New Celestion speakers with a "laid back" feel!

I thought that was more photoshopped Imgur silliness, but no…

Overview

Combining a hemp cone specifically chosen for its tonal character and a medium-weight ceramic magnet, the G12M-50 Hempback represents an exciting new development in Celestion’s never-ending pursuit of outstanding tone. Distinctive and well-defined, the Hempback delivers a balanced low end, plenty of mid-band character together with smooth, silky highs.

Targeted for use in American voiced amps, for example in combos such as a Deluxe Reverb® or Blues Jr.®, to deliver true American-flavoured tone and cleans that are second to none. Load up a Hempback for a sweet and smoky sound that’s musical and responsive, and let your hemp tone shine through.

Specifications

• Nominal diameter: 305mm / 12in
  • Power rating: 50W
  • Rated impedance: 8 Ohms or 16 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 99dB
  • Chassis type: Pressed steel
  • Magnet type: Ceramic
  • Magnet weight: 0.9kg / 35oz
  • Voice coil diameter: 1.75in / 44mm
  • Voice coil material: Round copper
  • Frequency range: 75-5000Hz
  • Resonance frequency, Fs: 75Hz
  • DC resistance, Re: 6.17 Ohms & 12.95 Ohms
  • Cut-out diameter: 283mm / 11.1in
  • Diameter: 309mm / 12.2in
  • Magnet structure diameter: 150mm / 5.9in
  • Mounting hole dimensions: 7.9mm / 0.31in Ø
  • Mounting hole PCD: 297mm / 11.7in
  • Number of mounting holes: 8
  • Chassis depth (inc gasket): 91mm / 3.58in
  • Magnet depth: 39mm / 1.52in
  • Overall depth: 130mm / 5.1in
  • Unit weight: 3.6kg / 7.9lb

And it's not even April 1st.

Honestly, though--hey Celestion, please just stick with making & selling reliably good versions of your classic 75 Hz & 55 Hz and AlNiCo speakers, please. This is where your money is. If you can do this as good or better than Scumback and the others (Can you? You should, because YOU were the ones who created them!) then you'll be fine, living a long retirement with your pile of cash. If you can't, well then... why can't you?

As far as the hemp-cone stuff, please leave it to Tone Tubby to release a dizzyingly-diverse range of speakers with confusingly-complicated names and descriptions such that we'll have no idea how they're expected to sound.

I dig the rolled off highs, would be great in my Deluxe Reverb.

Upgrading the speaker in my Deluxe Reverb made a huge improvement in the amp.

It improved both the clean tones and the overdriven tones.

Mine now has a Celestion Heritage G12H30 like Hendrix, Clapton, Beck and Green had in their Marshalls.

Because it's more efficient than the old speaker, the Celestion makes the amp louder and clearer but at the same time, the overdrive tones have that Marshall character.

Mixes in some vintage Marshall tone to the Fender tone.

Last edited:
Several of the new Fender amps come with Celestion speakers in them now, at least they did a few years ago.

This speaker is a bit interesting.

Several of the new Fender amps come with Celestion speakers in them now, at least they did a few years ago.

This speaker is a bit interesting.
I've been putting Celestions in my Deluxe Reverb and Princeton Reverb amps since forever.

But my Mustang 3 modeling amp came with a 12" Celestion. That amp is inexpensive and sounds surprisingly good!

Last edited:
Santana used them for a while , Hemp has so many wonderful uses . Speaker cones, clothes, rope, medicine

In the words of Ben Harper " What is from the Earth is of the greatest worth"

Back