NGD - 408

MWebster

Greetings and salutations

Pretty straight up NGD. During a recent inventory clearance at my local music store I saw this used 408 that came with the case, all of it's candy and everything. It is like new in my eyes aside from a smallish ding along the lower edge on the top where my arm rests and it goes unnoticed. Otherwise no swirls, no anything it polished up like a champ, no fret wear! It's a 2016, regular core version no 10-top that's bone stock. I think it's top is pretty nice but it's growing on me each day, I wasn't crazy about the color at first. No issues with the V12 finish in this case.

As soon as I walked in it was on display at the front despite there being many used PRS on sale elsewhere. I cursed to myself and face palmed. Recently I acquired a lovely Special Semi-Hollow which was a toss up between that and a modern eagle. Since buying the Special I've kept wondering what could have been regarding the MEV. My immediate thought when I saw this 408 was.. This is a great price that will probably get me close to the MEV thing but 2 core PRS in 2 months...? Had to do it.. I plugged it into an Archon 50 combo which sounded great by the way but instantly knew it was too good to let it fall into the wrong hands. The sound is so organic, musical and ballsy. I wish my Special was more ballsy but it's got its own thing going on. Anyway CAD they wanted 3500, USD about 2600? Which I thought was a fine price but being a clear-out I did not pay that price ;)

I want your input --> I wasn't about to buy the Archon combo I tried it through but damn that amp sounded good, clean and lead. So I ordered the head version which will be arriving soon. I bought a Dr. Z Z-best 2x12 cabinet to accompany it, it is semi-ported with a V30 and a G12H30 for speakers. I have never done a head and cabinet before so from people who know the Archon and something about these speakers, does this combination make sense? Something seemed to deter me away from the PRS Archon Cabs. My other choice would've been a Mesa Rec 2x12.

ALSO!! I'd love to hear some opinions on the 408 in comparison to the MEV, with the MEV being the new iteration housing the TCI pickups, for people who have owned or own both, are they close cousins or distant relatives?

DSC-0956.jpg

DSC-0951.jpg

DSC-0952.jpg

Beautiful guitar!

I've had a couple 408s - a Signature and the later production model - and currently have a PS with the Paul's pickups, though pre-TCI.

The 408 is a great pickup, full stop. You're right, it's fat sounding, has a lot of punch, and just works. I don't think the Paul's pickups on my PS sound all that different from the ones that came on the 408, but I've only had one at a time and can't compare them head to head.

The thing the MEV has is the middle pickup, and the combinations are great; I have a middle pickup in my PS. That's the only reason I'd look at the MEV if I owned a 408. But I ws pretty darn happy with my 408s, and if I had kept one of them, I probably wouldn't have felt I needed the PS.

You guys ever get that, where you walk into a music store not expecting to buy a guitar but you see one you weren't expecting to see, you play it and realize it's got you and there's no way you can leave the store without it?

Beautiful guitar!

I've had a couple 408s - a Signature and the later production model - and currently have a PS with the Paul's pickups, though pre-TCI.

The 408 is a great pickup, full stop. You're right, it's fat sounding, has a lot of punch, and just works. I don't think the Paul's pickups on my PS sound all that different from the ones that came on the 408, but I've only had one at a time and can't compare them head to head.

The thing the MEV has is the middle pickup, and the combinations are great; I have a middle pickup in my PS. That's the only reason I'd look at the MEV if I owned a 408. But I ws pretty darn happy with my 408s, and if I had kept one of them, I probably wouldn't have felt I needed the PS.
Do you have a pic or a link to your NGD of the PS you speak of? Sounds lovely.

Your wish is my command!

ptKq9zh.jpg
Oof that's one guitar to rule them all. What's the switching layout? I'm surprised to see no toggles. Theres so much depth in that colouring too. I saw the one fellow on here who had a similar or the same finish but his blue faded out. Do you like the narrow field?

Greetings and salutations

Pretty straight up NGD. During a recent inventory clearance at my local music store I saw this used 408 that came with the case, all of it's candy and everything. It is like new in my eyes aside from a smallish ding along the lower edge on the top where my arm rests and it goes unnoticed. Otherwise no swirls, no anything it polished up like a champ, no fret wear! It's a 2016, regular core version no 10-top that's bone stock. I think it's top is pretty nice but it's growing on me each day, I wasn't crazy about the color at first. No issues with the V12 finish in this case.

As soon as I walked in it was on display at the front despite there being many used PRS on sale elsewhere. I cursed to myself and face palmed. Recently I acquired a lovely Special Semi-Hollow which was a toss up between that and a modern eagle. Since buying the Special I've kept wondering what could have been regarding the MEV. My immediate thought when I saw this 408 was.. This is a great price that will probably get me close to the MEV thing but 2 core PRS in 2 months...? Had to do it.. I plugged it into an Archon 50 combo which sounded great by the way but instantly knew it was too good to let it fall into the wrong hands. The sound is so organic, musical and ballsy. I wish my Special was more ballsy but it's got its own thing going on. Anyway CAD they wanted 3500, USD about 2600? Which I thought was a fine price but being a clear-out I did not pay that price ;)

I want your input --> I wasn't about to buy the Archon combo I tried it through but damn that amp sounded good, clean and lead. So I ordered the head version which will be arriving soon. I bought a Dr. Z Z-best 2x12 cabinet to accompany it, it is semi-ported with a V30 and a G12H30 for speakers. I have never done a head and cabinet before so from people who know the Archon and something about these speakers, does this combination make sense? Something seemed to deter me away from the PRS Archon Cabs. My other choice would've been a Mesa Rec 2x12.

ALSO!! I'd love to hear some opinions on the 408 in comparison to the MEV, with the MEV being the new iteration housing the TCI pickups, for people who have owned or own both, are they close cousins or distant relatives?

DSC-0956.jpg

DSC-0951.jpg

DSC-0952.jpg
Congrats!! Beautiful guitar!!! Enjoy!!

Back