New Gear Day?... March is turning into "New Gear Month"!

ColonelForbin

Hit me with Music
NGD has turned into NDM: "New Gear Month!".. For the last couple years, March has been "New Gear Month" for me, and 2015 is turning out in force! Of course, then I spend the rest of they year paying it for it all - but that's another story for a different day.

Ok, so - earlier this month: First, I upgraded my Line 6 rig: I currently play a Line6 JTV59; which are made in the same guitar factory in Korea that makes the PRS SE guitars. It's the SE's Korean Cousin! I finally replaced my old glitchy HD500 with an HD500x (pysched for the new amp model packs due out in a month or so!) And, I also added another DT25 1x12 combo to my rig. With two of them, I can do stereo, dual amp models and wet/dry. I can also split the Variax signal to route the magnetic pickups to one amp, and the piezo variax models to the other amp! Which is way cool..

On the first official day of Spring (3/20): I pre-ordered a PRS S2 custom 22 semi-hollow (in tobacco / tri-color sunburst) to use Sweetwater's 36 month no interest financing which was ending 3/23. That should arrive end of May. Payments for less than $40 a month, no interest?> Sure!!

Then, last night after work: I snagged a stellar condition used DT25 head from my local Guitar Center for a crazy good price, found a mint condition matching DT25 1x12 cab on Reverb.com for local pickup (stopping after work tonight to grab it) This morning I ordered an extra nice PRS guitar strap from Sweetwater, to go with....last but not least...

..My 30th Anniversary custom 24 ten top which arrived at work Today!!!!

I got it from American Musical in the last hour of their 12 month / no interest payment plan option. It jumped to only 8 payments an hour after I ran the order! Which would have been steep.. Ordered it Wednesday, it's here today, free shipping. Bam!

Went with the pattern regular neck and vintage sunburst. I played several at local stores to compare finishes and necks. In particular, really needed to put my hands on both the pattern thin and pattern regular necks. For me, 100% pattern regular- the pattern thin just felt too wide to reach across, and too thin in thickness. My wrist didn't like it! Wrist likes pattern regular. In particular, the pattern regular on all of the S2's felt right (to me) in terms of the shape and width. It was a subtle difference, but I'm glad I verified in person!

Slow day at work, so after resisting unboxing it for the last hour, I just caved in and got it out of the cardboard shipping boxes. It's still in the case, haven't opened it yet..Must not break the seal till I am home.....But it remains a slow day at work; so I will likely be caving in shortly, at which point I'll try to upload some photos.. :)

Best guitar, by like, a factor of four that I have ever owned! This leaves me Humbled, and Inspired to play a lot more music in the near future. My band is currently working on a five song EP in studio, and this baby will DEFINITELY be making an appearance!

Cheers ya'all!! (Thank you PRS and Friends)

(this is what the two guitars should look like; generic photo, but tells the story: a pair of true American beauties!)

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-dbc2330597b96897e68a2e678c78aee5.jpg

Here's the S2 custom 22 semi-hollow, also generic web photo:

1600-S2Cu22SHTCS_front.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I made some busy work for myself, then I had to peek! Scary good. Like, I need to take some fresh guitar lessons and start practicing regularly again. Dang!!! Anyway, I snuck a couple photos in while the showroom was empty. Closing time in 30 minutes; side track errand to go get that cabinet, then headed home with this gem. I can't get the photos on Dropbox to link properly here; will have to sort that out later.

Cheers!

Grats. Look forward to seeing your own pics. Enjoy and thanks for the detailed process on neck choice.

Nice guitars!

Also got a HD500X

Still in it's box while I decorate. :(

Yeah, I am pretty psyched to hear when L6 is going to put out the new HD model packs! I was supposed to be end of March; my guess is it might be getting pushed back a little bit. It will be available for the 500x first; then the other 500 models later. I am going to just do the full $99 pack; it's got some new HD bass models, and some sweet looking new HD guitar amp models.

I use the HD500x with DT25 amps; so I just use the 'PRE' versions of the amp models; which means I can only really use the HD models in the new pack; they are also 'porting' over some of the popular older XT/X3/PodFarm amps into 'HD'. Those will only work as full amp models; no preamp only option.

Question for you all: I played the new PRS last night, got it tuned up, and stayed up too late! I did notice something weird, maybe ya'all can advise me. I noticed a weird ringing resonant note on the B string which lingers after the string is muted.. Especially if I do a harmonic, say 12th fret, then mute the string quickly - the note keeps ringing somewhere.

I will take a closer look when I get some more time; anything I should be looking for in the tremelo or tuners that would cause this to happen?

Thanks!

Spoke with my Sweetwater guy (Ray) and they're going to hook me up with the PRS hard case at cost for my S2! I love that case; can't tolerate the notion of keeping a nice guitar in a gig bag... Smart move with the S2 - sell it with a gig bag, drive up sales of their nice yet expensive hard case!

Back