New Thread Piezo

Finally finished this project. This was a major learning curve/project for me, had to buy a few tools to do it right! I think it is an easier conversion than what I experienced, but because of my own inexperience it was a bit harder. Main stress points was drilling holes and soldering the little toggle switches. I have large hands and I had to call on my wife to help a few times. If I had to do it over again, I would just try the passive route first. I'm glad I have the full install with the acousti-phonic kit, including the mid/dark push pull volume and two mini toggles, but after playing it a few days, I'm not sure I'll use all of it that often. Here's a few pics I'll link below. I coupled this with a few IR's on my Quad Cortex, and I'm ecstatic with the acoustic tone I get.
Saddle wires Trem https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMHGIMP2QpfqGjgeOuUJv9rGKazopxgngKgietN
Cavity hole for saddle wires https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOz1NQ_43cNe-X3e2uSWfo2C_RGXUF7cMPFUWF8
Saddle wires cavity https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNoAXKH0qfb34b3I8xLQ3R1aN2aWFL3xQS75taJ
Holes drilled for mini toggles https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipObu9a2WxaSVMDZPWaMOGtZMmPtO8EEs7CTj_1p
Trem fully decked https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMXaJFnD53gfGRY3OEEmjgrLlfFWdilVi0dCf8L
Cavity completed https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPlgqD3UDsyUwueTAFUUTmlfV7dvu4s9CSd4_An
Finished https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMJRIrRUejhV6bCvUDtpjSrqXFMU6lj8o2Z3o1B
Photo links aren’t working

I changed the link. I'll work on getting a photo host. Thanks for posting my pic!

Hey no problems.

I initially used Google and it’s awkward to load forum links, which is a shame, because it’s a decent platform for image hosting.

I know we’re talking Piezo and I don’t want to hijack the thread but the red guitar to the left and what did you do with the switching there? I’m curious, I see too mini-toggles and a volume.
Red one is in Hiland config, so the neck pickup is set to split by default. The volume is a push/pull so pull that up and the neck is humbucker mode and the bridge is split. One of the mini-toggles is a Sweet Switch and the other is a 3 way for the pickups.

Red one is in Hiland config, so the neck pickup is set to split by default. The volume is a push/pull so pull that up and the neck is humbucker mode and the bridge is split. One of the mini-toggles is a Sweet Switch and the other is a 3 way for the pickups.
If you don’t mind what type of mini toggle do you use on the three-way. I am assuming that it’s a long shaft I would like to do a three pickup selector switch mini toggle for one of my older PRS guitars without modifying the holes.

If you don’t mind what type of mini toggle do you use on the three-way. I am assuming that it’s a long shaft I would like to do a three pickup selector switch mini toggle for one of my older PRS guitars without modifying the holes.

Nope, nada, negatory! Not getting me that easily.

I you saying they don’t exist? Or you just don’t want to give up the information? :p

Sorry Andrew it was all your talk of “three-ways”, “long shafts” and “modifying holes”.

I have a bag of three way mini-toggles that would most likely be suitable. PM me your address and I will send you a couple to try.

Sorry Andrew it was all your talk of “three-ways”, “long shafts” and “modifying holes”.

I have a bag of three way mini-toggles that would most likely be suitable. PM me your address and I will send you a couple to try.
I fell for that hook line and sinker. I should know better lol you dirty old bastard you

Thank you so much I’ll PM you the info!!!

I installed it quite awhile ago but I'm a solid 71% sure that the 3 way is a standard one, not long shaft. I think I might have taken off any lower side nut or washer and have the body of the 3 way pushed right up against the body so that it's barely just sticking up out of the hole. It's not easy to get the nut on but when you do it's pretty flush and looks good. I've done this with a few of my PRSes.

I wish I'd seen this earlier. Maybe 15 years ago I installed a GHOST piezo into a CE24 that I bought specifically to do this. I drilled two holes in the bridge to run the wires and drilled a hole in the guitar for the 3 way mini-toggle. I don't use a volume for the piezo on the guitar. I set the trim on the preamp to match the output of the mag pickups when running full bore. The three way of the Triple Shot should work the same as a regular three way, just wire it to the triple shot instead of a 3 way.

I have since installed Fishman Fluence pickups on it and run the pickups and the piezo off the same 9 volt. The Fishman uses both knobs as push/pulls so I couldn't use a piezo volume anyway. It all fits.

It's the green one.
J44kuZK.jpg
Did you have any issues with the active Fishmans and the Piezo? I had started to consider trying to install a set of Fishman Fluence Classics that u have laying around I to my Core HBII Piezo. However, in my initial research I have read that piezo + active pickups don't work together. I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to blend the piezo and mag together at the same time, but as long as I can still plug into the combo jack and switch between them with the 3 way switch, I would be good to go.

Did you have any issues with the active Fishmans and the Piezo? I had started to consider trying to install a set of Fishman Fluence Classics that u have laying around I to my Core HBII Piezo. However, in my initial research I have read that piezo + active pickups don't work together. I wouldn't lose sleep over not being able to blend the piezo and mag together at the same time, but as long as I can still plug into the combo jack and switch between them with the 3 way switch, I would be good to go.
Not sure why anyone would say that. It works great!

Not sure why anyone would say that. It works great!
That's interesting to hear. I wound up asking the question to PRS Customer Service and got the following response (note this os specific to the HBII Piezo). I wonder what the difference might be with how your piezo preamp is able to blend the two signals together without issue while the PRS one apparently is not able to.

I am thinking about potentially giving up the option of blending the mag and piezo together and going with separate outputs for each (there are already two output jacks). I am in the middle of installing the Fluences into a different guitar to get reacquainted with them again before considering the plunge of modding up a Wood Library PRS.

All signal (both Piezo and Magnetic) will pass through the Piezo circuit board of a HBII Piezo, so it would require some significant modifications to the Piezo board and volume components in order to achieve a setup with an active set of pickups, such as the Fishman Fluence set.

Our tech had advised that the change in volume pot value in order to accomplish this typically either results in a bad sounding Piezo signal, or bad sounding magnetic signal, depending on your choice of volume pot value.

The other workaround to this would be to install a completely separate active circuit for the the Fishman circuit, but then you lose your ability to blend the two signals.

Generally, we wouldn't advise this since it would change the overall layout of controls and affect signal in a way that we believe doesn't sound as good as the original parts.

Last edited:
One problem I have run into in the past when installing the Ghost system is the clearance under the saddles. If there isn’t enough clearance the wires will kink and bind and you won’t be able to adjust the saddles low enough. Other than that it’s a great system and it looks like you have it handled. Nice job!

Back