NGD: S2 24....with a twist

stankbank

Hey friends! New to the forum and new to PRS. Today I got my first - a S2 24 fret in Red Fire Burst.

I will say, the top was a little - underwhelming - HOWEVER, it plays insanely well and sounds amazing - super resonant and screams when using my rig. The notes bloom and blossom so perfectly when bending and sustaining.

I went to another guitar store about 2 hours later to find a PRS leather strap, and found out they have the same model, but with a much nicer top.

Crap.

The thing is, the guitar shop where I purchased the first one - I have already returned 2 guitars there in the last month (failed attempt at buying a sterling 7 string - two models were just terrible QC)....sigh. Not sure what to do. Given that mine actually plays amazing (and didn't really put the second one through the paces..) - maybe I will keep it and live with it.

Hey friends! New to the forum and new to PRS. Today I got my first - a S2 24 fret in Red Fire Burst.

I will say, the top was a little - underwhelming - HOWEVER, it plays insanely well and sounds amazing - super resonant and screams when using my rig. The notes bloom and blossom so perfectly when bending and sustaining.

I went to another guitar store about 2 hours later to find a PRS leather strap, and found out they have the same model, but with a much nicer top.

Crap.

The thing is, the guitar shop where I purchased the first one - I have already returned 2 guitars there in the last month (failed attempt at buying a sterling 7 string - two models were just terrible QC)....sigh. Not sure what to do. Given that mine actually plays amazing (and didn't really put the second one through the paces..) - maybe I will keep it and live with it.
Welcome to the forum and addiction club stankbank! Don't worry about keeping this one, there will be others!! Although you may like the other top better, the S2 line is not known for it's bling, just great solid US made 6 strings!!! Continue falling in love with the one you have in hand, and when you get your next one, take your time to find the perfect top!!!!

We want guitars to sound great, feel great, and look great.

In my experience, it's supremely difficult (or a rare matter of luck) to get one that does all three - especially when comparing two examples of the same model. I've put myself through a lot of churn (especially with PRS, primarily because of the importance of looks with the brand) trying to optimize all three factors with a given model. I'm mostly playing in the SE arena, where the stakes are lower (and truly spectacular tops are rarer) - but I've often found myself with 2-3 examples of the same model, obsessively comparing scores in all three categories to choose Best of Bunch. Sometimes I end up holding on to a couple of them. Rarely does a particular guitar win all three heats of the Magic Marathon.

I know one of the key attributes of PRS guitars (in any range) is supposed to be at least the consistency of build quality and tone, as well as attention to details of fit and finish. And surenough, I've never held a new one which wasn't pretty well tweaked, with excellent playability on a straight neck, or which had unacceptable build/fit/finish goobers. So far so good.

But even within that general consistency, there can still be differences in tone and response between examples of the same model. I'll end up making sure I have the same brand and gauge of strings, obsessively measuring action and pickup height to get everything same-same - and still find slight differences. I meter pickup output (which varies surprisingly).

And how can feel vary between examples of the same model, built to the same specs, with (presumably) the same QC? And yet it does - slightly perhaps, but enough for lost rabbits in their very deep holes to get perfectionist about.

When I only had one PRS, I found it perfect in every way. (Later, comparing it to another of the same model, I find it is comparatively perfect. While both are cosmetically perfect faultless builds, somehow the first one sounds that little bit more majestic.) So I assumed all PRSeseses are perfect.

Got another SE - and in playability and tone, it was likewise perfect. But the top was underwhelming, there was some undisclosed finish damage (I bought it used), and it needed some fret dressing. Then I churned through a bunch of the same model, looking for that holy trinity of Best Tone, Feel, and Looks. When I finally did come into that one...it slipped out of my hands on the bench and took a deep and stomach-churning gouge to the top. I still have it - from a short distance, my repair isn't completely nauseating, and it still has the tone and feel - but I'm always looking for a better one.

And in pretty much every case where I brought in contenders which looked better than one I already had (or were in a color I liked better at the moment)...you can probably guess. The best lookers aren't often the sweetest-voiced or best-feeling candidates. (Feel free to compare that phenomenon to dating...)

So. The history from which that (possible) wisdom emerges has been with SEs; my experience with Cores and S2s is much narrower. I reckon it's possible that all Cores and S2s are triple-crown 3-in-one trinities. (Though judging from reports in these pages, I think perhaps not.) Thus I can't give you firm advice to keep the bird in hand rather than looking for one in the greener grass, etc etc.

But I sure wouldn't assume the nicer-figured top (and I'm with you, it's definitely more of a looker) necessarily adorns a guitar that feels and sounds as good as the one you have. Given the opportunity (which you apparently have), I'd definitely play the new candidate to vet its bonafides, preferably with your current guitar at hand to compare them back-to-back. If it does feel and sound as good as Plain Jane...I'd probably try to return the other in order to get it. Because a triple-crown winner is just that precious.

However, if the same rules govern the S2 domain as govern SE-Land, you may find Plain(er) Jane is actually the guitar of your dreams, and the glamour queen with the gorgeous figure is more show than go.

You know. Or not!

Last edited:
We want guitars to sound great, feel great, and look great.

In my experience, it's supremely difficult (or a rare matter of luck) to get one that does all three - especially when comparing two examples of the same model. I've put myself through a lot of churn (especially with PRS, primarily because of the importance of looks with the brand) trying to optimize all three factors with a given model. I'm mostly playing in the SE arena, where the stakes are lower (and truly spectacular tops are rarer) - but I've often found myself with 2-3 examples of the same model, obsessively comparing scores in all three categories to choose Best of Bunch. Sometimes I end up holding on to a couple of them. Rarely does a particular guitar win all three heats of the Magic Marathon.

I know one of the key attributes of PRS guitars (in any range) is supposed to be at least the consistency of build quality and tone, as well as attention to details of fit and finish. But even within that general consistency, there can still be differences in tone and response between examples of the same model. I'll end up making sure I have the same brand and gauge of strings, obsessively measuring action and pickup height to get everything same-same - and still find slight differences. I meter pickup output (which varies surprisingly).

And how can feel vary between examples of the same model, built to the same specs, with (presumably) the same QC? And yet it does - slightly perhaps, but enough for lost rabbits in their very deep holes to get perfectionist about.

When I only had one PRS, I found it perfect in every way. (Later, comparing it to another of the same model, I find it is comparatively perfect. While both are cosmetically perfect faultless builds, somehow the first one sounds that little bit more majestic.) So I assumed all PRSeseses are perfect.

Got another SE - and in playability and tone, it was likewise perfect. But the top was underwhelming, there was some undisclosed finish damage (I bought it used), and it needed some fret dressing. Then I churned through a bunch of the same model, looking for that holy trinity of Best Tone, Feel, and Looks. When I finally did come into that one...it slipped out of my hands on the bench and took a deep and stomach-churning gouge to the top. I still have it - from a short distance, my repair isn't completely nauseating, and it still has the tone and feel - but I'm always looking for a better one.

And in pretty much every case where I brought in contenders which looked better than one I already had (or were in a color I liked better at the moment)...you can probably guess. The best lookers aren't often the sweetest-voiced or best-feeling candidates. (Feel free to compare that phenomenon to dating...)

So. The history from which that (possible) wisdom emerges has been with SEs; my experience with Cores and S2s is much narrower. I reckon it's possible that all Cores and S2s are triple-crown 3-in-one trinities. (Though judging from reports in these pages, I think perhaps not.) Thus I can't give you firm advice to keep the bird in hand rather than looking for one in the greener grass, etc etc.

But I sure wouldn't assume the nicer-figured top (and I'm with you, it's definitely more of a looker) necessarily adorns a guitar that feels and sounds as good as the one you have. Given the opportunity (which you apparently have), I'd definitely play the new candidate to vet its bonafides, preferably with your current guitar at hand to compare them back-to-back. If it does feel and sound as good as Plain Jane...I'd probably try to return the other in order to get it. Because a triple-crown winner is just that precious.

However, if the same rules govern the S2 domain as govern SE-Land, you may find Plain(er) Jane is actually the guitar of your dreams, and the glamour queen with the gorgeous figure is more show than go.

You know. Or not!

This was a crazy good post - thank you!

I'd say keep the one you have. Even though PRS puts a lot of effort into ensuring consistency, every guitar is different and if the one you have feels and sounds great, while looking just ok, that's a keeper in my book. Remember, a gorgeous 10-top doesn't inherently *sound* any better than an SE Veneer

Remember, a gorgeous 10-top doesn't inherently *sound* any better than an SE Veneer

Ainit the truth! That's what I remind myself every time I see an eye-popping WL or PS which has exactly the same specs (other than cosmetics) as my lowly Core - which cost multiple thousands of thin American dollars less.

But my eyes still pop and I still salivate. (Except for the ones whose appearance is garish, lurid, and grotesque. Then no saliva. Eyes still popped though.)

Last edited:
I prefer the one you bought. Might just be lighting, saturation of your pics.

Which ever one you settle on, I hope it brings you a lot of fun.

Crap.

I like the second picture, but the feel is more important.

Back