NGD: '91 CE24 Alder plus advice needed!

I would be fairly annoyed about the fret condition, but as has been noted it is otherwise a really good guitar. I would do a reality check on how much I would have in the guitar after a refret and probably convince myself it was still a good buy - assuming getting a partial refund goes nowhere.

It really is a great top. For me that would tick the value up.

I have a 1962 Fender Duo Sonic with fret wear as bad as this. Keep it and get it refretted, it's beautiful.

I scratch my head at any collector that does not believe in proper conservation efforts (ie "if you touch a solder joint, you've destroyed it's value"). If it doesn't play the way the manufacturer intended, it's no longer an instrument. Send it to PTC for the refret and then rock it. Btw, this is my plan for 1988 CE #341, frets are beat but this one was also rode hard and put away wet. Huge amount of wear everywhere.

I have no problem with modding this at all. I have a dragon bridge pickup that is screaming to be pit in there! Just that both I and another bidder specifically asked about this issue. This is extremely rare on Yahoo auctions, mostly the condition is much better than described. It was a reasonable price but the fact that this was an auction and the price did go up at the end a fair bit due to his description makes it very dishonest. A bit of fret wear would be fine but this is too much. The fact that the end pin fell out straight away was also annoying. It was obviously loved and played to this state then shut in the case for a long time. I have already decided to refret it and keep it.

I have no problem with modding this at all. I have a dragon bridge pickup that is screaming to be pit in there! Just that both I and another bidder specifically asked about this issue. This is extremely rare on Yahoo auctions, mostly the condition is much better than described. It was a reasonable price but the fact that this was an auction and the price did go up at the end a fair bit due to his description makes it very dishonest. A bit of fret wear would be fine but this is too much. The fact that the end pin fell out straight away was also annoying. It was obviously loved and played to this state then shut in the case for a long time. I have already decided to refret it and keep it.
Glad to hear you're keeping it! Not so happy about the circumstances of the auction and the level of "dishonesty." That screams for someone's kneecaps.

Last edited:
Update, the seller has come to his senses and has offered a full refund minus shipping one way. But I'm already attached and he would just pass it on to someone else so will ask again to share the refret cost and keep her. As many people said, it deserves to be looked after!

Ok, so people with stainless frets on a prs, what do you think? Quite an up charge here. I liked them on a suhr I has but did have different feel and sound (unplugged anyway)

I wish I could do it to all my guitars, but all dentist work is expensive. I most likely will eventually. In terms of sound, I feel it makes the guitar more brighter and a bit more snappier, thats just me. But you probably should take some one else's advice, I might not be the right guy to give advice :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm a hack, so take this for what it's worth; I love the ss on the dgt, and I had an '01 SC refretted with jumbo ss. Loved it too.

Ok, so people with stainless frets on a prs, what do you think? Quite an up charge here. I liked them on a suhr I has but did have different feel and sound (unplugged anyway)

I don't like the added brightness of the SS frets. I'd just go back with the same as is on there (but that's just me). If you use the tone knob to bring your tone off the highs, you may not want SS.

I don't like the added brightness of the SS frets. I'd just go back with the same as is on there (but that's just me). If you use the tone knob to bring your tone off the highs, you may not want SS.

Thanks for making that connection between ss frets and rolling back the tone knob. That answered all my questions.

Spoke with the seller on the phone. Seemed very nice, he had the guitar from new but hadn't played in a long time. Just bought a new custom 24.

Obviously not that knowledgable and we had a nice chat. He offered to refund $300 or full refund. I showed him this thread and he was very happy about the positive comments. that I was going to repair it and look after it. So I'm definitely getting the frets done. Great guitar.

Looks like this will have a happy ending!

Too many nice PRS popping up used here! Dangerous! I should diversify but I am weak for PRS!

I bought one of the new 1958 reissue 335s at Kurosawa music the other day and I had this guitar with me to get some quotes. The guys there know me and have done a lot of business with them so they offered to get their repair guy (apparently a brilliant repair guy they just hired) to do it at cost price. They thought it was a cool guitar. The fact it has all the paperwork and original import docs and warranty is quite unusual as very few PRS were officially imported back then, most were parallel imports. So I am taking her in to today to start the ball rolling.

Now to go with original sized frets or try something like 6105s which I have on a Suhr and like a lot. hmm...

Well, I finally got my CE-24 back from having a refret and I am so glad I did. The repair guy did a top notch job, fretboard now looks very nice indeed. Perfect refret with Jescar jumbo frets. These early alder CE-24s are really really good guitars. Bit more spank than a custom. Definitely keeping this one!

FYI, you can't leave negative feedback. Shipping is on him. I'd contact PayPal and open a dispute in the Resolution Center. Those frets are worn out, but a refret doesn't affect the value like a refin.
Good luck,
Brad

I know, it does deserve a good home. The guy replied. He is not playing ball and said he didn't know about the frets (no mention of the completely wrong description). Just says to return it but I have to pay shipping both ways ($50) and he will take off the auction fees...

I'll try one more time then I'll either let it go (he gets negative feedback) or swallow the loss and return it. What would you do?

I am in Japan so sending to PTC not an option!
You can't

FYI, you can't leave negative feedback. Shipping is on him. I'd contact PayPal and open a dispute in the Resolution Center. Those frets are worn out, but a refret doesn't affect the value like a refin.
Good luck,
Brad

You can't
Dude, read the thread :) You can give negative feedback on yahoo auctions where I got it. No paypal either.

In the end after thinking I was trying to scam him the seller offered me a full refund or to pay for a refret. I got the refret done. He genuinely thought the guitar was OK as hadn't played it for years (musty guitar case smell). Refret was perfect and I'm loving it now. Maybe more than my others.

Back