New SE’s!!! HB,HBII, Starla, and Mira?!?!

You have to remember that the S2 line, certainly at the lowest price-point are the most basic US made PRS guitars. Its the choice between a no frills US made that also shares some similar parts too or the highest end import SE version. Yes you can possibly buy an S2 Standard for little more than a PRS SE HBii that comes in a Hard Case, but you cannot buy the equivalent S2 guitar for the equivalent SE. Just think how much a HBii S2 version with a Hardcase would possibly be priced - probably CE money if not more...

If you would rather buy the S2 Standard than say the HBii because the prices are close, then go ahead. If you want to get your hands on a cheap PRS branded Hollowbody, then you know have that option too. Just because the highest end of the SE range are now nearly at the lowest priced US made guitar, it doesn't mean you can buy anything like the guitars in the SE range but US made for the same money. If you want a HBii, a Paul's guitar etc made in the US, you have to spend 4x the money. If you would rather spend the same money on US made models, the S2 Standards, then that is your choice but its not the same type of models the you can get in the SE range.

I am not being negative when I say the S2 Standard is the lowest end of the US made PRS, I know they are no frills guitars but they are different from the highest end SE's which are based on the Core PRS models. The price point of the S2 Standards is irrelevant because they are a different guitar and the equivalent to those SE's are the Core versions which cost 4x as much so its not fair to look at the prices and think you can spend the same money on a US made guitar and get the same type of guitar instead.

You have to remember that the S2 line, certainly at the lowest price-point are the most basic US made PRS guitars. Its the choice between a no frills US made that also shares some similar parts too or the highest end import SE version. Yes you can possibly buy an S2 Standard for little more than a PRS SE HBii that comes in a Hard Case, but you cannot buy the equivalent S2 guitar for the equivalent SE. Just think how much a HBii S2 version with a Hardcase would possibly be priced - probably CE money if not more...

If you would rather buy the S2 Standard than say the HBii because the prices are close, then go ahead. If you want to get your hands on a cheap PRS branded Hollowbody, then you know have that option too. Just because the highest end of the SE range are now nearly at the lowest priced US made guitar, it doesn't mean you can buy anything like the guitars in the SE range but US made for the same money. If you want a HBii, a Paul's guitar etc made in the US, you have to spend 4x the money. If you would rather spend the same money on US made models, the S2 Standards, then that is your choice but its not the same type of models the you can get in the SE range.

I am not being negative when I say the S2 Standard is the lowest end of the US made PRS, I know they are no frills guitars but they are different from the highest end SE's which are based on the Core PRS models. The price point of the S2 Standards is irrelevant because they are a different guitar and the equivalent to those SE's are the Core versions which cost 4x as much so its not fair to look at the prices and think you can spend the same money on a US made guitar and get the same type of guitar instead.

I agree - you have to consider what you’re getting on a guitar to guitar basis, for the SE vs S2, even the same models sometimes have a different spec - for example, the SE Customs have maple necks, and S2’s have mahogany necks, and that could be a major factor for some people (it is for me), or different neck shapes, etc. Generally, an S2 model costs about twice as much as the SE equivalent. So they don’t actually overlap very much - if anything, the S2 Standard Satins pick up where the SE’s leave off. And I would be surprised to see those satins go anywhere, almost everyone who buys one loves it. It’s one heck of a deal on a massive sounding Maryland made guitar, if you’re ok with less bling.

With all that has gone into the S2 production effort, I just can’t believe they would stop making them. It was part of the long term plan at PRS to create an entire production line to make guitars that way. They also got a sizeable grant from the state of Maryland for the addition of more jobs, equipment, etc., so they may be required to continue the project on that front as well. Of course, this is all second fiddle to the fact that they seem to be selling very well.

I have no idea on whether PRS do intend to keep making S2's or not but even if they were to close down production there, I doubt very much that it would have any impact on the job situation. With the backlog of orders on guitars like the Silver Sky for example and orders for Core/Private Stock still taking month's before these orders can even be started, any staff and equipment from the S2 line would most likely be shifted up to Bolt-on, core etc manufacture. If PRS were keeping up with orders, people only having to wait a couple of months (3-6mths), then you could potentially worry about jobs but I would expect them to be moved to production else where.

Anyway, that is speculation not based on any factual news. Until PRS do state that S2's are ceasing, then it makes no sense to consider it. There is still a big difference between the SE's at the higher price point and those S2's at the lowest end. It makes no difference if you can buy a SE HBii in a Hardcase or a S2 Standard in a gig bag, they are 2 very different guitars. The SE Custom 24 is cheaper than the S2 Custom 24 which is cheaper than the Bolt-on Custom 24 (seems the CE tag has changed with the introduction of the Silver Sky to Bolt-On series) which is cheaper than a Core Custom 24 - this is the only guitar that can be compared to each other and looked at from even the price perspective. Its not right to compare the cheapest guitar in one series to the most expensive in the previous series unless they are essentially the same guitar - the equivalent model.

My biggest problem with the S2 line is that they only offer one neck profile. I mean, come on, the SE's have several to choose from. In other words, I want an S2 with a wide fat neck!!!!

My dream S2 would be, a Satin finish singlecut with a wide fat neck, no pickgaurd and a two piece bridge with the bridge pickup in the proper position like a LP ( closer to the bridge ).

My first PRS was a HBII. I used to use it quite a bit, but the longer I have it the more hesitant I am to take it out - fear of scratches/dings/theft at gigs. I can possibly see a HBII SE in my future. I'm wondering why all the new SE's seem to come with the wife/fat neck. It would be a no-brainer if they came with a wide-thin or pattern neck...

Excited to see what else is in store. I've got my eyes peeled for a new singlecut type guitar. An SE 594SC or an SE Silver Sky would absolutely make me open my wallet.

To be more realistic, I would love to see the SE245 get an update. New colors, maybe throw in the 58/15 S pickups.

I’d go as far as to say I think the SE single cut NEEDS an update. I’ve got one but it’s been refretted and the bridge remounted in the correct position, I could do with a new one!

You know, my Bernie has a quartersawn neck with a long tenon. That’s a higher spec than the glued on headstock of the S2

I have no idea on whether PRS do intend to keep making S2's or not but even if they were to close down production there, I doubt very much that it would have any impact on the job situation. With the backlog of orders on guitars like the Silver Sky for example and orders for Core/Private Stock still taking month's before these orders can even be started, any staff and equipment from the S2 line would most likely be shifted up to Bolt-on, core etc manufacture. If PRS were keeping up with orders, people only having to wait a couple of months (3-6mths), then you could potentially worry about jobs but I would expect them to be moved to production else where.

Anyway, that is speculation not based on any factual news. Until PRS do state that S2's are ceasing, then it makes no sense to consider it. There is still a big difference between the SE's at the higher price point and those S2's at the lowest end. It makes no difference if you can buy a SE HBii in a Hardcase or a S2 Standard in a gig bag, they are 2 very different guitars. The SE Custom 24 is cheaper than the S2 Custom 24 which is cheaper than the Bolt-on Custom 24 (seems the CE tag has changed with the introduction of the Silver Sky to Bolt-On series) which is cheaper than a Core Custom 24 - this is the only guitar that can be compared to each other and looked at from even the price perspective. Its not right to compare the cheapest guitar in one series to the most expensive in the previous series unless they are essentially the same guitar - the equivalent model.

Good point. If S2 ceases production they could up the Core production as they're made in the same facility. Not sure that's a good idea for business though. Even their SE line, I recently bought an TX20E and it took a little over 3 months to get it. That really says a lot that PRS is so backed up...it's a great problem to have. I also thought I heard they added extra shifts to meet the demand for silver skies... as well my dealer tells me all core models are a year wait.

I bought a core studio model in 2012 (I wish they still made this...) and I received it in 3 months. Boy times have changed.

Back