NGD - S2 Singlecut \m/-_-\m/

atreyu2112

Hi guys. This might be my first post. I haven't seen any other NGD for the S2 Singlecut so I thought I'd post mine. I got this a couple days ago and took some real quick pics with the phone...

1959853_433970690039455_102745595_n.jpg

998147_434026650033859_627294297_n.jpg

I also received a 2014 SE Zach Myers, more on that in a minute...

Back to the S2... So, right when the first batch of S2's hit, I was able to try a couple S2 Custom 24's and I really liked everything about it. The neck, the weight, the fit & feel... tone was awesome. But I'm not really a 24 fret guy. I figured I'd wait and see if we'd get 22's. When I found out a Singlecut was coming, I was already pulling out my wallet. Needless to say, I think Sweetwater is the only place that has had any for sale. They had a red one, a blackburst one and mine. When it came in stock, I actually couldn't pull the trigger at that moment. So, I sweated it out for a week and luckily, when it came time, they still had this one (which is the color I wanted anyway).

My best description right out of the box was like... coming home. It honestly felt like I've ALWAYS owned this guitar. Like reuniting with an old friend. Like the CU24's I had previously played, It felt great, fit great, is well weighted and balanced. The neck, I am in love with the contour. Slightly rounder than a wide fat (if I'm wording that right). The pickups are really nice as well. Not as hot/high output as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, still a tone of character raunch & grit. Just a little more old school character, warm and throaty if you will... Similar to Dragon II but a little different. I play mostly hard rock & metal like Rush, King's X, Alter Bridge type stuff. The cleans, rhythm & high gain stuff sounds great to me. The tap's just add dimension. Not quit as intense and spanky as other P'ups sound tapped, more like another dimension. I'm a real fan of this guitar and I am totally stoked to finally own it.

Onto the 2014 SE ZM ... another KILLER instrument. I bought this mostly because I love so much how it looks. The color combo between the woods and top is just stellar. The tone was very rich and up front. The deal breaker is that unfinished (or is it satin??) wide fat neck. Oh, so so smooth and comfy! UNFORTUNATELY, the veneer top on the one I received was, how do I say... TERRIBLE. It looked like a 4-piece top, or like they decided only to stain just the middle and forget about the outer top? Dunno, but I knew I couldn't live with it. The more I looked at it, the more it irked me. . .

1927123_433438596759331_657225412_n.jpg

1974451_433438683425989_1670602197_n.jpg

I don't know. Someone else might like that look, but not me. So I sent it back. Now I have to wait for the next batch at the end of March, but I'm definitely getting another ASAP!

Well, hope you guys enjoyed my rant. Cheers!

I came SOO close to pulling the trigger on that S2 Singlecut you have from Sweetwater. Just as I made a decision to try it was gone. Good for you! Hey my thoughts on those. Have a set of the new PRS \m/ pickups in it. They can be coil split too! then the music you play could be killed easily! and still cheaper than a higher end adding those pups.

That was a bad vaneer. No way that should of been made like that. Good candidate for a solid color top...

That guitar reminds me of the very first Modern Eagles ever made. We used maple with a lot of mineral streaks for the tops. The Modern Eagles were then and still are, one of my favorite PRS guitars ever made.

how similar (or dissimilar) does it sound to a Les Paul? I am very interested in finding a LP-ish PRS. I am considering one of these or going the slightly cheaper route of buying an SE245 and dropping a set of WCR PAFs in it.

Well, I really like the newer 2013-2014 Gibsons I have played. Especially the Studio Deluxe II 60s neck. It was actually a big contender for this purchase. That guitar is about the same price. I went for the PRS for of a few reasons. 1. they feel like they're made with more love than the Gibson. I just get a warmer vibe, and it feels better to me. While the Gibson played amazing and sounded great, it felt cold to me. Don't know how else to put it. I also like the locking tuners and on the Gibson, I'd definitely have to swap them, adding to the cost. I like the fact the strings are more in-line from the nut to the tuning peg. And the big reasons for PRS... the back belly bevel, the neck joint contour & birds, lol. Both had a decent weight and felt well balanced. I do really love the spring loaded coil tapping tone pots on the Gibson though, those are sweet!

The #7 pickups are WAY different compared to the Studio Deluxe II. Bridge Pup's ... #7s are more full bodied and warmer. Not quite as hot. Less presence and a bit more mids. Similar to Dragon IIs. The SDII had more of a raw raunchy gritty sound. Both neck Pups sound great in their own right, just as good as one another. Hard to compare without both of them in my hand.

The PRS S2 Singlecut, to me, is very similar to a Les Paul. But here's the kicker... ANY S2 I have picked up and played has been amazing. Les Pauls... I could pick up a dozen of the same model and old 1 or 2 would be worth while, let alone Traditional vs Studio vs Standard, etc...
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back