NGD - Howard Leese golden eagle - Number 42

I haven't played a Santana, so I can't make that comparison. The pickups however, are PRS winds replicating the Seymour Duncans in the original Eagle. The bridge is pretty hot, around 12k from memory and the neck is more PAF like at around 7 to 7.5k. There is a thread devoted to the Golden Eagle over at the Vintage Rocker forum. Howard himself backs up the details on the pickups. A link to the thread is attatched.

http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/showthread.html?21782-Howard-Leese-Golden-Eagle

The circuitry is a master volume,a tone control for each pickup and a 3 way blade selector.

No worries, g.wizz.

Gotta say, the 3 knob layout, which is also shared by my Hamer Sunburst (2 vol, 1 tone), can cause confusion when swapping between the two. Times that I have gone to the Eagle and rolled on the middle knob thinking it's the bridge volume, when in fact it's the neck tone. Doh!!!!

From the nearest to the bridge pickup the controls are Volume/Neck Tone/Bridge Tone. I guess it's much like a Strat really, with the Volume closest to the pickup then the 2 Tone controls.

Fantastic guitar, congrats on a great score, and welcome to the club. (I have #88 myself)

Going by the tarnishing on the bridge, that's been played a bit too, which is as it should be. Love the flame on it too.

It indeed has, its in the shop right now for a crown and a fettle. I prefer em played to be honest, that way i'm not too guilty doing the same myself. Im now part of your illustrious club and now i own one i can safely say we are very very very lucky boys!

Is it possible to elaborate how much it departs tone wise from the Santana format?
How hot the pickups are? how different the circuitry is?

Well tone wise its a bit thicker and has a bit more bite (on account of the leese pickups that were faithful repros of leeses own and the thicker body) there no clever circuitry hidden away either, just like a strat config (3 way not 5). the pickups dont seem that hoot to me personally, much sweeter than the normal rounded nature of prs pickups. These are handmade by the master builders (knaggs and co) and honestly you can tell, its an amazing playing instrument that sounds simply sublime. Sustain for days, rings like a bell and can cut some rug if needed. I can safely say its not going anywhere!

Well i posted a teaser a few days ago about my latest acquisition and here she is! Heres a little bity about them if someone is wondering The Howard Leese Limited Private Stock Golden Eagle Electric Guitar is identical to the instrument that Paul Reed Smith built for Howard in the early 1980s, which was the first PRS to have a maple top. This is a limited run of 100 guitars. Features unique to the Howard Leese Gold Eagle include a thicker mahogany body, a wide-fat neck profile with a modified heel, a pre-factory Santana headstock shape, an ebony headstock veneer, and a vintage amber finish. Appointments include a curly maple top, bird fingerboard inlays, green abalone strips running parallel between the two Howard Leese Zebra pickups, crème pickup rings, and amber top hat style control knobs. Ive tried to keep the photos as 'vintage' like as possible.
Anyways, hope you enjoy her!

Nice

Show off your Howard Leese Golden Eagles!!! 59 of 100...

343442667_1655163268279607_2590426792680088181_n.jpg

Back