New WL arrived - seam?

Ty89m

My new CU24 WL arrived today, arrived in one piece and is looking good! One thing I noticed while inspecting is the seam where the two maple halves join up is that I can actually see in the light where they aren't flush with one another...if you run your finger along it, you can actually feel the raised portions through the finish. I've never noticed that on my two previous CU24's, but perhaps it's not all that uncommon? Further down the body (towards the bottom strap button) it smooths out and you can't feel the seam, so it's only in a couple of spots up by the bridge.

Anyway, see attached photos and you should be able to see what I'm talking about. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed this on their guitars, and if it's even worth giving a second thought?

Regardless, all in all, it's a real beauty! I just need to find some free time to see how she sounds!!

I see what you've pointed out. Structurally it shouldn't be an issue as there would be a lot of glue able surface area on the mated edges.

I am a woodworker and very familiar with joinery. When those mated halves were run through the jointer, a machine that flattens the edge for a flush fit, one edge or possibly both needed another pass or two to completely close that gap.

Wood is full of grain anonomalies and many are hard to work with. Maple and Mahogany are very straight grained and so much easier to machine and join for furniture, guitars, cabinet makers, etc.

I see what you've pointed out. Structurally it shouldn't be an issue as there would be a lot of glue able surface area on the mated edges.

I am a woodworker and very familiar with joinery. When those mated halves were run through the jointer, a machine that flattens the edge for a flush fit, one edge or possibly both needed another pass or two to completely close that gap.

Wood is full of grain anonomalies and many are hard to work with. Maple and Mahogany are very straight grained and so much easier to machine and join for furniture, guitars, cabinet makers, etc.

Appreciate the input - I'm not terribly concerned, just figured I'd see what others thought. I'm guessing the finish being so thin exacerbates the issue as well.

Funnily enough I’ve seen finish ‘defects’ on much cheaper PRS guitars that would bother me much more than this one.

Congrats on the new guitar. Looks great.

Thanks for all the feedback - it hasn't detracted from my enthusiasm at all, and I'm still absolutely thrilled with it.

Never had a seam on a PRS where I could feel it... If it doesn't bother you, cool. If it does, all I could figure to do is call support.

Never had a seam on a PRS where I could feel it... If it doesn't bother you, cool. If it does, all I could figure to do is call support.

It's pretty subtle - but I did shoot tech a photo/message so we'll see what they say. Guitar also arrived with some scratches on the back, both in the finish and on the back plate, and the setup is all out of whack which is odd as most of my previous customs were pretty dialed in. I buffed out the scratches, and seller is going to replace back plate, but I am a bit disappointed these issues weren't disclosed prior to purchase... perhaps that's why I got a decent deal on it ;)

That doesn't concern me at all. It isn't uncommon to see that seam in the finish. It isn't always so obvious, but for them to avoid it on every guitar, they'd have to use a much thicker finish in order to level it out.

That doesn't concern me at all. It isn't uncommon to see that seam in the finish. It isn't always so obvious, but for them to avoid it on every guitar, they'd have to use a much thicker finish in order to level it out.

Yeah, if I'm being fair, I never looked that closely on my other guitars - I just happened to catch it in the light while doing my initial inspection after unboxing. Sure is a pretty finish though!

I do notice this particular example has a bit more of that orange peel effect, but again, I'd likely attribute that to the thin finish and the fact that it's settling/sinking a bit. And to be fair (again) my other Customs probably exhibited the same orange peel in the finish and I just never looked that closely. Anyone else notice a bit of orange peel in their finishes?

Seller has offered me a $300 refund to cover a setup and light buffing (due to setup being so wonky/few scratches on back etc), or said they'd be happy to offer a full refund and return shipping if I opted to go that route. I doubt I could get into another WL with similar specs (and the beautiful roasted maple neck!), let alone for the price I'll have ultimately paid after getting the refund, so keeping it certainly seems like the smart choice. I'm hoping to check/set relief and fix the action this evening, so assuming there's no glaring issues I think I'll put this to bed and carry on enjoying this beast!

Yeah, if I'm being fair, I never looked that closely on my other guitars - I just happened to catch it in the light while doing my initial inspection after unboxing. Sure is a pretty finish though!

I do notice this particular example has a bit more of that orange peel effect, but again, I'd likely attribute that to the thin finish and the fact that it's settling/sinking a bit. And to be fair (again) my other Customs probably exhibited the same orange peel in the finish and I just never looked that closely. Anyone else notice a bit of orange peel in their finishes?

Seller has offered me a $300 refund to cover a setup and light buffing (due to setup being so wonky/few scratches on back etc), or said they'd be happy to offer a full refund and return shipping if I opted to go that route. I doubt I could get into another WL with similar specs (and the beautiful roasted maple neck!), let alone for the price I'll have ultimately paid after getting the refund, so keeping it certainly seems like the smart choice. I'm hoping to check/set relief and fix the action this evening, so assuming there's no glaring issues I think I'll put this to bed and carry on enjoying this beast!

My 2016 McCarty 594 isn't much different, and that's pre-CAB finish, so I think it's just due to the finish thinness. The slight orange peel bugged me at first, but you really have to get right up on it and stare to notice it.

Sounds like you bought from a good seller and got a sweet deal in the end. I freakin' love roasted maple. Enjoy!

In the early '00s I had an artist package Singlecut with a seam like that. It didn't bother me, but I did notice it.

Back