New Hollowbody ii SE Piezo...piezo p/u so loud ?

Hello folks. This is my first post! I’ve been enjoying the site and all the info.

I have a new HB ii SE with Piezo and the piezo when blending is soooo hot/loud. It does sound awesome, crazy deep full sound when I roll on both p/u blended full.

But, I would like to be able to get a better balance in the volume when blending. When I have only the mag p/u and then bring in the piezo for the nice blend, wow, does it increase the overall volume.

So, can the piezo be tamed?
Thanks.

Hello folks. This is my first post! I’ve been enjoying the site and all the info.

I have a new HB ii SE with Piezo and the piezo when blending is soooo hot/loud. It does sound awesome, crazy deep full sound when I roll on both p/u blended full.

But, I would like to be able to get a better balance in the volume when blending. When I have only the mag p/u and then bring in the piezo for the nice blend, wow, does it increase the overall volume.

So, can the piezo be tamed?
Thanks.

Welcome!

There is a thread around here somewhere, that I am not able find atm, where it discusses that on the SE HB II w/ Piezo, there is small potentiometer on the circuit board located just behind the jack plate assembly. Adjusting that pot is supposed to allow you dial in the piezo volume to get a better balance. Sorry, I can’t be more specific. I do not yet have any personal experience with this model.

EDIT: i found the thread, here’s the link. https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-se-hollowbody-ii-piezo.44110/#post-574597

Thank you ! I will look into that. I am certain mine needs something. It’s just too extreme, no way it’s supposed to be like this. But, great guitar over all. Very happy.

Thanks again.

Are your mag pups adjusted properly? Maybe they’re low and not getting loud enough?

Otherwise I’m pretty sure there are small adjusters inside the guitar, for balancing the piezo output level of each individual string.

That is a good point. I will check both and seek a balance. Thanks!

Are your mag pups adjusted properly? Maybe they’re low and not getting loud enough?

Otherwise I’m pretty sure there are small adjusters inside the guitar, for balancing the piezo output level of each individual string.

The SE versions do not have individual string balancing, but they do have a single trim pot for total output level.

FWIW, my piezo was much hotter than the mags as well; it was distorting even on a low-volume solid state amp. Dialing back the trim pot (almost 3/4 of a turn!) on the circuit board solved the problem.

Thank you ! I am hoping to tinker with it today. If I have the mags on like normal, and up all the way, and then roll in the piezo it nearly doubles the volume. I am sure it is not supposed to, and it it sounds nothing like “acoustic” guitar, but it adds a rich beast of a tone and nice highs/clarity .... I actually love it. But, I do want to see what it sounds like if the volume of each are in unison. I am sure it is not supposed to be the way it is, but the rich tone it gives is a fortunate mistake!

Sounds like you have a dilemma, keep the cool “accidental” sound, or try to dial in what it was meant to sound like. That seems like a fun problem to have. If adjusting the pot fixes it, at least you”ll know how to put it back. :).

I recently got my hands on a beautiful Peacock Blue HB II Piezo, and I absolutely love the full, rich sound of the mags/piezo mix. I’m pretty sure I finally found the sound I want to make with a guitar. So much so, I’m selling off a number of my other guitars. Anyway, good luck, I hope you get to where you want to be with yours.

Back