NGD: 2020 McCarty (but not "my" scale length!)

Thanks everyone!

I love it!

Your orders usually give me GAS, this time I got to return the favor. ;) Turnabout is fair play, though.

The one I ordered is in the same color, too, though it won’t look as sweet (that’s an Artist package, am I right?). I ordered a ten top.

Yes, this time around you did contribute to the GAS for a 25" McCarty! You, Tim Pierce, Howard Leese and Bryan Ewald. Not bad company to be in! (Get it - Bad Company?) ;)

This is just a regular old 10-Top, but a pretty nice one at that. I really dig the Yellow Tiger finish! I think this is my first Yellow Tiger guitar. Looks Brown from afar, but up close the Yellow tones really pop out. As I mentioned previously I dig the darker top with the Natural Back. A terrific variation from my many McCarty Burst guitars, while still being vintage. I am completely done with flashy bright colored guitars, I have realized I really just like the vintage finishes. (And tones!)

(Sergio breathes sigh of relief - "no more blue guitars at Pete's place"!) :)

wUAd4HA.jpg

Ivory Tuner Knobs - much better! ;)

You’re still missing 25” scale SCs :)

25" SCs have never really been on my radar. In my early PRS days I had a few Tremontis and SCTs, and they didn't float my boat really. But that is apples and oranges, the Tremonti has the WT neck and High Output modern pickups, and the SCT has modern pickups as well, that was before we had the opportunity to outfit a 25" SC with 5815s LTs in search of a vintage tone.

That said, as I AB'ed my Holy Grail 2016 Prototype and my new 25" McCarty this morning, that thought occurred to me - take the SC 594, make it 25", and give it McCarty or DGT Switching with the 3-Way down by the knobs.

But I would be worried that PRS doesn't have the CNC work done for the SC 594 with a 25" scale (unique neck heel on the SC 594?) - do I recall correctly that you had an issue with that with your avatar SC and did it as an SCT spec?

But I would be worried that PRS doesn't have the CNC work done for the SC 594 with a 25" scale
Doesn't hurt to ask Pete...I've seen a PS CU24 out in the wild with a Pattern Vintage carve on it. You and I both know that being "the first" to do anything can be cost prohibitive, but by now I've got to believe that someone has done this on an SC and/or DC platform.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, this time around you did contribute to the GAS for a 25" McCarty! You, Tim Pierce, Howard Leese and Bryan Ewald. Not bad company to be in! (Get it - Bad Company?) ;)

This is just a regular old 10-Top, but a pretty nice one at that. I really dig the Yellow Tiger finish! I think this is my first Yellow Tiger guitar. Looks Brown from afar, but up close the Yellow tones really pop out. As I mentioned previously I dig the darker top with the Natural Back. A terrific variation from my many McCarty Burst guitars, while still being vintage. I am completely done with flashy bright colored guitars, I have realized I really just like the vintage finishes. (And tones!)

(Sergio breathes sigh of relief - "no more blue guitars at Pete's place"!) :)

Good company, indeed! :)

I’m with you. All my guitars are yello or amber shades, except for the one anomaly, the Northern Lights 20th Anniversary of PS PS, but in my defense, the other available color was kind of orange, and between the two, the Northern lights seemed “more me.”

If it had been a nice Black Gold Burst...ahh, a man can dream. ;)

25" SCs have never really been on my radar. In my early PRS days I had a few Tremontis and SCTs, and they didn't float my boat really. But that is apples and oranges, the Tremonti has the WT neck and High Output modern pickups, and the SCT has modern pickups as well, that was before we had the opportunity to outfit a 25" SC with 5815s LTs in search of a vintage tone.

That said, as I AB'ed my Holy Grail 2016 Prototype and my new 25" McCarty this morning, that thought occurred to me - take the SC 594, make it 25", and give it McCarty or DGT Switching with the 3-Way down by the knobs.

But I would be worried that PRS doesn't have the CNC work done for the SC 594 with a 25" scale (unique neck heel on the SC 594?) - do I recall correctly that you had an issue with that with your avatar SC and did it as an SCT spec?

I wanted to add the piezo and a trem, but routing wasn’t done. So I gave up 0.094” scale length and very slight body thickness by going with a P245 Trem with a pattern vintage neck carve.

I was referencing a ME I SCT (59/09s which a little hotter work better with the all Braz neck). :)

38_C3_A97_D-8_F60-4_CE4-83_DD-6_CD00665743_B.jpg

My original NH Orca 59 NAMM model has a really thick, but crazy light weight, Spanish Cedar body and 25” scale length. Weighs like 7.6lbs!
F8550326-A3-A5-49-F5-9570-29577-EE2970-D.jpg

B5-AEE14-A-629-A-4723-A22-A-FD2380-A9029-B.jpg

Course I did a mashup with my custom NH build - 24.75” scale length with a trem and full Braz neck.
56588-D4-A-FA18-4503-809-D-FFB1-D37-D3008.jpg

So I’ve got 24.5”, 24.75” and 25” scale lengths covered for the thicker body SCT recipe. I’m missing the SC594 trem though! :D

If I were local to you, it would be quite an episode of SC madness, er, glory! :D

So you guys probably saw this coming from the comments with Les and Bryan Ewald on the 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread - NGD today, a 2020 25" McCarty in Yellow Tiger with a killer 10-Top!

Has a late January build date, is Nitro with TCI pickups, but Phase III Tuners. I was looking for one with the new tuners, but this top and finish were so nice that I decided to grab it. :)

rAFIziA.jpg

QHzaFON.jpg

8AvmleB.jpg

au8JsG8.jpg

2GwBJYF.jpg

So this is my 4th 2020 PRS with the Nitro and the TCI 5815 LTs - all four have been AMAZING in tone and feel! This one is every bit as great as the other three.

I commented on the other thread that the 2020 25" McCarty sounded amazing in the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese video, and in Bryan Ewald's demo. I wasn't imagining that, it really does sound terrific! In the same wheelhouse as the SC and DC 594s, but it has its own thing going on, and I dig it! That just goes to show you how amazing these 2020 TCI 5815 LT Pickups are.

I dig the Yellow Tiger finish, I like the contrast with the darker top and lighter Natural back. (I don't always love a dark top with a dark back, so I appreciate this combination!) The Hybrid Hardware also matches great with this finish, as it does with my 2 Charcoal guitars.

It desparately needs some Ivory tuner knobs - don't worry, those go on tomorrow! ;)

More comments to follow shortly...

Congrats! Beautiful top! I’ve been waiting for the 2020 594 models with the new finish myself, but wanted to get veteran forum member feedback on how it feels on the neck versus V12, Private Stock Nitro, Satin, etc regarding sticky or tackiness when playing/sweating, etc. Any feedback you have is much appreciated. Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to ask Pete...I've seen a PS CU24 out in the wild with a Pattern Vintage carve on it. You and I both know that being "the first" to do anything can be cost prohibitive, but by now I've got to believe that someone has done this on an SC and/or DC platform.

Yes, I will look into the options. I am undecided at this moment, considering a DC 594 with a Stoptail and DGT Electronics layout, a 25" McCarty with DGT Electronics layout, or an SC 594 with a 25" scale and the DGT Electronics layout.

I actually prefer the toggle on the upper horn, but I am intrigued by Bryan Ewald's comments that having the toggle down on the body changes the tone of the guitar with the shorter wiring. 594s sound great, as does this 25" McCarty, just looking to mix it up since I have so many amazing guitars already, and a PS build is the place to do that.

DUDE! The back on that thing has as much texture as the carpet it is laying on!

Yes, I dig that! I like the finishes with the Natural Back (or Antique Natural in the Private Stocks), they really show off the grain in the Mahogany in the back and neck.

Here is the back of my SC 594 SH PS:

cfQGyYI.jpg

Now THAT is some amazing Mahogany!! :)

I wanted to add the piezo and a trem, but routing wasn’t done. So I gave up 0.094” scale length and very slight body thickness by going with a P245 Trem with a pattern vintage neck carve.

I was referencing a ME I SCT (59/09s which a little hotter work better with the all Braz neck). :)

My original NH Orca 59 NAMM model has a really thick, but crazy light weight, Spanish Cedar body and 25” scale length. Weighs like 7.6lbs!

Course I did a mashup with my custom NH build - 24.75” scale length with a trem and full Braz neck.

So I’ve got 24.5”, 24.75” and 25” scale lengths covered for the thicker body SCT recipe. I’m missing the SC594 trem though! :D

If I were local to you, it would be quite an episode of SC madness, er, glory! :D

Ah, thanks for the explanation! INCREDIBLE collection of Singlecuts!!

Congrats! Beautiful top! I’ve been waiting for the 2020 594 models with the new finish myself, but wanted to get veteran forum member feedback on how it feels on the neck versus V12, Private Stock Nitro, Satin, etc regarding sticky or tackiness when playing/sweating, etc. Any feedback you have is much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks!

I think the 2020's feel a lot like the Private Stocks with regards to finish. I have never thought the Private Stock Nitro feels too sticky, I have always loved the feel of the Nitro on the Private Stocks, the DGTs, the Teds, and now the 2020 Core 594s.

I didn't care for the feel of the older Poly finishes, nor the V12.

My 2016 Prototype has a "Semi-Gloss" Nitro that looks and feels like a vintage instrument, I love that, it is a little different.

My SC 594 SH PS was ordered to be Semi-Gloss like the 2016 Prototype, but it is more so Satin/Matte, that feels pretty nice on the neck too. I would consider in the future doing a Private Stock with the Gloss finish with a Satin neck.

I remember Yankeebulldog had a WL or Core SC 594 that he sent to the PTC to refinish the neck to a Satin finish, I think he dug that.

I definitely think the Nitro PRSi sound better and feel better with regards to resonance. (And take that from someone who has owned over 100 PRSi in the last two decades, about half of them Nitro, and more than 30 594s since 2016. :))

The combination of the Nitro AND the TCI pickups in the 2020s make them the best PRS Guitars yet IMO, for tone and feel!

My 2 cents...

Yes, I will look into the options. I am undecided at this moment, considering a DC 594 with a Stoptail and DGT Electronics layout, a 25" McCarty with DGT Electronics layout, or an SC 594 with a 25" scale and the DGT Electronics layout.

I actually prefer the toggle on the upper horn, but I am intrigued by Bryan Ewald's comments that having the toggle down on the body changes the tone of the guitar with the shorter wiring. 594s sound great, as does this 25" McCarty, just looking to mix it up since I have so many amazing guitars already, and a PS build is the place to do that.

Yes, I dig that! I like the finishes with the Natural Back (or Antique Natural in the Private Stocks), they really show off the grain in the Mahogany in the back and neck.

Here is the back of my SC 594 SH PS:

cfQGyYI.jpg

Now THAT is some amazing Mahogany!! :)

Ah, thanks for the explanation! INCREDIBLE collection of Singlecuts!!

Thanks!

I think the 2020's feel a lot like the Private Stocks with regards to finish. I have never thought the Private Stock Nitro feels too sticky, I have always loved the feel of the Nitro on the Private Stocks, the DGTs, the Teds, and now the 2020 Core 594s.

I didn't care for the feel of the older Poly finishes, nor the V12.

My 2016 Prototype has a "Semi-Gloss" Nitro that looks and feels like a vintage instrument, I love that, it is a little different.

My SC 594 SH PS was ordered to be Semi-Gloss like the 2016 Prototype, but it is more so Satin/Matte, that feels pretty nice on the neck too. I would consider in the future doing a Private Stock with the Gloss finish with a Satin neck.

I remember Yankeebulldog had a WL or Core SC 594 that he sent to the PTC to refinish the neck to a Satin finish, I think he dug that.

I definitely think the Nitro PRSi sound better and feel better with regards to resonance. (And take that from someone who has owned over 100 PRSi in the last two decades, about half of them Nitro, and more than 30 594s since 2016. :))

The combination of the Nitro AND the TCI pickups in the 2020s make them the best PRS Guitars yet IMO, for tone and feel!

My 2 cents...

Thank you for your response, that’s everything I was wondering and hoping to hear! Your 2 cents were just applied towards the purchase of a 2020 594 and 2020 35th CU24.

I lost my ME1 in a fire a few years ago and I’m looking to but one again. Would you recommend me buying that first, due to the limited nature, Brazilian rosewood, etc., or do you feel the new 594, as an entire package, feels better? I know “better” is very subjective but after you have played so many PRS guitars, I’m sure your recommendation is best and thus I’ll follow it.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for your response, that’s everything I was wondering and hoping to hear! Your 2 cents were just applied towards the purchase of a 2020 594 and 2020 35th CU24.

I lost my ME1 in a fire a few years ago and I’m looking to but one again. Would you recommend me buying that first, due to the limited nature, Brazilian rosewood, etc., or do you feel the new 594, as an entire package, feels better? I know “better” is very subjective but after you have played so many PRS guitars, I’m sure your recommendation is best and thus I’ll follow it.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to hear about the fire and the lost ME1!

I was skeptical on the TCI pickups, so I tried at a dealer first, went to Chicago Music Exchange, and I was very impressed with the 2020 SC 594 Prototype, bought it on the spot. I have purchased three 2020s since then, the Charcoal SC 594, Charcoal DC 594 and Yellow Tiger 25" McCarty. The consistency of awesome has been unprecedented in my history of buying PRS Guitars, all 4 are quite honestly the best sounding, playing and feeling Core PRS Guitars I have ever owned. Something magical is going on at PRS right now. (Oh wait - five. I have a 2020 DGT that I played for a few minutes, and took to my tech for a string change and a setup. It sounded great, but I found the stock 11s to be almost unplayable for my fingers. I haven't posted that yet...)

I joked on another thread that I used to buy and sell Core guitars while waiting for Private Stocks. That was "half-joking", there is definitely truth to that. I don't feel that way now. Now I feel that the Private Stocks have their place with the special woods, inlays and configurations, but these Core guitars are 90% as good. Which is saying A LOT.

That said, I definitely recommend taking advantage of the 48 hour return/acceptance period most dealers offer. If you are not 100% sure you love the guitar and will cherish it dearly, return it. These guitars are a big investment, and you need to be sure. I don't post any guitars here until I have played them and I am sure I am keeping them. Some arrive and I just am not feeling it, and I return them, you never see them here. (But none so far for the 2020s, 5 of 5 to-date!)

The ME1s were pretty special in their own right, I am sure one of those would be great as well. I am sure that later this year you would be able to find a similar configuration to an ME1 in a SC or DC 594 in a Dealer Wood Library run, Rosewood Neck and Board, Nitro, AND have the advantage of these great TCI 5815 LT pickups. But either way I don't think you could go wrong.

I have also heard from some friends that putting the TCI 5815 LTs in a great older PRS can breathe some real life into an older PRS. You can't buy these separately at this time, but I am sure some will pop up on eBay or Reverb for $600 plus - they always do. But you will have to beat me to them! :)

Sorry to hear about the fire and the lost ME1!

I was skeptical on the TCI pickups, so I tried at a dealer first, went to Chicago Music Exchange, and I was very impressed with the 2020 SC 594 Prototype, bought it on the spot. I have purchased three 2020s since then, the Charcoal SC 594, Charcoal DC 594 and Yellow Tiger 25" McCarty. The consistency of awesome has been unprecedented in my history of buying PRS Guitars, all 4 are quite honestly the best sounding, playing and feeling Core PRS Guitars I have ever owned. Something magical is going on at PRS right now. (Oh wait - five. I have a 2020 DGT that I played for a few minutes, and took to my tech for a string change and a setup. It sounded great, but I found the stock 11s to be almost unplayable for my fingers. I haven't posted that yet...)

I joked on another thread that I used to buy and sell Core guitars while waiting for Private Stocks. That was "half-joking", there is definitely truth to that. I don't feel that way now. Now I feel that the Private Stocks have their place with the special woods, inlays and configurations, but these Core guitars are 90% as good. Which is saying A LOT.

That said, I definitely recommend taking advantage of the 48 hour return/acceptance period most dealers offer. If you are not 100% sure you love the guitar and will cherish it dearly, return it. These guitars are a big investment, and you need to be sure. I don't post any guitars here until I have played them and I am sure I am keeping them. Some arrive and I just am not feeling it, and I return them, you never see them here. (But none so far for the 2020s, 5 of 5 to-date!)

The ME1s were pretty special in their own right, I am sure one of those would be great as well. I am sure that later this year you would be able to find a similar configuration to an ME1 in a SC or DC 594 in a Dealer Wood Library run, Rosewood Neck and Board, Nitro, AND have the advantage of these great TCI 5815 LT pickups. But either way I don't think you could go wrong.

I have also heard from some friends that putting the TCI 5815 LTs in a great older PRS can breathe some real life into an older PRS. You can't buy these separately at this time, but I am sure some will pop up on eBay or Reverb for $600 plus - they always do. But you will have to beat me to them! :)

...and just like that things changed for the better! Truly, I can’t thank you enough for that post. That’s everything I want to hear, especially considering how PRS is always innovating, improving, etc.

What you said regarding a wood library run is spot on - thanks for that! The only thing I would miss is the Stoptail bridge, but at that point private stock is well worth the wait, especially for Brazilian rosewood.

Your 90% comment sealed the deal on getting 2020 core models, at a great price, without the wait! Coming from you, that’s a testament to how great they are, especially for the price!

I guess the last debate now is the Brazilian Rosewood neck and stoptail on the ME1 versus Indian Rosewood wood library’s without stoptail. I would absolutely buy the TCI pickups for the new ME1 as those seem like complete game changers.

In closing, it seems like for 5-6k, a Brazilian neck, satin finish, installing TCI pickups and having it now a ME1 would still be worth it and a lifetime piece, even for a collector like yourself, correct?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

it seems like for 5-6k, a Brazilian neck, satin finish, installing TCI pickups and having it now a ME1 would still be worth it and a lifetime piece, even for a collector like yourself, correct?

That sounds like a killer plan!! :)

Wow, excellent pick Pete! Well done. Hope you will enjoy it

Back