New John McLaughlin Limited PS Run

High pass filters are the new thing.
I thought a high pass filter took the top end off. This seems to be the opposite. I don’t get the technical terms of music terminology sometimes.

$15K

Top Carve: Violin Carve
Top Wood: Maple
Back Wood: Black Limba

Number of Frets: 22
Fret Wire: PRS Jumbo
Scale Length: 25”
Neck Wood: Hormigo
Neck Construction: One-Piece
Truss Rod: PRS Double-Acting
Neck Shape: Pattern
Neck Depth at .5 Fret: 7/8”
Neck Depth at 12.5th Fret: 61/64”
Fretboard Wood: African Blackwood
Fretboard Radius: 10”
Fretboard Inlay: Celtic Knots, Abalone Knot w/ Holly Spikes and Crushed Opal Oval
Headstock Decal: Private Stock Eagle, Crushed Opal w/ Holly Outlines
NBA: Set Neck

Bridge: PRS Patented Gen III Tremolo
Tuners: PRS Phase III Locking
Hardware Type: Nickel
Nut: Bone
Truss Rod:
John McLaughlin

Treble Pickup: TCI
Bass Pickup: TCI
Controls: Volume & Tone Controls with 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch and Two Mini-Toggle EQ Switches

Case: Private Stock Brown Paisley

I thought a high pass filter took the top end off. This seems to be the opposite. I don’t get the technical terms of music terminology sometimes.
This is a new name, well not so new, for something that has been done before. PRS is using the right term here. It is a high pass filter, which cuts low end. A low pass filter cuts high end. Audio engineers are very familiar with these terms. Although I will say they are kind of mixing the filter and shelf terms here, which are very similar.

But will he still be raving about it a year from now? Hope so.

He's still playing the 3 Private Stocks PRS made for him long before this. One's a double neck. He's been big on PRS for many years.

He played one at PRS Experience in 2015, which was a GREAT show. What a talent.

You can see them on his website, which has his header picture playing one of his PRS'.

The guy on the Strat was applauding like mad; it was probably tough to be a guitarist sharing a stage with McLaughlin!!

Last edited:
As a side note...

I loved when McLaughlin said (I'm paraphrasing) that music comes from a place that transcends thinking. He really nailed it.

I find that when I think about what I'm doing (whether as a composer or player), my music is never as good as when I simply let it flow.

The guy on the Strat was applauding like mad; it was probably tough to be a guitarist sharing a stage with McLaughlin!!
Stuck playing a whole lotta rhythm.....on a STRAT of all things.

Those guys in the Tonight Show Band were probably sight reading that whole thing.

I think I heard John say he wrote the arrangement the day before the gig...or close to it.

Could be wrong.

I guess the logic is "high frequencies get passed through and lows get cut". I would call it a low cut filter as only a small portion of the frequencies is being affected, so not only is the high passing but the mids are passing as well. Only lows are being cut, so Low Cut filter would be more accurate and understandable IMO! Of course, I don't think PRS made this up, but whoever did should retract and correct it ;~))

I guess the logic is "high frequencies get passed through and lows get cut". I would call it a low cut filter as only a small portion of the frequencies is being affected, so not only is the high passing but the mids are passing as well. Only lows are being cut, so Low Cut filter would be more accurate and understandable IMO! Of course, I don't think PRS made this up, but whoever did should retract and correct it ;~))
Moondog, in pro audio world, the inescapable fact is they're usually called 'high pass filters', and have been ever since they were invented.

But it's not called a 'high frequency pass filter'. It's called a high pass filter because it passes everything at any higher frequency than the turnover point through the circuit unfiltered; however, different filters have different curves for the cutoff point. Some are more gradual than others.

So high pass is as accurate to describe it as 'low cut filter', though some people do call it a low cut filter.

It's kind of a semantic difference at this point. If I'm producing in an outside studio and I want to hear that type of filter, I'll ask the engineer to put a high pass filter on the track, not a low cut filter, and most engineers would call it the same thing and understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Curious as to why the mention of American Alinco for the TCI pickups. Is the magnet inherently superior being American made?

I do like the aesthetics and would expect it to ring for days. I’m not a huge Celtic knot person but view it as better than the brushstroke birds.

I’d be curious to hear the pickups and filter toggles. But not $15k curious :oops:

Curious as to why the mention of American Alinco for the TCI pickups. Is the magnet inherently superior being American made?

I do like the aesthetics and would expect it to ring for days. I’m not a huge Celtic knot person but view it as better than the brushstroke birds.

I’d be curious to hear the pickups and filter toggles. But not $15k curious :oops:
Because most of the alnico magnets used in pickups today are made in China.

It's cool that they're made in America.

Maybe they're more like the original magnets in Gibson and Fender pickups.

Last edited:
Back