New tuning buttons

You’ve got to have fun with these things. Paul is always going to be Paul, and that’s a huge thing when the headstock has your name on it. He uses what he wants, just like I would if there was a huge RJP brand of guitars floating around. We all have opinions, but that’s all they are.

letit+go.png

Then you could say:

“I’m Rick James b!tch”

Unless of course it’s John, Jeremiah, Joseph, Jasper……

I know Paul is quite the innovator and has more knowledge on building than I will ever have. But,,,, When I look at my 1988 CU 24 10 top it's perfection, hand carved top, those awesome winged tuners,, etc.... the new buttons, I guess, aren't a hit with me.

The trem models have Phase IIIs with screws. So it's only on the tuning machines that come with stop tails.

FWIW, all of PRS' Core model vintage-style tuning machines have had molded-on buttons, going back to the first McCartys in 1993-4. They started out in that Gibson green, but recently they've been cream colored. So if that's the issue, it's not something new for you.
I am aware of the vintage style tuners having molded on buttons. I am not a fan of those either. I have them on two of my PRS guitars and if I played those guitars more, I would change the tuners out. I have thought about doing it a few times but they are guitars that are not in my regular playing rotation so I have been able to keep myself from changing them. I just think that these molded on button tuners are something that is cheap looking and remind me of tuners on cheap guitars from when I was younger. It is just my personal preference. I am someone that would pay a little more money to not have plastic molded on tuner buttons.

I am aware of the vintage style tuners having molded on buttons. I am not a fan of those either. I have them on two of my PRS guitars and if I played those guitars more, I would change the tuners out. I have thought about doing it a few times but they are guitars that are not in my regular playing rotation so I have been able to keep myself from changing them. I just think that these molded on button tuners are something that is cheap looking and remind me of tuners on cheap guitars from when I was younger. It is just my personal preference. I am someone that would pay a little more money to not have plastic molded on tuner buttons.
Oh, I'm not trying to talk you into liking them.

Vintage style tuning machines are a PITA. I prefer the Phase IIIs. For me it's strictly a function thing.

My 1965 SG Special still has the original Kluson tuning machines with the cream plastic molded-on buttons. It's been in my family since new; I got it in '67, so I know the history (I lived it!). The buttons are still on there tight, and the tuning machines still work after all these years. They weren't junk back then, and the molded on buttons on the PRS ones shouldn't be problematic.

The SG was a quality guitar in its day. Even more expensive guitars like Les Pauls came with them. It's not so much a cheap guitar thing as a vintage thing.

The other part of this is that ever since he worked on ideas with Ted McCarty, Paul became convinced that lighter machines imparted a certain tone to the guitars, and talked about it in videos. The Kluson style machines are lighter, and of course, a molded button has less hardware and therefore less weight. That's OK, I still like the Phase IIIs.

In my early years, good guitars came with bound fretboards, cheap guitars (like Fenders) didn't. This includes Gibsons, Martins, etc. I actually had a really hard time at first accepting that PRS would make an expensive guitar without a bound fretboard!

I like the tone of vintage guitars, and if the old style machines are part of that, fine, but none of my PRS electrics has them. My PS acoustic came with vintage style Robsons, but they're more like deluxe Waverly machines. Nonetheless; they're a PITA, too.

jrZzCbF.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things I like most about (my) PRS guitars is the locking machine heads. As was mentioned earlier, I think all guitars should have them.

Love that SG, Les. Every time I see it, I want to go find one.

I like the locking Phase IIIs best, but have to admit that I didn't change the vintage tuners on my 594 HB II after lamenting the deletion of locking tuners on it, so apparently it doesn't bother me that much! Locking tuners are best (to me), but any tuner that actually works and stays in tune is just fine.

Nothing worse (guitar-wise anyway) than a guitar that won't tune right, or stay and play in tune.

I want a good flame on my winder too.
And there better be right side buttons and left. side buttons. If they try and cheap out on just making one universal button....welll ..
You do understand then that you'll need to buy both a proprietary left-side and right-side winder, right? If you don't, one side will only turn the pegs in the reverse direction.

Back