NGD! Red Handed Limited Run

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
I've had a McCarty Burst P22 with 53/10s since very shortly after they were released. It's a non-10 top, but still a great top, and the finish is pretty classy (a little too classy for me :wave:). I've always liked the 53/10s. It's really just been a backup gig guitar for my SC HB II, with my dad (the other guitarist in that band) playing it occasionally for "acoustic" parts.

We both decided a trem P22 would probably get more use, so began the search. Well, the search didn't last long, as Brian posted the thread about the stolen and returned guitars. One of which was a P22 trem 10 top in Obsidian (side note: my childhood cat was named Obsidian, and when PRS started using this color combo, I loved it). It turns out the nicks this one received from being tossed around case-less were relatively minor, and mostly on the back of the body.

Quick tone report: I've got four PRSi with 57/08s--all covered pups. This one is the first guitar with uncovered 57/08s that I've even played. There is the obvious difference between my other P22 with it's fixed bridge. I also haven't tweaked the pup height on the new one.

So, this one is noticeably brighter than any other PRS I have. Compared to other P22, this one has less output, but more articulation. I can definitely hear the "zing" of the trem, compared to the stoptail. The 2 and 4 positions are much more Strat-like than the 53/10s.

Driven (pushed amp output, boost pedal, or pedal OD) the guitar is amazing. The increased articulation pays off amazingly well when things start breaking up. Where the other P22 has been a hard rock monster when pushed hard, the new one screams CLASSIC ROCK! It can convincingly cover singlecoil or humbucker crunch and leads. Too cool.

I think the other P22 is on its way out. The new one just fits me better.

Crappy pics. I'll try to take some glamour shots this weekend.

20150129_074135_zpsdglr5vby.jpg

20150129_074106_zpshwcvifbl.jpg

20150129_074205_zps3m2txafc.jpg

I love that color too . Great choice , a p22 is a great guitar and on my bucket list. Congratulations...HNGD,!!!

I'd like to see the one you might unload lol

Last edited:
Great thread title, it gets my vote for best of 2015....caught red handed......still chuckling. Sweet guitar too!

Thanks, guys. I had some more time with it yesterday, and actually got to run the piezo through the PA (via a BBE Sonic Acoustimax DI/sonic maximizer. There is definitely something to the trem/piezo combo! I've been using piezo-equipped electrics for a couple decades now and I think this one is the best I've heard. The SC HB II sounds really acoustic-like for a piezo, but I think the trem really adds some nice brilliance, while reducing the quack. Too cool.

It's gonna get some serious play time!

And, thanks again, Brian.

I've had a McCarty Burst P22 with 53/10s since very shortly after they were released. It's a non-10 top, but still a great top, and the finish is pretty classy (a little too classy for me :wave:). I've always liked the 53/10s. It's really just been a backup gig guitar for my SC HB II, with my dad (the other guitarist in that band) playing it occasionally for "acoustic" parts.

We both decided a trem P22 would probably get more use, so began the search. Well, the search didn't last long, as Brian posted the thread about the stolen and returned guitars. One of which was a P22 trem 10 top in Obsidian (side note: my childhood cat was named Obsidian, and when PRS started using this color combo, I loved it). It turns out the nicks this one received from being tossed around case-less were relatively minor, and mostly on the back of the body.

Quick tone report: I've got four PRSi with 57/08s--all covered pups. This one is the first guitar with uncovered 57/08s that I've even played. There is the obvious difference between my other P22 with it's fixed bridge. I also haven't tweaked the pup height on the new one.

So, this one is noticeably brighter than any other PRS I have. Compared to other P22, this one has less output, but more articulation. I can definitely hear the "zing" of the trem, compared to the stoptail. The 2 and 4 positions are much more Strat-like than the 53/10s.

Driven (pushed amp output, boost pedal, or pedal OD) the guitar is amazing. The increased articulation pays off amazingly well when things start breaking up. Where the other P22 has been a hard rock monster when pushed hard, the new one screams CLASSIC ROCK! It can convincingly cover singlecoil or humbucker crunch and leads. Too cool.

I think the other P22 is on its way out. The new one just fits me better.

Crappy pics. I'll try to take some glamour shots this weekend.

20150129_074135_zpsdglr5vby.jpg

20150129_074106_zpshwcvifbl.jpg

20150129_074205_zps3m2txafc.jpg

Are you going to get it repaired?

Had some band time with it today. Still loving it. The acoustic tones are great and fit the overall mix really well. The electric options cover so many bases. The other guitar play played his Studio and a really great sounding Strat, and the P22 fit really well with both. It's not the woolly beast the SC HB II is, which makes it a great compliment. I'm not sure if I said it earlier, but we tend to take three guitars to each gig--the SC HB II for me, he usually brings a 408 Artist or his Studio, and we share the P22 (and I bring a lapsteel). That meant two stoptail guitars for me, unfortunately. Now, we be rockin'.

Tabl10s, no, I'm not going to have it refinished. The scuffing is mainly on the back. The one mark on the top is not too bad, and in a good location to not be noticed. I'm also not afraid of it picking up more dings, since it's not a virgin anymore.

Had some band time with it today. Still loving it. The acoustic tones are great and fit the overall mix really well. The electric options cover so many bases. The other guitar play played his Studio and a really great sounding Strat, and the P22 fit really well with both. It's not the woolly beast the SC HB II is, which makes it a great compliment. I'm not sure if I said it earlier, but we tend to take three guitars to each gig--the SC HB II for me, he usually brings a 408 Artist or his Studio, and we share the P22 (and I bring a lapsteel). That meant two stoptail guitars for me, unfortunately. Now, we be rockin'.

Tabl10s, no, I'm not going to have it refinished. The scuffing is mainly on the back. The one mark on the top is not too bad, and in a good location to not be noticed. I'm also not afraid of it picking up more dings, since it's not a virgin anymore.

I was the number two guy for the Dbl 10-Top because I BS'd around instead of calling about it when i saw the post. The one would've been re-done.

No licking! While the thieves did a fair job relic(k)ing the back of the body, the top is lick-free.

More pics...

IMG_0792_zpseab3015e.jpg

Last edited:
Back