NGD: 2020 McCarty (but not "my" scale length!)

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
So you guys probably saw this coming from the comments with Les and Bryan Ewald on the 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread - NGD today, a 2020 25" McCarty in Yellow Tiger with a killer 10-Top!

Has a late January build date, is Nitro with TCI pickups, but Phase III Tuners. I was looking for one with the new tuners, but this top and finish were so nice that I decided to grab it. :)

rAFIziA.jpg

QHzaFON.jpg

8AvmleB.jpg

au8JsG8.jpg

2GwBJYF.jpg

So this is my 4th 2020 PRS with the Nitro and the TCI 5815 LTs - all four have been AMAZING in tone and feel! This one is every bit as great as the other three.

I commented on the other thread that the 2020 25" McCarty sounded amazing in the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese video, and in Bryan Ewald's demo. I wasn't imagining that, it really does sound terrific! In the same wheelhouse as the SC and DC 594s, but it has its own thing going on, and I dig it! That just goes to show you how amazing these 2020 TCI 5815 LT Pickups are.

I dig the Yellow Tiger finish, I like the contrast with the darker top and lighter Natural back. (I don't always love a dark top with a dark back, so I appreciate this combination!) The Hybrid Hardware also matches great with this finish, as it does with my 2 Charcoal guitars.

It desparately needs some Ivory tuner knobs - don't worry, those go on tomorrow! ;)

More comments to follow shortly...

So you guys probably saw this coming from the comments with Les and Bryan Ewald on the 2020 McCarty 594 Love Thread - NGD today, a 2020 25" McCarty in Yellow Tiger with a killer 10-Top!

Has a late January build date, is Nitro with TCI pickups, but Phase III Tuners. I was looking for one with the new tuners, but this top and finish were so nice that I decided to grab it. :)

rAFIziA.jpg

QHzaFON.jpg

8AvmleB.jpg

au8JsG8.jpg

2GwBJYF.jpg

So this is my 4th 2020 PRS with the Nitro and the TCI 5815 LTs - all four have been AMAZING in tone and feel! This one is every bit as great as the other three.

I commented on the other thread that the 2020 25" McCarty sounded amazing in the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese video, and in Bryan Ewald's demo. I wasn't imagining that, it really does sound terrific! In the same wheelhouse as the SC and DC 594s, but it has its own thing going on, and I dig it! That just goes to show you how amazing these 2020 TCI 5815 LT Pickups are.

I dig the Yellow Tiger finish, I like the contrast with the darker top and lighter Natural back. (I don't always love a dark top with a dark back, so I appreciate this combination!) The Hybrid Hardware also matches great with this finish, as it does with my 2 Charcoal guitars.

It desparately needs some Ivory tuner knobs - don't worry, those go on tomorrow! ;)

More comments to follow shortly...
And the TIGER pounces again
Amazing score Pete. congrats

Thanks, everyone!

I got some more playing time on it last night and this morning. Wow, it sounds amazing. These 2020 TCI 5815 LTs are really great. I know I have said that a few dozen times, but I can't stop saying it.

First impressions on this one compared to the SC and DC 594s - this one is a little brighter than the 594s - maybe the scale length? The Bridge? This particular guitar? Not bright in a bad way, bright like one of the best "Classic Singlecut" you have ever heard.

My top amp these days is the HDXA 30W Head (killer amp!!) - usually I do the 594s on the HX settings. This sounds good there, but this one really likes the DA settings, it is thick and warm there.

I am not minding the longer scale length. I used to be pretty picky on scale length, but maybe a year or so mostly playing 25.5" scale guitars has broken me of that. ;)

The neck pickup is to die for. Clearer than most of the 594s in the neck. Less boomy.

The neck carve (Pattern/WF) is nice - but I definitely do feel the asymmetry of the Pattern Vintage missing. I prefer the Pattern Vintage, but this isn't bad. Just noticeably different.

So far I have reached for the pickup selector switch on the upper horn about 50 times. It's not there. It's hidden so far down the guitar that I need a map to find it. :)

Since 2016 all of my PRS Guitars have been 594s, so this is certainly interesting and different - in a good way, refreshing and fun! I see 25" Doublecuts staying in the collection for the foreseeable future.

I love it!

Your orders usually give me GAS, this time I got to return the favor. ;) Turnabout is fair play, though.

The one I ordered is in the same color, too, though it won’t look as sweet (that’s an Artist package, am I right?). I ordered a ten top.

Back