Need some advice guys...(PRS Special Semi-Hollow)

It grew out of my admiration for the SSH, but with the knowledge that I’d want to re-wire for the middle only option. Then I thought that I already had 2/3 of the pickups I’d want and didn’t have the tremolo that I didn’t want with the PG. So I wrote an email to the PTC and got a pretty quick reply with a quote and explanation of how it would be wired. I thought about it for a day or so then shipped the guitar to Stevensville. When it was ready, I had the time so I decided to drive the hour to pick it up rather than wait a few days for it to be shipped back. I was glad I did. When I got to the factory, I saw a car parked in the spot that said it was Paul’s. I thought it was pretty cool to see his car and know he was in the building. I went in and said who I was and why I was there. The receptionist called for the guitar. A moment later, Paul walked out and said he was looking for a magazine to illustrate a point he was trying to make and went to the coffee table in the reception area. I didn’t know if it was cool to disturb him, and I felt a little weird about having “his” guitar modified. Call it paranoia, but I didn’t want to have to explain to him why I felt his preferred model needed alteration. So, I didn’t introduce myself or anything. I know, I was stupid to worry so much and missed an opportunity that I doubt I’ll ever get again. Still glad I made the trip and was glad to get the guitar back as soon as it was done. And that’s the story.

I love that. Knowing me, I probably would've reacted the same way, lol. But what a cool story 👍🏻

I have that same pickup setup, only with a tremolo instead of a stop tail, on the 20th Private Stock Anniversary model (it came that way).

For beautiful and shimmery tone that's evenly balanced I feel it can't be beat.

Interesting....now you guys have got me really thinking about this. Once I receive my guitar I'm going to spend some time going thru the settings and see if it's something I feel I would benefit from. I've watched several videos and seen what the NF sounds like singled out, without the HB's, and I'll admit it did intrigue me.

Interesting....now you guys have got me really thinking about this. Once I receive my guitar I'm going to spend some time going thru the settings and see if it's something I feel I would benefit from. I've watched several videos and seen what the NF sounds like singled out, without the HB's, and I'll admit it did intrigue me.
I should have clarified that the middle pickup on my PS model isn't wired for solo operation. It works in combination with the other two pickups - like the Special. I love the combinations and don't feel the need to rewire it for the middle pickup to operate solo.

My post referred only to the similarity between the two guitars in combining the Paul's Guitar pickups with the Narrowfield middle pickup.

I should have clarified that the middle pickup on my PS model isn't wired for solo operation. It works in combination with the other two pickups - like the Special. I love the combinations and don't feel the need to rewire it for the middle pickup to operate solo.

My post referred only to the similarity between the two guitars in combining the Paul's Guitar pickups with the Narrowfield middle pickup.

Oh, ok. Thats what I thought you meant at first but then assumed the opposite, lol. Glad you like the Special setup then 👍🏻

Oh, ok. Thats what I thought you meant at first but then assumed the opposite, lol. Glad you like the Special setup then 👍🏻
Well heck, I like it enough to buy a second Special, right?

Seriously, it's a great sound. Of course, we all have different ears, expectations and preferences, so there isn't only one good way to do things. But I generally find Paul Smith's design choices to be consistent with my own, and I've rarely made changes (though in the early days I was into the brand -1991-1995 - I wanted a more PAF sound and went that way with a couple).

Certainly ever since the 57/08s (and the 408s that came with my Signature Limited, which was a fantastic guitar) I've been fully on board with the stock pickups.

One interesting thing about the middle pickup is that I love positions 2 and 4 when practicing, but have never recorded with anything but the bridge and neck pickups in my advertising work in all the years I've had them. I have no idea why.

Last edited:
I don't mod guitars either and if I wanted something 'specifically' for a project that my current guitars can't do, I'd rather buy something for that job than 'modify' something I have - even if it's relatively 'simple' because everything is basically there. For example, I'd rather add a Studio than modify my Special to enable me to use the middle NF on it's own. I'd see the purchase of the Studio as purpose built for that job and probably offer other unique tones that may be more useful in the long term.

I certainly wouldn't do it just because it's possible but everyone is different. If my 'Stock' guitars can't give me the tone I must have for a project, to me that's a more than enough reason to justify a New Guitar Day!!!

Last edited:
I don't mod guitars either and if I wanted something 'specifically' for a project that my current guitars can't do, I'd rather buy something for that job than 'modify' something I have - even if it's relatively 'simple' because everything is basically there.

Every time I use the guitar I bought for a project on the project itself, I realize it would have turned out just as well with what I already had.

I've come to the conclusion that in my case, a different guitar is more of an inspiration thing than a practical need.

Back