New here and new PRS owner

Jimbob52

I just bought a used SE Santana signature from Guitar center. I have not received it yet, I can hardly wait.
I have been playing guitar since 1964, almost exclusively Acoustic, but picked up electric last year. I play for the church praise team and I needed more punch that an electric can give.

A little more info about me. I am retired from over 30 years in IT, I live in North Carolina , but I was born in NYC. My favorite music comes from Elevation worship, Bethel music, Zach Williams, Lincoln Brewster and Phil Whikham. As far as secular music goes my favs are Pink Floyd, Santana, Led Zepplin and the Beatles.

I have played acoustic rhythm for so many years I am struggling with playing leads on the electric. I am mostly self taught, so I have no theory training.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new guitar.

Acoustic and electric are two different disciplines. I’m sure you will have “light bulb” moments and there are so many great tutor videos now.

Best of luck.

Welcome.

I would hazard a guess & say you're in good company. The guitar in not much like piano, violin, cello, saxophone, or flute. Where one quite normally goes to a classically trained teacher & takes lessons for multiple of years. Many of us pine away for our 1st guitar, then it's a slippery slope from there.

Some of us want to learn how to play (somewhat) like some rock star(s). Most of us learn to meet chicks!

Hi Jim and welcome. Like you, I'm also retired and bought my first PRS (Vela semi hollow body) in December. Also like you I play guitar and bass at church. Due to the massive hours I was working I never had time to study the guitar until lately. As mentioned there is a lot of great material on YouTube that you can learn from. I've been working hard practicing improvising to help me learn my fret board better. I'm finding that the jam tracks are of a huge help. There's backing tracks of different chord progressions and even one chord jam tracks that are real helpful. It's slow going but progress is being made bit by bit.

Good luck to you!

I can only mirror what the rest of the lads have stated previously: Welcome, and yes PRS is an addictive drug. This guitar is only the first. I currently have four PRS guitars (and a smattering of other brands), and my son has one PRS. We're keeping it all in the family.

Back