New Guitar / Buzzing

Daniel9789

Hi all,

Picked up a PRS SE Custom 24 today in faded blue.

The store said it was set up for me, but got it home and it was waaaay out of tune. Anyway, tuned it myself BUT it’s got this vibration buzzing.

I’m a beginner and learner so it’s not necessarily easy for me to rectify, but I ‘think’ it’s caused by the truss rod being too tight?

Can anybody help please?

Video link to the sound ..

Yeah, a couple things can cause buzzing, the truss rod being one of them. It's kind of hard to tell from the video, but the bridge looks like it may have a bit of back-tilt, as well, which is also a setup issue.

If you'd like to do this yourself, it should be fairly easy, but you will need a few tools to get everything to spec. PRS has their general setup specs (these are just guidelines as players all have different preferences regarding setups) listed on their website in their "Support" page.

The tools that really help would be a capo, a set of feeler-gauges, a screw driver, and something to measure in small increments, whether they're metric or standard, like a string action ruler. Most of these tools are inexpensive and should be able to be purchased through any music supply company.

After that, it's a bit of a balancing act. First thing I do is check the truss rod adjustment and get it settled. Next I tune to pitch and see how my bridge is sitting. If it's tilting either way, front or back, I make the necessary adjustments to the tremolo claw. This will require a lot of back and forth of making adjustments and tuning to pitch until the bridge is properly floating evenly off the body. After that I adjust string height and intonation.

My way, I believe, is probably more extensive than others and I'm certainly no professional. But this has been what has worked for me.

Raise the action, check the truss rod (a small turn fixes most of my woes on a setup guitar), and mindful of pick attack cures most sting buzz issues for me.

Back