NGD: '91 CE24 Alder plus advice needed!

Nick Gardiner

Been on a roll recently! Always wanted to try and early alder CE. Found this on auction and pulled the trigger.

Now... it has arrived. All original and with all case candy and original documents and warranty, tag etc. So far so good. Looks nice, unusual fiery red mild quilt top. Happy so far.

No check out the frets...uh oh... now in the ad it specifically states loads of life left. Someone else asked how much left and he said "Not really worn at all".

Now I understand not everyone is a guitar expert but come on!

The rear strap pin also fell straight out! So dangerous!

The good part is it does sound pretty darn fantastic! I guess that is why it was played to death.

I could possibly return it (although they are very funny about that here) as I did specifically ask if it was Mahogany or Alder and they replied Mahogany (I knew it was alder) so I could use that as an absolute reason to return it. I like it though, but a refret devalues it as a guitar (although I guess not a CE not much!) Plus it will take a few weeks and around $300.

So what would you do? I do like it but I wanted it to be in better condition. As a player it is awesome. But I don't particularly want to refret it. Ask to split the cost? Ask for the full repair amount? Return it (I would still be out shipping and some fees etc) Keep as is and ask for some money back?

So how much do you think this guitar is worth in this condition?

Anyway...pics!!! Check out the fret wear! Even my '53 Les Paul didn't have wear like that!

DSCF0280_zpstrlreeiy.jpg

DSCF0282_zpsztx6j9nl.jpg

DSCF0283_zpsdlnwojoc.jpg

DSCF0285_zpshvfmmqmt.jpg

DSCF0286_zpsiqlmkhfh.jpg

Hello,

you got a keeper - for sure. At least by your telling despite the facts you´ve named. For me personally I would ask for a full refund of the refret-cost as there statement was clearly false! Repair on that strapholder as well! If they don't the decision will be much more difficult. Keep it and bring in more cash or return it... Unfortunately thats the decision you have to face IF they don't.

Yes, I just would like to know people's opinion of this guitar's value as is so I have some kind of leverage. My Guitar shop friend told me with that wear they wouldn't accept it even on trade in. So it needs a full refret for sure which is a bit annoying. It wasn't expensive but it wasn't that cheap either as a few people were bidding (expecting more I guess!)

I do like it though. Jut not sure I want to pay for the repair or not, or have a repaired guitar!

Waiting for a reply. It is pretty cool looking though.

I know, it does deserve a good home. The guy replied. He is not playing ball and said he didn't know about the frets (no mention of the completely wrong description). Just says to return it but I have to pay shipping both ways ($50) and he will take off the auction fees...

I'll try one more time then I'll either let it go (he gets negative feedback) or swallow the loss and return it. What would you do?

I am in Japan so sending to PTC not an option!

I'll tell you what I would do - KEEP IT - because that's what I did in a very similar situation a couple of years ago on a goldtop CE22. Seller (who was a newly authorized PRS dealer by the way) when asked the direct question about fret wear by me said there was virtually none. Guitar shows up and very significant wear. Not quite as bad as yours but could never have been interpretted as anything but severe. I liked everything else about the guitar though and I gave the seller the "opportunity" to make it right. He did not nor did he offer to take the guitar back. I looked at it this way....yes I would need to add $$$ to make this the guitar I thought I was getting....but the time and conflict involved with pursuing it further would be a pain in the ass and avoiding the hassle was also worth something to me....not every deal in life goes the way you want it to....I planned (and still plan) to keep the guitar a long time. So...in the end..what's the extra money required for a fret job really worth to me in 10+ years? For me, the answer was/is that I'm really not going to miss it. So I had it refretted by a local luthier. SS frets. I now have a pretty darn expensive CE but....I love it! In fact, it may be my most frequently played guitar. Adding to your decision, I also have two alder body CE24's and they rock! Those don't show up all that often and you have a beautiful one. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for your message. My girlfriend kind of swung me decision by saying "it is so cute, you should take care of it, I feel sorry for her"

It does sound really good! And I have a few amazing sounding '80s ones too. It has all paperwork and even the original import docs etc.

I am just very surprised that this happened on a Japanese auction site as most people are scrupulously honest and I couldn't imagine selling a guitar like that without disclosing it, especially after being specifically asked! A bit of wear fine, I'm more annoyed by his attitude. If I returned it I would lose $50 shipping and $100 auction fee. Shame there isn't a system like paypal here (when you need it!!) although I can claim though yahoo the hassle wouldn't be worth it.

By the way, how do you find stainless steel frets? I do like those on Suhr guitars but they do seem brighter.

omg.. that is a nice CE. Keep it and refret it. Regardless of description, always assume a guitar of that age will require a refret. Put some nice stainless frets on there and the frets (and guitar) will outlive you.

I know I know...just annoying as usually here it is the opposite way round. Sellers say may scratches but they turn out to be mint. My '86 and '89s have almost no fret wear. But I guess that much fret wear is a sign it sounds good!

I have pretty much decided to keep her anyway. Thanks for all the support. She is a beauty!

I'm going through the same thing. Found a 90 CE24 and wanted it for the alder body. The frets looked worn but usable. Got it home and found that the strings buzzed because the upper frets were so much higher than the middle ones. I'm stateside so the PTC is going to get the refret work.

If I were you I would not let that one get away.

That's a cool looking guitar and, by the sounds of it, a good playing and sounding one. I had a PRS that I bought second hand with fret wear, not QUITE as bad as yours, and my luthier asked how it played. I told him it seemed fine, he played it and said it was ok for him as well. He just did a fret re-dress and I took it home and it's still a cracking machine even now. Are the frets that bad that they interfere with playing?

I've never ever seen fretwear like that! I always wondered when people ask about or discuss fretwear what it really looks like - I guess I'm easy on my guitars, as they don't seem to have any real fretwear at all, even the ones I bought used.

I personally don't think a well-done re-fret devalues a guitar, unless you are trying to keep it "factory mint". I'd keep that guitar, get it re-fretted, and play the snot out of it so it needs another re-fret in 10 years!

I have never seen fret wear like this either, even on '50s and '60s guitars. Even like this though it does play fine! Does have some divots in the rosewood board though. It is strange that even with those huge chunks out of the frets that it plays so well so it is definitely a keeper.

The fretwear is pretty even to. The previous owner must have played the hell out of it all over the fret board. Up to 22nd fret! Never seen like this before. I guess that is why it sounds good!

Opened the back to make sure the electrics were OK and it was full of dust!! What a mess. Thorough clean up required.

Interestingly it does seem to have 2 treble bleed caps on the vol. pot. Was that normal? All my others have just one.

I'll look at local refret options but I'll play as is for a bit. I will get back to you when it is done though!

I'd keep it because that toP is amazing....I have seen frets like that but never on a Prs ....

I`d nicely tell the seller that you know you need money deducted for the refret you`re going to need. Don`t threaten negative feedback, or he could post that about you first. There`s no way in hell I`d sell that guitar. See if anyone in your area has a plek machine. That`ll greatly increase the chances of you getting a great fret job unless you have a master luthier nearby. I`ve only had 1 fret job done in SS. I`d describe the end result as more articulate. It was on an archtop.

I wouldn't let that one get away. I have a '93 CE-24, and I will never let it go. I've had mahogany body CEs, and they simply aren't the same as the alder body versions. The alder CEs are getting harder to find in decent condition, and the prices aren't going down. You didn't mention what you paid for that beauty, but if you can pay for a re-fret and still not be much over $1500 total, I would definitely keep it. Where are you going to find a better guitar for that kind of money. The ones that can be found on the cheap are typically trashed and modified. Clean originals are pretty rare. Re-fret it and rock the crap out of it. You will have no regrets.

Last edited:
I'd keep it because that toP is amazing....I have seen frets like that but never on a Prs ....
I once bought a 2001 SC that had frets like that. I couldn't pass up the sub $1k price. Had a refret done for $300 and still came out ahead.

Back