New SE’s!!! HB,HBII, Starla, and Mira?!?!

The PRS website states the SE Hollowbody II comes with a hard case, but Chicago Music Exchange reports Gig Bag...? Anyone else notice this?...But at this price, I'm guessing a Gig Bag, yes? Either way, this is a sweet guitar for the price...

***Question(maybe this has been asked before, but...) These are made in the Indonesia plant, right? Are all sent to Maryland for a quality control check before being sent to the dealers or just say 1 of 10 or 20 samples?
I took a factory tour about a month ago and asked the same question when I saw the SEs all boxed on the second floor. They said all are inspected. In fact, about 2 weeks ago there was a job posting for an SE QC inspector. I think the posting said the successful candidate would have to inspect 40 guitars per day, so that comes to one every 12 minutes. I guess they are ramping up for the new imports.

From everything I've been seeing and reading here and elsewhere, this line is going to sell like crazy, especially the HB's....GREAT JOB PRS!!! This is one hell of an exciting launch!

Where is the se silver sky??????
If they make an SE 594 I'll go for that.

The one thing that all the SE line offer is that they are all distinctly PRS OR Signature models. They are not PRS's take on a Les Paul or Strat. Why make an SE version when there are numerous other brands that import LP and Strat copies - inc Gibson and Fender. Its one thing taken them on at the high-end, the end of the market where you have fewer competition but at the lowest entry point for PRS has a lot more companies making Strat/LP types.

All the SE guitars currently are models that are really only PRS models - the Custom/Standard 22/24, 277, SVN and their Signature models. The 4 new additions are also very PRS models. Apart from Harley Benton, there isn't really PRS copies like there are Strat/LP copies.

I am not saying it will never happen, but it does seem that PRS SE models are models that are clearly PRS guitars that don't have an alternative made elsewhere so to speak. Its almost like saying 'We know you can't get a cheap Custom 24 or Paul's Guitar, so we are looking to Indonesia and Korea to make these for you. However we know there are LOTS of import Strat/LP models that are also cheaper than we can bring because of the extra check we do at our factory, so it seems pointless'. Maybe though they could do some short limited runs of either to see the interest or see whether they can compete with Squire, Epiphone, MiM Fender, lower end Gibson and the numerous other brands that have their versions on the market.

The one thing that all the SE line offer is that they are all distinctly PRS OR Signature models. They are not PRS's take on a Les Paul or Strat. Why make an SE version when there are numerous other brands that import LP and Strat copies - inc Gibson and Fender. Its one thing taken them on at the high-end, the end of the market where you have fewer competition but at the lowest entry point for PRS has a lot more companies making Strat/LP types.

All the SE guitars currently are models that are really only PRS models - the Custom/Standard 22/24, 277, SVN and their Signature models. The 4 new additions are also very PRS models. Apart from Harley Benton, there isn't really PRS copies like there are Strat/LP copies.

I am not saying it will never happen, but it does seem that PRS SE models are models that are clearly PRS guitars that don't have an alternative made elsewhere so to speak. Its almost like saying 'We know you can't get a cheap Custom 24 or Paul's Guitar, so we are looking to Indonesia and Korea to make these for you. However we know there are LOTS of import Strat/LP models that are also cheaper than we can bring because of the extra check we do at our factory, so it seems pointless'. Maybe though they could do some short limited runs of either to see the interest or see whether they can compete with Squire, Epiphone, MiM Fender, lower end Gibson and the numerous other brands that have their versions on the market.
I see your point, but I would love to see the SE245 align more closely to the SC594, even if it was only the controls that changed. I love singlecuts, but I just can't get on with the control arrangement that the SEs use (and the older Core models).

Uhhhhhh SE HBII??? 58/15S??? Covered???

I probably owe some apologies to anyone I ever told it wouldn’t happen! And, in the same breath... I’ll have one please!

Kinda sad to see the Mira leave the S2 line, but very cool that it’s still around. Also, let’s get that 2 piece stoptail on more SE’s!!!

The Mira and Starla left the S2 line at the end of 2018, so by the time these hit the stores in a month or so there will be almost a year in between the end of the S2 versions and the start of the SE versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out the S2 series.

I hope not; the 22-fret Pattern Regular is about my favorite PRS neck shape/feel. I'm really enjoying the Vela I got at the end of August; love the feel.

But it will depend on how much then want to overlap their product lines price-wise. Fender is pretty much okay with having the MIM models overlap the USA models a bit (not sure what the most expensive MIM is these days that isn't a limited edition - I know that the Vintera Modified Jaguars are $50 less than the American Performer series). I could see the S2 Standard Satins going away as the overlap is too close, but maybe start the S2s with the Standard models.

That being said I'll probably give the SE Mira, Starla and the Hollowbodies alongside trying some of the other S2 models (specifically the S2 Singlecut Standards - gloss and satin).

I wish they did the Mira with wide fat necks, but hey I already have an S2 Mira so I’m not losing my sleep over it. I’m just excited they are being brought back. It’s one hell of a guitar.

Excited to see what else is in store. I've got my eyes peeled for a new singlecut type guitar. An SE 594SC or an SE Silver Sky would absolutely make me open my wallet.

To be more realistic, I would love to see the SE245 get an update. New colors, maybe throw in the 58/15 S pickups.

On Andertons, the Hollowbody models are the most expensive SE's - the HBii being more than the Standard which is priced like the Holcombe and Floyd SE's. As these are the more expensive SE's, it makes sense that the price is also including a Hard Case. It also makes more sense for a HB to include a Hard case as these are more likely to require more protection than a solid body

There's a lot to like about the HB II. Ebony fretboard, Adjustable Bridge, etc...and price, but neither of the two finishes do anything for me. So I'll wait...

I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out the S2 series.

I would hope not...

As much as I praise my Bernie, the S2 Singlecut Satin Standard is just a better guitar. Not saying the Bernie is bad, in fact it replaced a much more expensive SG as my number 1 at the time. However, if I were to buy a PRS today, my first choice would be a used DGT and second choice would be a S2 Standard.

Oh snap, just when I thought I finally had GAS under control. That Starla and either of the HB's would do very nicely...maybe both? And whoever mentioned Bigsby's for all, I wholeheartedly agree!!

Based on the demo, the HB II SE definitely seems much brighter than the HB standard. I may lean toward the standard since I can get bright out of my CE. But I fear it may not get bright enough for me??? I'm thinking the Grey one if I go HBII I think I may have to pre-order :)

Back