"New" Product Category ...

CrimesAgainstMusic

To me at least... While slogging through the normal, workaday drudgery, I snuck out on line and stumbled on a new e-mail I had been sent by a competing brand, about a product I don't believe PRS makes, at least not yet ... a "headphone amplifier" ? Normally I would blow this off a so much BS ... but I looked and Wowza !

These little devises seem really neat. I currently live in an apartment. Plugging into the amp, and blasting away is not an option (and is also illegal, for hobbyists of my standing Crimes . 'ya know). I usually play Katana into headphones ... But these little devises appear to be tiny modelling amps, that play into headphones, and produce decent guitar tones and effects ...

This was Brand "F"'s new devise, named after a car I saw debuted in my hometown in 1964 ... (I was a junior teenybopper) the "Micro" version of their line of modeling amps. It seemed really cool. and the "Influencers"... (Andertons in the UK ) were raving about these things

Anyone have any first hand experience ?

I bought one and tested It with Bose in-ear noise cancelling wired headphones. I compared it to the Waza Craft wireless headphones which I bought when they came out. The Waza sounds better with more bass and a richer sound. The ‘F’ brand did not sound as good. Both have bluetooth to play music or video into the headphones so you can play along. I prefer the Waza, but considering it is about 4 times the price it should sound better. I bought the ‘F’ unit because it fits in the guitar case and travels easier. Both are rechargeable, both have great models and effects. I compared the ‘F’ unit to other small inexpensive units made by the ‘V’ company, it sounds much better than those. I’ll keep both but will use the Waza at home.

The Waza Air headphone setup is pretty nice. While headphone playing isn’t new, as @jxe notes, the all-in-one experience of these particular types are indeed a new experience, if not completely new in concept. Wireless connection to your guitar, decent headphone amplifier tones (as in many, in rigs you can switch through on the fly), a soundstage that changes as you move around, Bluetooth connection to other devices for playing along... it’s not your Dad’s curly-corded headphone setup these days. Whether getting in some quiet (to others in the room) playing at home, to having a simple rig to throw in the suitcase on your next trip, to getting some isolation for warming up prior to a gig, they’re a useful option to have around! Not like plugging into the headphone jack on an Axe Fx, but a lot more portable. I like mine a lot.

"High-End Audio" ... Uses Loudspeakers, not headphones ... :)

he.png

Hi Fi Price .... but not Hi fi ...

BTW, the last insane Hi Fi system I saw produced by the now owners of my current electronics, Focal, now owners of Naim Audio (UK)...

Wanted $328,000 for their amplication (amp, pre-amp and associated power supplies)
to drive Focal's latest insanity loudspeaker . Approximately $500,000 seen at the last AXPONA North America held in Schaumberg, IL ...

There were systems at the show that for a mere $20K that blew them away ... (their demo was silly bad, used red-book CD as their source)

I'm sure the Naim Audio stuff was cool, but for the cost of a Ferrari 488 , Id rather have the Ferrari ...

The same Linn Sondek LP12 I paid $769 for back in 1978, (less arm) ... now goes for about $8K ...

So $50K for headphones really does not mean anything ...

I'm sure they sound good, but nothing beats a good pair of loudspeakers, in a well conditioned listening room ...

The former "Progressive Audio", Columbus OH, had such a "2C3D" (two channel, 3 dimensional) room ... $28K for the room treatment alone

About $150K in gear in the room ... 1990's pricing ...did not include headphones ...

I bought one and tested It with Bose in-ear noise cancelling wired headphones. I compared it to the Waza Craft wireless headphones which I bought when they came out. The Waza sounds better with more bass and a richer sound. The ‘F’ brand did not sound as good. Both have bluetooth to play music or video into the headphones so you can play along. I prefer the Waza, but considering it is about 4 times the price it should sound better. I bought the ‘F’ unit because it fits in the guitar case and travels easier. Both are rechargeable, both have great models and effects. I compared the ‘F’ unit to other small inexpensive units made by the ‘V’ company, it sounds much better than those. I’ll keep both but will use the Waza at home.

Thanks for the scoop ! :)

Your evaluation tracks with what the guys at Andertons Music had to say, I'm down for the Boss stuff (Katana 100 MK2 owner)

But I don't think I need the Waza Air stuff, and at 4 times the cost ? No thanks. I'm thinking I will cop the brand "F" gizmo, as it seems cool

I have concerns about durability though ... but hey at the price ,I'll probably do a back up !;)

well, define it any way you like until everyone else is wrong, but yes there are high end headphone amplifiers, even if they aren’t quite good enough for fabio.

fabio01-jpg.15437

Hi Fi Price .... but not Hi fi ...

BTW, the last insane Hi Fi system I saw produced by the now owners of my current electronics, Focal, now owners of Naim Audio (UK)...

Wanted $328,000 for their amplication (amp, pre-amp and associated power supplies)
to drive Focal's latest insanity loudspeaker . Approximately $500,000 seen at the last AXPONA North America held in Schaumberg, IL ...

There were systems at the show that for a mere $20K that blew them away ... (their demo was silly bad, used red-book CD as their source)

I'm sure the Naim Audio stuff was cool, but for the cost of a Ferrari 488 , Id rather have the Ferrari ...

The same Linn Sondek LP12 I paid $769 for back in 1978, (less arm) ... now goes for about $8K ...

So $50K for headphones really does not mean anything ...

I'm sure they sound good, but nothing beats a good pair of loudspeakers, in a well conditioned listening room ...

The former "Progressive Audio", Columbus OH, had such a "2C3D" (two channel, 3 dimensional) room ... $28K for the room treatment alone

About $150K in gear in the room ... 1990's pricing ...did not include headphones ...

well, define it any way you like until everyone else is wrong, but yes there are high end headphone amplifiers, even if they aren’t quite good enough for fabio.

fabio01-jpg.15437
Yeah ...

I'm not saying that headphones cannot be "hi-end" . Some are lots better than others... :)
But relative to loudspeakers ?

There are probably whole generations of younger folk, that will never experience the '50- 70's experience of having a "listening room", where the stereo rocks in the attempt to recreate live musical performances in the home because of housing costs nowadays !

Buying houses , detached dwellings have gotten lots more expensive...

As for the guy above... Yeah I think he was big on Martin Logan Statement electrostatics, (might even be in the picture) powered by crazy Krell amplification ! All waay into six figures ...

Probably sounded pretty good though ...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jxe
Its because of my current living situation, where all my cool stuff is in storage, until I can cop a detached "Listening Room" / practice space, and basement for the train layout (another '50's artifact) that I am interested in products like the Brand F micro dealio ...

Where one resorts to headphones/earbuds, to enjoy the playing experience, without have to kill neighbors that are bamming on the walls for their sanity :)

Or get cited by the local authorities for committing "Crimes Against Music" ! :rolleyes:

"High-End Audio" ... Uses Loudspeakers, not headphones ... :)

That's not really true.

Mastering engineers check their mixes on headphones to eliminate room anomalies. I do in my work as well (music for TV ads has to be mastered here before submitting for broadcast).

Lots of audiophiles use headphones. Mine are excellent, but the point is that a high end set of headphones, for example the Audeze stuff, can be more accurate than any speaker in a room.

That's not really true.

Mastering engineers check their mixes on headphones to eliminate room anomalies. I do in my work as well (music for TV ads has to be mastered here before submitting for broadcast).

Lots of audiophiles use headphones. Mine are excellent, but the point is that a high end set of headphones, for example the Audeze stuff, can be more accurate than any speaker in a room.

So when you go hear your live symphony orchestra, hopefully in a live acoustic setting with no speakers of any kind, just natural instrument voices ... You have them "bluetooth" you a digital signal to your headphones, so all those live analog instrument voices, along with any acoustic properties that performing hall might add, don't color the sound with "inaccuracies" ?

See for me , the best musical performance, is one like the above when I can here Chicago Symphony Orchestra in Symphony Hall, or a small ensemble in a small space, that does not blow your ears off, and you can actually hear everyone on stage, relative to where they are performing, with a minimum of "mastering" or EQ or any kind....

What is "accurate" ? Your idea of an engineered manufactured sound, or the actual sound of the performers live all together in the performing space ? Anything that requires more of a "sound system" than the people on stage performing is more than I want to hear ... Which is probably why I do not go to the average large event with stacks of speakers on either side of the stage, subjecting the concertgoer to what is essentially "dual mono".

BTW ... the "room treatments" in the 2C3D system I mentioned, address the "anomalies" of your individual listening room, to eliminate standing waves , reflective surfaces, bass cancellation and stuff like that. Creates "perfect" acoustics in your actual listening space...then you ad your carefully selected components to attempt to recreate an actual live performance in your home. Headphones, are probably easier ... but accurate ???

This has gotten waay off track, but it has touched on something more passionate to me than my GuitarLust, but takes me back to my roots as a hi-fi audiophile, and student of music as a clarinet player in the local school ensemble.

Less is better is my bias. Accuracy is what is actually there, good or bad. Not a commercial enterprise where everything is homogenized to sound "good" , but what sounds come off the stage, uncolored by amps & speakers ...unless the guy is playing an electric guitar through a Fender Tweed amp lets say ... with no PA assist .

But I started this thread to find out what people thought of the relatively new Brand F "headphone amp" ... that is all

While headphone playing isn’t new, as @jxe notes, the all-in-one experience of these particular types are indeed a new experience, if not completely new in concept.

That's what I was trying to say ... Friday, I bought the Brand "F" Micro ponycar ... IT IS COOL BEYOND BELIEF !!! :)

To have all this techno whiz-bang (essentially a modelling amp, shrunk down to the size of a big pack of chewing gum ...

Completely portable, plugged into your guitar output jack

That sounds as good as it does. That does all the stuff that it does . and costs as little as it does .. Is mindblowing.

Yes , Brand "B" (I actually have their modelling amp ) makes a solution that is more involving but is not truly stand alone (which allows it to do more stuff better)... but it costs MORE than my 100MK II model of their modelling amp so ...

There is a Brand X (that is New? ) that does cool things, but it looks heavily reliant on a stoopid phone or other wireless devise to access software Apps to use it properly

All these devises will enhance the enjoyment OF YOUR PRS GUITARS (Yes even the Silver Sky, that Brand B's unit has a problem with ) .. this for the Forum Police (keepin it PRS)

But really , if you do not have one of these gizmos, you are really missing out ... Living in a multiple unit dwelling ... Practicing late at night, not wanting to awake others in your living space ...Being Bound By Law Not to Subject Others to your Playing ... This beast address all these contingencies.

And it is cheap ! Put it on your Dad's Day List !

I'm going to buy a second unit, just for backup !

It will put a smile on your face !:cool: As you practice away on your PRS Guitars !

Back to original topic... I bought the "F" Pony Car headphone device.... I LOVE IT! Exactly as someone said above, just another way to enjoy our guitars in a variety of environments.

I take one of my kids to baseball practice twice per week in the evenings. I have an SUV and I bring a guitar and the Mustang... I can sit in the back and play/practice/use jam tracks etc. It is awesome and totally affordable for what it is. Great value in my opinion.

Back to original topic... I bought the "F" Pony Car headphone device.... I LOVE IT! Exactly as someone said above, just another way to enjoy our guitars in a variety of environments.

I take one of my kids to baseball practice twice per week in the evenings. I have an SUV and I bring a guitar and the Mustang... I can sit in the back and play/practice/use jam tracks etc. It is awesome and totally affordable for what it is. Great value in my opinion.

Just an aside (and full disclosure) ... I read online complaints about "noise" generated by the Micro PonyCar , I did notice a little "fizzy" sound upon pick attack ... that fades quickly.

I also had questions about recharging . I have small "wall wart" transformer that I use to re-charge an Apple iPod... 5V 1 Amp. So I called Brand "F" product support and asked about the charger and yes , its cool. Voltage matches (5V) and amperage exceeds . 6 required, 1 A supplied, so all is cool there.

I asked about firmware updates for the Micro, and there are none currently, but they are working on a firmware update to address the fizzy / noise issue.

Funny, that after raising the issue with F Tech Support, I did not notice any fizzy upon practicing yesterday ...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this!!! I am going to get one of these. I don't have a dedicated practice space at this time, so this will be really nice at night for me to be able to roam about playing rather than being tied to my DAW or amp with headphones attached. I don't have any "worthy" wireless head phones and besides, from what Fender has stated on this item, they did not include connection to wireless headphones as the signal is not fast enough to not suffer from noticeable latency when playing. I can even wonder out onto the porch!!! Yeah!!! Look out neighbors!

As for this whole "F" brand and pony car, etc., Oy! Is this what we are coming to, you can't even mention something else from another company? Seems a very elitist attitude if that is in fact what is being expected of us to participate in this forum. I get the idea of not wanting it to turn into a forum about other products, and it is here to promote PRS, but it is an industry, and PRS does not make everything that we want/need. Like this little bad pony here! A 12 cylinder (amp) wonder! I guess, if one of the modeled amps on this little pony was a PRS, then it would be OK to say it's name!!! Maybe there will be updates available to add other amps, PRS's included! That would be fun!!!

Happy pickin', no matter what Fi you call it!!
MW

Back