New SE signature model

Interesting! So PRS is now a big enough brand that it is starting to do limited Signature editions in Europe (outside the home-base market)...I can see this annoying many people, because it means the US can't have it all, but it should also spur innovation in their model line up, and eventually ideas will percolate throughout the rest of the models.

The SE Tremonti Custom was the same way when it was introduced in 2012, Europe only, then it became available in the US very quickly.

Similar situation to the new Standards too.

what is the guitarist known for? i was not aware of him before this announcement.

The SE Tremonti Custom was the same way when it was introduced in 2012, Europe only, then it became available in the US very quickly.

Did the SE Tremonti Custom have a limited to xxx units "for Europe only" too, like this latest one? Or was it a case of introduced in Europe first (like the SE Standards, now hitting the US), without necessarily saying "only Europe"?

The phraseology of this latest "Ace from Skunk Anansie" sig model seems quite specific, although perhaps there are some translation glitches: It says "Just 180 of these guitars will be available, in Europe alone.", which I interpret to mean 180 units, available in Europe only, no intention for release anywhere else.

Did the SE Tremonti Custom have a limited to xxx units "for Europe only" too, like this latest one? Or was it a case of introduced in Europe first (like the SE Standards, now hitting the US), without necessarily saying "only Europe"?

The phraseology of this latest "Ace from Skunk Anansie" sig model seems quite specific, although perhaps there are some translation glitches: It says "Just 180 of these guitars will be available, in Europe alone.", which I interpret to mean 180 units, available in Europe only, no intention for release anywhere else.

I can't speak for the Tremonti Custom, but I don't believe the SE Standards were marketed in that manner originally. It was simply a new line that was released and the US was just not mentioned (aka no mention of Europe only).

Similar situation to the new Standards too.

what is the guitarist known for? i was not aware of him before this announcement.
I was introduced to Skin from Skunk Anansie here:

They didn't really ever take off in US. That song always made me love the uniqueness and power of her voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this different in any way from the Tremonti Custom (apart from the sticker...)?

It has a mahogany neck, versus the Tre- Custom`s maple neck. They haven`t announced the body thickness, or whether or not it`s all mahogany or has a maple cap. Then there`s the pickups, which could be different. I`m curious. I`d like a mahogany neck tremonti with an up route for the trem, to compare to my maple neck.

Is this different in any way from the Tremonti Custom (apart from the sticker...)?
Tremonti Custom isn't available in solid black paint... otherwise, I'm guessing this is how they do a limited run of SEs. I don't know what their arrangement with World Musical Guitars is like, but I'm guessing they need to order a minimum number of units of a particular design for it to be profitable. This being just like another model, only with different paint, probably allows them to do a limited run and still turn a profit.

I'm sorry but I don't see the point. It's not different enough from the Tremonti Custom to warrant a different name, in my opinion.

Now if it had a P-90 in the neck, a 25.5 inch scale, an ash back with mahagony top or something, that's something you can't currently get with any other model. Even the Tim Mahoney was unique in that it was a 24 fret stoptail, very rare, no maple cap and of course the baby blue finish which is a very specific finish. Even the the guy who has the 24 fret singlecut SE, Akerfelt I think? That warrants a model to me.

Back