NGD - My first brand new PRS

Thanks everyone for all love! I'm in love with this guitar - she screams and plays like a dream! Definitely a keeper!

Hah!
I'm also in Perth. Just trying to find a decent selection of SE line guitars is difficult.
You have to work really hard to get your hands on a Core model these days it seems.
Nice guitar.

Ha, howdy fellow Perth member! I was in Concept Music yesterday and they seemed to have a decent selection of SE guitars, they also have a renovation sale on them until the end of this weekend, I believe. Could be worth a look?

That finish is really nice! I’m glad you were able to get the guitar you wanted. It’s such a nice feeling when you find “the one.”

Thanks, Rick. I have to admit, I'd gotten a bit jaded after the first two, so it was nice to get some validation that I wasn't being unrealistic in what I was chasing/expecting when I got this one.

Score! I consider myself 1/4 Australian (not really) since I lived in Melbourne for 3 years so I always "root" for Aussies to land nice guitars. Get it?

Ha, always nice to have someone rooting for us Aussies!

Definitnely been giving it a good thrashing this weekend - my fingers actually hurt from the amount I've played it :eek:

I'm actually really loving the middle position with both coils split - it sound glorious through a Fender Deluxe patch on my Helix with a bit of reverb and delay! It also rocks out pretty hard in the bridge position through a Mesa Dual Reco patch, too! :D

Trying to decide if I can be bothered changing the vintage tuners over to some Phase 3 lockers...we'll see...

Last edited:
Nice! Bummer about the first 2. Haven’t really heard of dead spot issues with the 594. Glad you found one finally. Great looking guitar for sure. Enjoy it down there in the land of Vool. One of my favorite bands.

Curiously, there is a note that sustains somewhat noticeably less than those around it on this guitar too, although it's not nearly as bad as the first two (i.e. not bad enough that I think I'd want to return it) - and this one is a fret higher than on the other two. If you play it through something high gain, it goes into feedback (i.e. the body of the note disappears) noticeably sooner than the surrounding notes. I appreciate all guitars will have some notes that sustain shorter/longer than others - and on this guitar I think it's something I could play around, especially compared with the previous two guitars. Still a little annoying though, as I don't know that I've noticed this anywhere on my recently acquired strat...

If I put my G7th capo on the headstock it seems to remove it completely. This is partly why I'd be curious about swapping the tuners out to Phase 3 locking tuners, as they're a little heavier than the vintage style (from a post I saw in the 2020 McCarty 594 love thread)...although I'm not sure if the weight difference between the two would equal a G7th capo?

Last edited:
I feel like I need a second (or more) opinion on this please, because I'm super torn and trying to decide if I'm just being pedantic, or if I'm being legit in seeing this as an issue (especially for this price).

Here's a recording of the guitar:
  1. First note is the b string in the 11th fret
  2. Second note is the b string in the 12 fret - the dead note
  3. Third note is the b string in the 13th fret
https://soundcloud.com/remisrecords/dead-notes/s-H5l2lQjAzvg

And visually, the recording looks like this:

LojJ9cT.jpg

It's not a set-up issue, been all over that thoroughly, plus it does the same thing on the g string in the 16th fret and d string 21st fret - so it's a resonant frequency issue.

I've been all over my strat and much cheaper LP copy (LTD EC 1000) and haven't found there to be nearly as profound a noticeable difference as I get with this 594 :(

yeah you can hear that note dying off faster but as you mentioned is it bad enough to warrant return? It's far better that than to have a spot on the neck where you can't even get a note and instead get buzzing. I have had that happened on a cheaper Strat. The 21st D string note wouldn't bother me. Who uses that on a McCarty?
Ultimately keeping the guitar will be up to you. Given that it's from a dealer you have the option to return. If this will deter you from enjoying the guitar than return it. Otherwise you'll likely try to sell the guitar down the road rather than truly bond with it

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Great looking guitar and as others have said, pleased for you that you have found the “one”.

I feel like I need a second (or more) opinion on this please, because I'm super torn and trying to decide if I'm just being pedantic, or if I'm being legit in seeing this as an issue (especially for this price).

Here's a recording of the guitar:
  1. First note is the b string in the 11th fret
  2. Second note is the b string in the 12 fret - the dead note
  3. Third note is the b string in the 13th fret
https://soundcloud.com/remisrecords/dead-notes/s-H5l2lQjAzvg

And visually, the recording looks like this:

LojJ9cT.jpg

It's not a set-up issue, been all over that thoroughly, plus it does the same thing on the g string in the 16th fret and d string 21st fret - so it's a resonant frequency issue.

I've been all over my strat and much cheaper LP copy (LTD EC 1000) and haven't found there to be nearly as profound a noticeable difference as I get with this 594 :(
I wouldn't let that bother me. Playing what I play, I'd likely never notice it. But, that's me. I'd look at it like that. Are you ever going to be playing something and have that happen? If yes, tough call. If no, rock on!

All relationships are about how much do you want to give and how much do you want to take. It is true of every single element in our lives, not just people. When I am sitting on my office chair, I am taking from it, support to keep me off the ground. I give to it a purpose and gave it's creators money to have the support and also maintain it as necessary. Same is true of our cars, our food, etc. So in this situation, how much do you want to give (your time playing, the money spent) and how much do you want to take (long sustains, perfect intonation, perfect action, etc.) from this guitar. As others have said, if you are not going to be trying to get a 12 second sustain from that position on the fretboard, it should not matter.

I think it does matter though considering the caliber of guitar it is. If it were an SE, I would keep it and recognize it for what it is, less than perfect. But when I am purchasing a brand new core guitar for thousands of dollars, I expect nothing less than perfection. The fact that 3 of them have had similar issues is alarming and I think worth the effort to initiate some sort of review of this situation.

Now I am going to check the sustain on both of my core models for sustain issues. Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole!!! Best of luck in resolution on this and I will report back (may be a week or more) on what I find on my CU24 and my McCarty HBII (both of them with 2021 final assembly dates).

Happy pickin' (and sustain)!
MW

yeah you can hear that note dying off faster but as you mentioned is it bad enough to warrant return? It's far better that than to have a spot on the neck where you can't even get a note and instead get buzzing. I have had that happened on a cheaper Strat. The 21st D string note wouldn't bother me. Who uses that on a McCarty?
Ultimately keeping the guitar will be up to you. Given that it's from a dealer you have the option to return. If this will deter you from enjoying the guitar than return it. Otherwise you'll likely try to sell the guitar down the road rather than truly bond with it

Yeah, the 21st D string note doesn't bother me - was more just using that to show it's the same note (i.e. frequency).

I wouldn't let that bother me. Playing what I play, I'd likely never notice it. But, that's me. I'd look at it like that. Are you ever going to be playing something and have that happen? If yes, tough call. If no, rock on!

I guess this is what I'm now starting to question. Am I just playing that note all the time and trying to make it sustain because I've noticed it, and does that mean it won't actually be an issue when playing normally? I haven't arrived at an answer yet though, unfortunately...

All relationships are about how much do you want to give and how much do you want to take. It is true of every single element in our lives, not just people. When I am sitting on my office chair, I am taking from it, support to keep me off the ground. I give to it a purpose and gave it's creators money to have the support and also maintain it as necessary. Same is true of our cars, our food, etc. So in this situation, how much do you want to give (your time playing, the money spent) and how much do you want to take (long sustains, perfect intonation, perfect action, etc.) from this guitar. As others have said, if you are not going to be trying to get a 12 second sustain from that position on the fretboard, it should not matter.

I think it does matter though considering the caliber of guitar it is. If it were an SE, I would keep it and recognize it for what it is, less than perfect. But when I am purchasing a brand new core guitar for thousands of dollars, I expect nothing less than perfection. The fact that 3 of them have had similar issues is alarming and I think worth the effort to initiate some sort of review of this situation.

Now I am going to check the sustain on both of my core models for sustain issues. Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole!!! Best of luck in resolution on this and I will report back (may be a week or more) on what I find on my CU24 and my McCarty HBII (both of them with 2021 final assembly dates).

Happy pickin' (and sustain)!
MW

Curiously (and I don't know if this has made me feel better or worse), I went on a deeper hunt with my strat and also found a note or two that do similar (g string 13th fret and b string 9th fret) , although perhaps slightly less noticeable than on the 594 due to the difference in pickup output between the guitars. From the rabbit hole of reading and investigating I've been on (and the emails with PRS) it seems that it's somewhat the nature of guitars and can (and does) happen on all brands and models to some degree. Gibson SG's are notorious for a particular note doing this, but in that case it has basically zero sustain and just dies straight away. Looks almost like double cut mahogany body and neck combos are more prone, especially with a thinner body, but then also apparently LP's can have issues too (besides the headstock snapping if you look at them funny, I mean...)....

To some degree I can play around it, some vibrato helps in certain situations...but I dunno where I land with all this...

Last edited:
Back