New Angelus

Salty dog

I own a few nice acoustic guitars and was in the market to buy another Martin. I was playing one at a Guitar Center and the salesman brought me a PRS Angelus Custom.I had never heard of PRS acoustics line until that moment and I was amazed. I could not forget the sound after a month. I bought it on Friday. The only thing I am missing, which I did not know was important, is a "hang tag". The guitar appears to be made of cocobolo with an adi top and cocobolo fretboard. I would like to know for sure. The serial number on the receipt is a long mix of letters and numbers. Is there a way to find this out and do I need to get the hang tag from Guitar Center?

nice score!

i endeavor to improve my reading comprehension!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I read that in the FAQ. However, the folks at the Guitar Center don't seem to have any clue to what this "hang tag" is. They asked me what it looks like! I said this is my first PRS so I don't know. 3 different people have looked for the "hang tag" on 3 different days with 3 different calls and they haven't found it yet. Does this void my warranty? How else can you find what the guitar is made of?

My Tonare Grand Custom acoustic didn't come with a hang tag, and it came straight from the factory to Jack Gretz'shop to me. It's not anything to worry about. Lack of a hang tag does not void the warranty, and it's no big deal.

Angelus Customs usually have cocobolo back and sides and Adirondack Spruce tops, with either coco or ebony fingerboards.

Great guitar, enjoy it!

So the store manager called me back after personally talking to his PRS rep. The rep said it was a common question and that acoustics don't come with hang tags, you just write in the serial number when you send in the registration. I did say it was strange that the PRS website says all guitars come with them and you MUST have them and they don't differentiate electric or acoustic.

Regardless of all that, the guitar is great!

So the store manager called me back after personally talking to his PRS rep. The rep said it was a common question and that acoustics don't come with hang tags, you just write in the serial number when you send in the registration. I did say it was strange that the PRS website says all guitars come with them and you MUST have them and they don't differentiate electric or acoustic.

Regardless of all that, the guitar is great!

The acoustics don't come with hang tags. I guess the warranty card is kinda out of date, huh?

And the website....These are rather small matters as what really matters is the guitar; but coming from the "Martin-world" where there is a giant wealth of information and hundreds of thousands of guitars sold and at least that many players, it seems the only place to get real info about PRS acoustic guitars is from the PRS website and the paperwork that comes with guitar itself (of which there is precious little.) My guitar was built in 2010 so it has the graphite neck reinforcement, if there a special care instructions or anything about it, it would be cool to know.
The guitars are just so classy and first rate, I think the better they can be presented when sold and the more information that can be included with them, the better they will sell.

I think the better they can be presented when sold and the more information that can be included with them, the better they will sell.

PRS acoustics are relatively new to the lineup and there do seem to be some issues that need ironing out - like the warranty card. Now that Shawn is on it, I bet the warranty card part gets fixes really quickly...

But the store has some responsibility too. GC can be Heaven or it can be Hell. They are (in)famous for removing items and trying to sell them separately such as SE gig bags and even tremolo arms... but it appears they did not loose/remove the hang tag. The real problem is that you talked to so many GC employees that a.) didn't know what a hang tag was and/or b.) didn't know that acoustics are not shipped with one. THAT is the real problem. Too often the sales staff at GC would not be able to distinguish between an accordion and a zither (just to cover the bases from A to Z).

The only solution is to ask questions. Lots of them. If you don't get the answers you like, go to the next salesperson and ask them if they have a clue. Repeat until you are satisfied. Be satisfied before you plunk down your cash.

Back