New range of PRS SE Standards

charliefrench

Disappointed with the color and body material options with the SE Standard range? Want flamed maple tops in funky colors, maple necks maybe?

Enjoy

We might have to settle for non standard standards then :) Just thought, I hope these models are genuine PRS SE's!

The word 'Standard' in PRS circles indicates the guitar body is all mahogany therefore no flamed maple tops.

The man in the video referred to them as Standards and claimed they are only available in China. Look similar to Customs to me, maybe these are what they are. Perhaps they are labeled incorrectly at the exhibition and dear Henning misinformed us all. Sorry everyone.

Did anyone else think that guy was a real A-hole, that dialysis comment pissed me off....sorry off topic...

But, the headstock he showed was not the 2017 SE custom headstock, with the signature and small "SE." It looked like the old 'standard' headstock branding.

Either way, what's up with an American company giving the best colorway options exclusively to a foreign market? What possible rationale can there be for that?

Did anyone else think that guy was a real A-hole, that dialysis comment pissed me off....sorry off topic...

Henning is an 'acquired taste.' He's an obnoxious spaz. But, hey, power to him for doing what he enjoys. The dialysis thing.... Just a poor taste sound nugget from someone trying to be amusing. As i always say, if you need to fill hours of air with your voice, with no editor or censor, you're going to say some stupid stuff, some annoying stuff, and some offensive stuff.

I was left with a red face shortly after disclosing this not so grand reveal but I am okay now.

No need for red faces we are all learning, some are further along their journey than others! Links to anything PRS related are always welcome and should be encouraged!

Certainly they're different from anything offered to the western world. Plastic binding on the tops, interesting. Those QC issues are very disappointing, though. Very surprising they'd let those go out to a trade show floor.

I suppose it makes sense to do something special for China. I'm sure it's a large, lucrative market with a lot of competition. They appear to be at the lower cost, Indonesian-made level so I think it also makes sense to call them Standards.

Re QC. The scratch or indentation on the top could have happened at any point when it left the factory. The rear of that guitar shown at a glance looked like glue remnants below the lacquer. Guess it happens but disappointing to see this at an exhibition yes, and poor QC selection by the distributer.

I remember my reaction years ago when PRS announced their first Korean SE model, the Santana if I recall correctly. To my shame I sniffed at the idea. The reviews that followed pretty much lit up the sky and I was still skeptical. Further on up the road things have changed. Or at least I have.

I was wrong.

I remember my reaction years ago when PRS announced their first Korean SE model, the Santana if I recall correctly. To my shame I sniffed at the idea. The reviews that followed pretty much lit up the sky and I was still skeptical. Further on up the road things have changed. Or at least I have.

I was wrong.

Yeah, I was salty too.. Now I own four SE's. :rolleyes:

I have just the two, Korean and Indonesian. Of mine the Indonesian model is the better. Culturally Indonesians really love to play guitar. I have seen roadside shack-luthier shops with their guitars hanging outside in the sun. They were not SE's - don't worry :)

Re QC. The scratch or indentation on the top could have happened at any point when it left the factory. The rear of that guitar shown at a glance looked like glue remnants below the lacquer. Guess it happens but disappointing to see this at an exhibition yes, and poor QC selection by the distributer.

I was wrong.

That mark on the top looked beneath the finish to me. Errors like that and on the back of the other one are unacceptable on any PRS, wherever made.

I didn't originally want to like the SE guitars, either. But now that I've had four of them, I can say they're consistently great guitars. I haven't experienced any of the Standard models yet, but they seem to have great reports from owners.

Just watched the video again. The guitar with the cute purple flame maple top has SE Standard on the headstock. It is shown to the viewer in the video at 4:41. I wasn't dreaming after all. Who's to know which other models will be pimped up and offered for sale in China only.

I wonder if PRS will restrict the Chinese dealerships to selling only inside China. Is this possible?

Back