New PRS Restoration Project - Input Requested

What color should I paint my '06 Standard

• Seafoam Green

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Gold top w/ natural back and neck

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • Black Beauty style (white faux binding, gold hardware)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • All White w/ natural binding

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Wildlife portrait

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

NoisyDante

There’s a fine line between stupid and clever.
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted, it's nice to be working full time again!

I'm starting another restoration project like the one I did last year with the CU22. I just bought a road worn black '06 Standard 22 off eBay that needs a ton of work and I'm trying to decide how I want to refinish it. Being a solid color from the factory I'm not sure of the quality of the mahogany beneath the paint. For all I know it may not have a back on it that I'd want to keep natural, in which case I'd do an opaque color all over.

Another option would be to hand paint a wildlife scene on it, likely of a bison, just for fun. Obviously this is the most challenging.

I've put my initial top ideas in a poll below, you can vote twice so let me know which two sound the most promising. I'm also open to alternative ideas so please post what else might look sweet. Doesn't have to be traditional, could be something crazy.

I voted other. Not knowing what the top looks until you peel the onion is a challenge. I'd go white back, and decide what color to do the top after you see the grain. I had a Santana that went from its original hideous (IMO) blue back to white.

Before

KqGVypj.jpg

tiSyJFO.jpg

After

iFCCg4M.jpg

BXLYTqf.jpg

4vjFWuz.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

I voted other. Not knowing what the top looks until you peel the onion is a challenge. I'd go white back, and decide what color to do the top after you see the grain. I had a Santana that went from its original hideous (IMO) blue back to white.
I think that was an improvement too, the white back is a striking offset from that top.

I think no matter what option I end up with I'll still need to sand the guitar down to the wood to fix all the dings and deep scratches. I don't think I've seen a PRS with so much wear on it, which is of course how I got it for a good price.

edit: After doing some more research I'm confident I'll find it to be a one-piece body, but I've already decided the top will be an opaque finish, and the back being natural will just depend on what will look more interesting.

Last edited:

Before

KqGVypj.jpg

tiSyJFO.jpg

After

iFCCg4M.jpg

BXLYTqf.jpg

4vjFWuz.jpg

9lH9DzK.jpg

OHHHH I remember that one !!!! inspired my Pauls refin (that I sold since).

I voted goldtop and other. Goldtop if the wood looks crappy, other depending on what it looks like naked.:p

Back