New Tremonti, some concerns

csquared

So I've had her about 10 days now. Open box and she's beautiful. Setup out of the box was impressive, best intonation I've had on a factory instrument and action was close to my preference, just a slight truss rod adjustment after a few days here. But as I spend more time with it, especially with my glasses on, I have some concerns.

Neck profile: this is probably one of my biggest concerns. I have a CU24 with a pattern thin neck and it's probably one of my favorites. Incredibly comfortable for my hands. As a guy with Lupus, neck profile is one of the most critical elements in selecting an instrument. The Tremonti is supposed to have a pattern thin neck. While the overall thickness feels about the same the shoulders are completely different. I haven't played or owned a lot of PRS guitars, but played enough to know that usually PRS necks are usually pretty identical from one to the other. These 2 are from different planets.

Wiring: two things of concern here. First the placement of the controls. According to the PRS website, the Tremonti is wired up like the McCarty in that the controls closest to the tremolo are for the neck pickup, those further from the trem closer to the body's edge are for the bridge pickup. This one is wired up with the controls like the ZM, controls closest to the trem are both volumes.
The other concern is any reduction in volume(going from 10-9) is a massive drop in signal and in treble. Happens on both pickups. All my other PRS instruments have treble bleeds installed at the factory.
There are two other minor issues with screws: one of the trem screws is all buggered up and sitting much higher than the other 5. The adjustment screw on the neck pickup is also buggered up like a 4 year old with a butter knife tried to make the adjustment.

I got a decent price when buying this from GC, so I doubt I'll get a further discount, but I'm wondering if this is a counterfeit piece? This was supposed to be NEW, but previously returned as the customer complained the top wasn't pretty enough.

I doubt it is counterfeit, but without pics I cannot be sure, of course.

Is it possible someone changed the wiring of the pots and removed the treble-bleed caps? "Open box" might be someone bought it, switched stuff around, decided to return it, and didn't bother to switch it back or say anything.

As for the neck carve - there are always going to be slight variations on the neck, and PRS has adjusted how they do the shoulders over the last bunch of years - most people seem to prefer the current feel, but YMMV obviously. How old is your CU24?

There are two other minor issues with screws: one of the trem screws is all buggered up and sitting much higher than the other 5. The adjustment screw on the neck pickup is also buggered up like a 4 year old with a butter knife tried to make the adjustment.
And this makes me think the original buyer did indeed mess with the guitar, and returned it "not in factory condition".

Also, are both of these Core guitars, or SE line?

Couple things. First off, since this was pre-owned (even if it was returned), there's no way to be sure what the previous owner did to it. Especially when it comes to the trem screw and what you describe on the pickup screw. That immediately tells me this wasn't a return because of the top - somebody jacked around with it and decided to return it.

For the electronics, I'm not sure if they've changed the Tremonti, but they used to come from the factory with the two volumes closest to the trem (i.e., lined up like the pickups, not arranged like a Les Paul). Depending on what year this is (and if PRS changed the arrangement), that may be original. I know the 594s use the LP layout - not sure if the Tremontis followed suit.

For the neck, given that they're hand finished, the variation you describe doesn't necessarily sound out of range. But if it doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you.

If you're in the return period, I'd take it back and wait for another.

(Was typing this when @shinksma posted.)

I doubt it is counterfeit, but without pics I cannot be sure, of course.

Is it possible someone changed the wiring of the pots and removed the treble-bleed caps? "Open box" might be someone bought it, switched stuff around, decided to return it, and didn't bother to switch it back or say anything.

As for the neck carve - there are always going to be slight variations on the neck, and PRS has adjusted how they do the shoulders over the last bunch of years - most people seem to prefer the current feel, but YMMV obviously. How old is your CU24?

And this makes me think the original buyer did indeed mess with the guitar, and returned it "not in factory condition".

Also, are both of these Core guitars, or SE line?
Both are Core models
Cu24 is 2021, Tremonti is a 2022.
I'm wondering if I should check the pickups? Bridge has a distinct look but there are a million pickups that resemble the neck...

prs-1-jpg.667369
screenshot_20230206-155131_facebook-jpg.669348
screenshot_20230206-155108_facebook-jpg.669349

Looks a like beautiful aquamarine Tremonti, with a bad setup. When I zoom in, the bridge looks like it is slanting back towards the body (not parallel to the strings) and the saddle adjustments look odd. The hex screw look like they are very far down. When you add in the tremelo screws you mention, I would start with a fresh setup.

The controls on my 2022 are like you describe. The PRS website has it like a LP and I assume is a mistake at this point. I believe most Tremonti’s are like what you describe, but I think there have been variations. I prefer the LP layout, but with the knobs in different locations on the Tremonti this makes more sense. Notice the angles they are at are the opposite of a LP.

Seems to me that if you love the guitar and can live with the neck shape, all it needs is a proper set up.

I've had to do a complete set up on every guitar I've ever owned, whether I bought it new or old, in order for ME to be satisfied with it.

I've learned to do it myself and have all of the proper tools. If you can't or don't have the tools maybe GC can help you.

But if you hate the neck shape and can still return it for a refund, maybe you should. You can't change that.

Everything else you can, including adding a treble bleed cap to the volume controls if need be.

In regards to the neck shape, I'm pretty sure that for a number of years the neck shape was tremonti thin so maybe you have that?

That’s a beauty. Remember that your pattern thin with 24 frets is longer both because of the 24 frets and for the DC body style. The SC will feel completely different. I love the Tremonti neck. The
Knobs on the Tremonti are rotated in a different orientation than the 594 for example. I find it difficult to remember what does what when switching back and forth. Nice axe though. Treble bleeds are super easy to add, just heat and slip a cap into place across the input/output.

ALSO, if you notice a "massive" decrease in volume on your volume pots, make sure and double check the ground connections on those pots. You might have a bad connection. The taper should be smooth. Or your pot wiper could be bad, necessitating a new pot.

Hey I can confirm the tremontis controls are not wired like the McCarty (I have them from 02 to 21).
The two knobs closest to the bridge are the volumes (top neck, bottom bridge) and the tones are further out

Back