NGD: 513 Rosewood and the tale of 3 'Bursts'

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
Not everyday is new 513 Rosewood day but I am delighted to say today is.

Delighted to pick up a beautiful 2005 example in McCarty Tobacco burst. This is my third 513 Rosewood and fifth 513 overall.
Folks familiar with my musings on the forum know that the 513 Rosewood in my opinion is the best guitar ever and I am delighted to say that this third example is equally as good as the other two I have. Utterly butterly playable, unbelievably clear pickups that have percussive thump in single coil mode and go to very controllable warm fat goodness in heavy humbucker mode where harmonics fly like pigs in a pink floyd concert, and that feeling of electricity under your fingers, a built in compressor almost, which only really good PRS guitars seem to have.

I would say that it looks even better than my other rosewoods as McCarty Tobacco burst, especially with the natural binding, just looks outstanding (particularly to someone who bought his first electric guitar after watching Slash in November Rain). Also the top has a lot more movement than my other 513 Rosewoods, or most maple tops I have seen. Reminds me of the Graveyard 1 I saw in Japan.

Four years into owning my first 513 and in short order my first 513 Rosewood, have allowed me to develop my opinions on the matter a bit. 513s are great guitars but tonewood skeptic or not, there is little doubt in my mind that the Brazilian rosewood of the 513 rosewood gives the guitar the extra oomph to take it past a 100%. Even if I compare it to my Private Stock (Maple necked, ash bodied 513), the Rosewood imo is a more magical guitar (beauty being the eye or ear of the beholder and all that)

So it strikes me as quite amazing that while the myth of the ME1 grows, the 513 Rosewood continues to fly under the radar. I got my first 513 rosewood and ME1 at the same time and four years later, I still have only one ME1 (despite playing four others extensively) and 3 513 Rosewoods. My perhaps cynical theory is that the 513 suffers from being different, for not sounding 'exactly' like a Strat or Les Paul, but the plus side is that these don't cost kings ransoms and especially now that inflation has hit new guitar prices, 513s are more incredible value.

Enough prose. Here come the pics

Family shot of the 3 'Bursts'
Left: 2006 Violin Amber Sunburst set up in D, Middle McCarty Tobacco Sunburst set up in Eb, Right: Dark Cherry Wrap Sunburst set up in E

I kid ironically when I call the 3 513 Rosewoods 'Bursts' given their colour but I see a very interesting parallel between the 513 Rosewood and the original humbucker Les Pauls.

Produced for a very short period, they sounded like nothing else before them, and that hurt their popularity. Later when technology caught up (or Distortion was accidentally invented), the Les Paul's humbucker suddenly made sense.

In the case of the 513, I have not seen any other guitar that takes effects as effortlessly as the 513. While close enough for live settings and at a stretch studio work, It doesn't sound exactly like a Les Paul or a Strat. The slip side of this is that the 513s tone is a wonderful base on which to create a musical picture while retaining signal fidelity. The Strymon timeline, nightsky (add other boutique time effects pedals here) were not conceived when the 513 rosewood came out but they are a match made in heaven. In a world where the guitar plays more and more of a textural role, more traditional sounds make less sense and something like a 513 comes into its own.

Just one guys opinion. I have been on a strymon and ambient trip of late and the 513 has been beating everything else I have in the stable hands down. Then I take it to band practice and play 80s 90s rock covers and it rips.

Unbeatable!

Just one guys opinion.

Make that two…. The 513 combined with BRW is magic.

My pair of ‘07s were outside the original 513 Rosewood run that ended in 2006, but thankfully they were speced like the originals. One is a custom build that, I was told, was an Artist model test run show guitar… even PRS has incomplete records on why it was built like it was, and it has no “made for USA only” markings, as the other one does. Both are special guitars and played hundreds and hundreds of gigs before being retired to the music room (for now). Without question, a desert island guitar.

Not everyday is new 513 Rosewood day but I am delighted to say today is.

Delighted to pick up a beautiful 2005 example in McCarty Tobacco burst. This is my third 513 Rosewood and fifth 513 overall.
Folks familiar with my musings on the forum know that the 513 Rosewood in my opinion is the best guitar ever and I am delighted to say that this third example is equally as good as the other two I have. Utterly butterly playable, unbelievably clear pickups that have percussive thump in single coil mode and go to very controllable warm fat goodness in heavy humbucker mode where harmonics fly like pigs in a pink floyd concert, and that feeling of electricity under your fingers, a built in compressor almost, which only really good PRS guitars seem to have.

I would say that it looks even better than my other rosewoods as McCarty Tobacco burst, especially with the natural binding, just looks outstanding (particularly to someone who bought his first electric guitar after watching Slash in November Rain). Also the top has a lot more movement than my other 513 Rosewoods, or most maple tops I have seen. Reminds me of the Graveyard 1 I saw in Japan.

Four years into owning my first 513 and in short order my first 513 Rosewood, have allowed me to develop my opinions on the matter a bit. 513s are great guitars but tonewood skeptic or not, there is little doubt in my mind that the Brazilian rosewood of the 513 rosewood gives the guitar the extra oomph to take it past a 100%. Even if I compare it to my Private Stock (Maple necked, ash bodied 513), the Rosewood imo is a more magical guitar (beauty being the eye or ear of the beholder and all that)

So it strikes me as quite amazing that while the myth of the ME1 grows, the 513 Rosewood continues to fly under the radar. I got my first 513 rosewood and ME1 at the same time and four years later, I still have only one ME1 (despite playing four others extensively) and 3 513 Rosewoods. My perhaps cynical theory is that the 513 suffers from being different, for not sounding 'exactly' like a Strat or Les Paul, but the plus side is that these don't cost kings ransoms and especially now that inflation has hit new guitar prices, 513s are more incredible value.

Enough prose. Here come the pics

Family shot of the 3 'Bursts'
Left: 2006 Violin Amber Sunburst set up in D, Middle McCarty Tobacco Sunburst set up in Eb, Right: Dark Cherry Wrap Sunburst set up in E

I'm curious about your experience owning 3 guitars of the same model. Do each of them get the same amount of play-time? Aside from tuning differences, do they sound 100% identical to each other or are their subtle differences?

I'm curious about your experience owning 3 guitars of the same model. Do each of them get the same amount of play-time? Aside from tuning differences, do they sound 100% identical to each other or are their subtle differences?
I’m curious also.
I’ve played exactly the same model and year and noticed big differences.

I’m curious also.
I’ve played exactly the same model and year of a guitar and noticed big differences.

Make that two…. The 513 combined with BRW is magic.

My pair of ‘07s were outside the original 513 Rosewood run that ended in 2006, but thankfully they were speced like the originals. One is a custom build that, I was told, was an Artist model test run show guitar… even PRS has incomplete records on why it was built like it was, and it has no “made for USA only” markings, as the other one does. Both are special guitars and played hundreds and hundreds of gigs before being retired to the music room (for now). Without question, a desert island guitar.
Keepers. Hope they get out soon again

They are very similar honestly. The subtle difference is that the gold hardware one has the most percussive bounce in single coil mode . The nickel violin amber one has an unusual snarl in heavy humbucker bridge and hence lived in D and occasional drop C. But these are very minor

The main point for me is that I really like the formula and having that consistency in each of the tunings I regularly use is super convenient as I just swap guitars . Playtime depends on the amount of time I am playing each tuning but E and Eb guitars will usually get the most, as my hard rock cover band plays in Eb but I learn the songs in original tuning which is mostly E with some exceptions

Back