NGD - My first brand new PRS

GraphicGoose

Hello all, I'm new around here and thought I'd share my NGD with some people I feel were likely to appreciate it the most. I had quite the journey getting to this point, as the universe seemed to make me want to work hard to get this guitar.

I've played s-style guitars mostly, but have recently been GASing for some LP style tones...but never been overly keen on LP's themselves. I previously bought an ESP LTD XEC-1000 CTM, but found I'm not super sold on the SC, and this one in particular was super body heavy.

So I started looking around, played a LP Modern in a local music shop a couple of times in faded pelham blue that tickled my fancy...but just couldn't quite pull the trigger. Started doing some research about LP alternatives and came across the DC McCarty 594 - seemed like exactly what I was after!

Did a bit of a search and found there was an early 2019 build in a local guitar shop in charcoal burst, so went to check it out and fell pretty hard for it and took it home with me. Really bonded with it, until I found a very noticeable dead note (like sub 2-second sustain before VERY rapid/instant decay) on the g-string at the 15th fret, which was also noticeable on the b-string at the 11th fret. Did a bit of research and spoke to PRS and came to the conclusion this is just, unfortunately, what can happen with guitars sometimes. But once I'd heard it, I couldn't unhear it and returned the guitar.

Managed to find another local guitar shop that had a DC 594, so went to have a play of that one...and what would you know, it had the same issue as the one I'd previously bought :( This one was also an early 2019 built model.

I'm from Perth in Western Australia and we don't really have an ubundance of PRS core guitars in stock over here unfortunately, so I was a bit deflated after my experience so far, and given both examples of this model I'd played both exhibited the same issue I was a little hesistant about buying online.

I managed to find a guitar store in Melbourne who had a couple of 594's in stock (one of which was a rather striking artist package, but just wasn't quite my thing) and seemed to have a really good returns policy, so I called them up and had a chat about their returns policy and my situation. The girl I dealt with was really helpful and got their guitar techs to check this model out for me and called back to confirm they'd found no dead notes...so I decided to place the order and hope for the best.

I placed the order on Tuesday and the tracking suggested it was going to arrive the following Tuesday (this is standard expected shipping times in Aus - we don't have quite the shipping services the US does), but got an awesome surprise text message this morning saying my guitar was onboard for delivery today, just in time for the weekend!

I have to admit, I was pretty nervous when plugging it in, as I would have been really gutted if this one also had dead notes. Thankfully, though, this one is perfect! So I'm now the proud owner of a 2020 PRS McCarty 594 10 Top in Orange Tiger, which I think has some really cool patterns in the maple top :)

This is my first nitro finished guitar though (any tips/advice?), so I'm off to the guitar shop tomorrow to get some Hercules hangers and stands to do some nitro safe redecorating in my studio.

IXtCThT.jpg

iziHnpV.jpg

PL02fHb.jpg

sKr1VUu.jpg

NsS8vrS.jpg

lXhgeoQ.jpg

oWBEyg2.jpg

Hah!
I'm also in Perth. Just trying to find a decent selection of SE line guitars is difficult.
You have to work really hard to get your hands on a Core model these days it seems.
Nice guitar.

Score! I consider myself 1/4 Australian (not really) since I lived in Melbourne for 3 years so I always "root" for Aussies to land nice guitars. Get it?

Congratulations.....
I was kind of like you in that I was primarily Strat/Fender player and didn't want to
Go down the gibson road, but wanted a humbucker guitar.
PRS fixed the issues with Gibson's (tuning issues,nut) but hung like Strats.
Made a believer out of me......enjoy!!

Back