New Guitar Day - Ebony "Special" semi-hollow - initial impressions

sjsamaha

First off - this thing far exceeded my expectations.. I quickly swapped out the 10's for 9's and had the setup re-done with my local tech and it's beyond butter smooth... the only other instrument I have with such consistent low and beautiful acton is my Wal MK1 bass... in common, both of these are monstrously heavy instruments with very flat necks..

The tone is almost identical to my Core Special, which is great as this is my favorite PRS tone .. especially in the 4th switch position and the hum buckers enabled..

The heft is something else... 9+ lbs.. as a bassist this isnt' an issue for me, but if I were a weight weeny, it would bother me.. Honestly, my McCarty 594 PS which weighs 5.5lbs bothers me more... a bit of heft is nice for my taste.

The texture is so nice... just feels like luxury...

The filled in F-hole in person is down right cool.. everyone at the Guitar Center who looked at it while I was having the setup done agreed it was unique and a plus... I was a bit surprised by how much it looked better in person.

If my Core Special is a 8.5, and my Private stock McCarty hollow body I a 9.0... I'd give this a 9.5.. I will not be parting with this guitar anytime soon (or ever).

temp-Image-Rud-Ve-W.avif

temp-Imageg-Lb-Rge.avif

temp-Image5rve-Gi.avif

temp-Imagexr4-Phj.avif

temp-Imagezr-IHzi.avif

First off - this thing far exceeded my expectations.. I quickly swapped out the 10's for 9's and had the setup re-done with my local tech and it's beyond butter smooth... the only other instrument I have with such consistent low and beautiful acton is my Wal MK1 bass... in common, both of these are monstrously heavy instruments with very flat necks..

The tone is almost identical to my Core Special, which is great as this is my favorite PRS tone .. especially in the 4th switch position and the hum buckers enabled..

The heft is something else... 9+ lbs.. as a bassist this isnt' an issue for me, but if I were a weight weeny, it would bother me.. Honestly, my McCarty 594 PS which weighs 5.5lbs bothers me more... a bit of heft is nice for my taste.

The texture is so nice... just feels like luxury...

The filled in F-hole in person is down right cool.. everyone at the Guitar Center who looked at it while I was having the setup done agreed it was unique and a plus... I was a bit surprised by how much it looked better in person.

If my Core Special is a 8.5, and my Private stock McCarty hollow body I a 9.0... I'd give this a 9.5.. I will not be parting with this guitar anytime soon (or ever).

temp-Image-Rud-Ve-W.avif

temp-Imageg-Lb-Rge.avif

temp-Image5rve-Gi.avif

temp-Imagexr4-Phj.avif

temp-Imagezr-IHzi.avif
Nice

It merits adding, the sustain on this thing is insane... I mean it's almost too much, it just rings and rings and rings.... I think there's something to this heavier = more sustain debate.

Back