New vehicle

Which should I buy?

• 2015 Honda Pilot

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 2015 GMC Acadia

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
How about a nice Jaguar F‑PACE? 50+ MPG and reasonably priced.

We have a Honda CR-V and it owes us nothing. We bought it with 17K miles on it and it now has 172K.
We use Mobil ONE 15K oil but change it out every 8K miles.
To be honest, as much as I like Honda, I would also look into either a KIA Sorento or Hyundai Tuscan. Better gas mileage then the Pilot, and almost as much room. A bit larger then the CR-V. ymmv... no pun inteneded here. :)

I miss my minivan, that thing was Bangin'! I never got pulled over in it, in fact I was invisible to the police in that thing. I even had one of those license plate holders that said "Proud To Be A Soccer Mom".

The only reason I got rid of it was because I inherited my fathers old Grand Marquis' (x2). Now instead of being invisible to cops, everybody thinks I am one. :cool:

Having once owned a GM product, I frankly don't understand how anyone would ever consider actually forking over any amount of money for a GM product. If I ever have a worse vehicular experience, I will be thoroughly amazed. As far as I'm concerned you're comparing PRSi to those awful looking Chinese PRS knockoffs that show up on ebay from time to time and wondering which one to get. The answer is pretty obvious: Honda.

For an interesting GM vs Honda story, read this:

http://jalopnik.com/when-honda-gave-gm-one-of-historys-most-amazing-smackdo-1576732771

I don't mean to be a downer here, but....

My wife drives a Pilot. I really don't like it. The cab is loud and it drives too stiff or rough for my liking. Also, it seems to need fixing more often than it should. I've also owned two used Honda accords. Based on that experience, I will not get any more Honda's. I think the hype is more than the reality. I prefer Toyota. Every one I've had was more reliable.

Well, there are always going to good and bad experiences with all vehicles. I bought an '02 Impala because the 3.8 liter V6 would run for forever. I took good care of the car and had it the bulk of it's life, and wouldn't ya know, I get one that had about a billion problems and to top it off- was going to need the engine rebuilt at a 120,000 miles.

My Equinox, I've not had to do anything to besides oil changes and a set of tires. No issues. It's beginning to run like a high mileage 4 cylinder though, which is why I've not liked 4 bangers. Today I drove a 2011 Pilot with 175,000 miles on it. Thing ran like a top. If hadn't seen the odometer, I'd have guessed maybe 60-70k. I was impressed. In all likelihood, I'll get a Pilot. I find them fun to drive, yet smooth enough on the highway to be comfortable. Overall, they seem very reliable and people seem really happy with them. Resale value on them is awesome. If I can drive one til it hits 200,000 miles, all the better. Feeling pretty sold. Now to decide color.

Having once owned a GM product, I frankly don't understand how anyone would ever consider actually forking over any amount of money for a GM product. If I ever have a worse vehicular experience, I will be thoroughly amazed. As far as I'm concerned you're comparing PRSi to those awful looking Chinese PRS knockoffs that show up on ebay from time to time and wondering which one to get. The answer is pretty obvious: Honda.

For an interesting GM vs Honda story, read this:

http://jalopnik.com/when-honda-gave-gm-one-of-historys-most-amazing-smackdo-1576732771

I don't mean to be a downer here, but....

My wife drives a Pilot. I really don't like it. The cab is loud and it drives too stiff or rough for my liking. Also, it seems to need fixing more often than it should. I've also owned two used Honda accords. Based on that experience, I will not get any more Honda's. I think the hype is more than the reality. I prefer Toyota. Every one I've had was more reliable.

Well, there are always going to good and bad experiences with all vehicles. I bought an '02 Impala because the 3.8 liter V6 would run for forever. I took good care of the car and had it the bulk of it's life, and wouldn't ya know, I get one that had about a billion problems and to top it off- was going to need the engine rebuilt at a 120,000 miles.

My Equinox, I've not had to do anything to besides oil changes and a set of tires. No issues. It's beginning to run like a high mileage 4 cylinder though, which is why I've not liked 4 bangers. Today I drove a 2011 Pilot with 175,000 miles on it. Thing ran like a top. If hadn't seen the odometer, I'd have guessed maybe 60-70k. I was impressed. In all likelihood, I'll get a Pilot. I find them fun to drive, yet smooth enough on the highway to be comfortable. Overall, they seem very reliable and people seem really happy with them. Resale value on them is awesome. If I can drive one til it hits 200,000 miles, all the better. Feeling pretty sold. Now to decide color.
Color? Dude, c'mon....you play guitar in a "heavy" band, make mean rock-n-roll faces, sport some ink, and the chrome top...it's gotta be black!

I know it's not like what you're looking at, but we traded in our SUV for a Toyota Prius last year and we get 2-3 times the gas mileage with little sacrifice. If you often haul around very large things maybe it wouldn't work for you, but there's more room than people expect, and it's nicer than people expect in general. I've had a lot of people comment on both.

If you push the engine hard (a lot of uphill usually) over long distances with the A/C blasting you might get as low as like 45 mpg, if you are on flat ground and don't have to run the A/C hard you can get 50 without trying. If I try to get good gas mileage I can often get 55-60, although that's more difficult at highway speeds.

Anyway, if you put in a lot of miles (especially if gas prices go back up) you can save a lot of gas and money if you can give up a little space.

There's also a larger version of it that has more space and a little lower gas mileage, and a smaller version with a bit better gas mileage, but I haven't tried either.

Assuming ~$2 gas prices, you could fill up the 10 gallon tank probably 2-3 times a month costing like $45-60 as opposed to the mileage range you're looking at which would be over $100 at best (at 45 miles a day). $160 at 17mpg, and if prices go back up the difference becomes larger and larger. At $4/gal you'd save $200+ a month just on gas compared to the 17mpg options.

Like I said it has pretty good leg room, cargo space, etc. and there are some other nice options you can add to it. I'm pretty happy with the upgraded audio system in ours, and the sun roof option is surprisingly nice too.

I wasn't sure we'd use it as much as we do, but fortunately someone put it in when they bought it new so we got to try it for less.

Unless you have to have an SUV, I think it's at least worth a test drive. :)

Good luck!

And too bad you can't get fender skirts anymore! ;)

pencil_skirt,x1055,front-bg,f8f8f8.2.jpg

Oh man, I'm presently on the "yes I will, no I won't" new car merry go round. I haven't bought a new vehicle in 13 yrs and have an almost perfect 04 Hyundai Santa Fe. Butt ugly to be sure, but pristine by Hawaii standards, always covered, always maintained and now supremely boring. I make up my mind to get a new vehicle, and then I get sticker shock and realize that all that maintenance has made for a vehicle that still does what I want it to do, even being the hideous girl at the dance. My interests are the Tucson, The fancy dancy Kia Optima white sports sedan, and the new reasonably priced Jaguar sedan. But payments to me, is like Maynard Krebbs saying "Work"???!!!...

Back