plant at the start of the old Simpsons episodes…. Best explanation I got was that Guitar Sanctuary got a couple of these direct from PRS, and speculated they were for overseas or something and Covid/inflation/supply chain/alien abductions caused them to be left behind with PRS. Score for me and some other guy or gal somewhere!

Edit for random 6 degrees of separation trivia - I live in CA. I work for a turbo machinery manufacturing company headquartered in Jeannette PA. @BeerBatteredPhish may find this amusing.
Jeannette is about an hour East of me. Small world

Here’s the response I received from PRS customer service regarding nitro and stands:

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Any stand is safe as long as it is not copper colored, and/or does not have surgical style tubing material. Please check with the manufacturer of the stand if you are unsure of the materials. Please also find the links below for our available stand options.

PRS Wall-Mounted Guitar Hanger – PRS Guitars West Street East Accessory Store (prsaccessories.com)
PRS Floating Guitar Stand – PRS Guitars West Street East Accessory Store (prsaccessories.com)

FWIW on the nitro, all Maryland made guitars were switched to nitro over cab during the transition. So that includes S2, CE, SS, and Fiore Models too. I just don't know when the transition happened. Obviously before yours was made.

FWIW on the nitro, all Maryland made guitars were switched to nitro over cab during the transition. So that includes S2, CE, SS, and Fiore Models too. I just don't know when the transition happened. Obviously before yours was made.
I saw reference to that. I’m not familiar with “Nitro over Cab” so I’m not really sure what that means. Regarding my specific guitar, it has that “new guitar smell” when I pull it out of the case, and had a “Nitro” hang tag.

My thoughts regarding a stand - Fender says the one I have is nitro safe. Hercules says nitro safe, we tested it, but you are totally on your own if you put your nitro guitar on it. PRS hanging stand has some sort of foam, and is nitro safe.

So, I’ll use my fender stand while I’m playing, get around to cotton wrapping it, otherwise keep the guitar in the case, And someday get a PRS hanging stand ‘cause they look cool and are nitro safe.

Yeah I'm no paint expert either. CAB is an acronym that I don't remember what it stands for. But I think it's some kind of acrylic base coat. It's supposed to help with durability, and then they spray the nitro over that. And yes it does smell awesome. haha. Anyway that's now the standard finish used on Maryland made guitars. Private stock, and probably wood library runs, have the option of all nitro. And unless something has changed, the DGT has always been all nitro.

And I just got my first nitro PRS too. So I have a couple of new Hercules wall hangars coming in. Over time I'll probably switch over to all Hercules stuff. As long as it works, and I don't see any issues with them and the nitro.

@aamefford any thoughts on how you’re linking the sound?
Disclaimer that I’m a rank beginner, so the tone is definitely NOT in my fingers! Why such nice guitar then? Because I can, and I became captivated by what I’d read and heard about the S2 Studio. That said, I’m floored at the variety of tones. The humbucker is super versatile, and extremely responsive to the guitar tone and volume, and amp gain - truly surprising versatility to me. The single coils have a great tone, not near as bright as strat style single coils. The 2, 3 and 4 positions are cool. 3 is especially interesting with the bridge humbucker and neck single. It is a bunch brighter than I expected, I guess kinda tele-like. In general, my SE CU22 has much hotter pickups. The Studio is much more to my style. It has great round cleans, thru vintage Hendrix era stuff, and seems like it can do a convincing high gain tone with a bunch of amp gain and the guitar tone knob rolled back on the humbucker. It also sounds great in the 4 and 5 single coil lead tones. I’m really digging it! I find this instrument inspiring. I never felt the same with the SE CU22. The short answer - I like the tones a lot.

Back