NGD - 2012 Singlecut Hollowbody II

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So I wasn't planning on this acquisition, but the agreed price was right where I needed it to be. Seller had it listed as a 2008 "SC58" Hollowbody, so I'm guessing he/she is not that familiar with the PRS line-up, although it does have a "SC58" TRC for some reason. It definitely has a 25" scale length, vs the 24.5" scale of the SC58.

It is very resonant (duh), and the 57/08 pups are nice and punchy, with a bit more oomph that the Archtop pups in my Spruce HB. It feeds back easier than my semi-hollows, about the same as the Spruce HB.

And the piezo does everything a piezo should! The way it is set up, the mag pups are louder than the piezo, and that's OK by me.

4OK4efO.jpg

I assume the finish color is officially "Charcoal Burst", even if it is a bit browner than most - I thought maybe it was "Obsidian Smoke Burst" because there are a few out there that look very similar (and lots that look very different, with more green or yellow). But 2012 did not offer Obsidian as a finish color.

This photo really highlights the brown tint to it:

1uHgpym.jpg

Back looks nice and purdy:

HUed8HW.jpg

Oblig wide-open aperture (f/5 on this particular lens/focal length) blurred shot:

wNxCrzT.jpg

Oh, and the guitar needs a wipe down, but I wanted to get shots in the sun while I could. Sorry.

Oooh that’s a nice one! Always wanted to try a SC HB cause I am a SC guy at heart.

So digging around based on a name tag attached to the (non-PRS) case, the listing itself, and some graphics on the case, I have reason to believe I know who the previous owner is. I won't mention specifics, because it is just my own personal research, but s/he is a recording & gigging musician who seems to have run into some legal wrangles. I assume the guitar was unloaded due to lack of use and perhaps to generate needed funds.

And curiously, it looks like the seller sent the wrong case, because they have another guitar listed with the case I now have prominently shown. So I guess the other guitar is going to ship with a PRS SC Hollowbody case. Oops.

And curiously, it looks like the seller sent the wrong case, because they have another guitar listed with the case I now have prominently shown. So I guess the other guitar is going to ship with a PRS SC Hollowbody case. Oops.

The only way to make this right is to buy the other guitar as well, you won't be able to sleep until your new hb is back in it's correct case!!

:p

Very nice!!! Welcome to the HB club!!!
Oh, I've been a member since 2014 when I got my Spruce HB!

The only way to make this right is to buy the other guitar as well, you won't be able to sleep until your new hb is back in it's correct case!!

:p
That did occur to me, but that other guitar does not appeal to me at all. I'll pick up a proper SC HB case eventually - I have seen used ones pop up on Reverb and dealer sites, and the odd new one being cleared out.

Took the guitar to a post-Thanksgiving "band get-together not really a practice just jamming" last night. It rawked! My bandmate played one of her songs on it, configured for acoustic tones, so I got to hear it while not actually playing it - sounds mighty fine to me!

The light weight is going to be an awesome plus - I could see this becoming my main gigging electric guitar, which is currently mostly shared by my P24 and P245SH, with occasional appearances by the Spruce HB and other PRS guitars (e.g. the Starla made an appearance recently).

Back