New Amp -OR- Midpriced modelers -OR- Is anyone here (still) playing a Tonex?

Fellow Stage owners - can I connect my laptop to the stage via WiFi? I know that I can hook up the iPad via WiFi, not sure if the laptop is ISB only or WiFi also? Thanks, you will save me a half hour flailex.

I’ve got a Helix. I’m regularly tempted to get a Kemper. Why? I have no clue, other than the idea that it might somehow give me something that I haven’t found in the Helix.

Intellectually, I know I’m wrong about that. The Helix through my Powercab+ sounds fine and I (meaning me, as an individual) won’t get anything more out of a Kemper. My problem is that it turns out I don’t enjoy having a ton of options. I spend time playing with the options, rather than playing my guitar. I never really get anywhere.

I’ve always been a gadget guy. Lately I feel like I waste too much time on the gadget and not enough on the substance.

I’ve found I’m happiest when I keep myself to a simple guideline: If I’m not going to play for very long, I turn on the Helix. I stick to whatever patches I already have. If I’m going to play longer, I use my MDT into a PS2 that feeds a Waza 4x12. I truly enjoy that sound. No pedals, no effects, just amp and guitar.

When I have more time, I’ll go down the rabbit hole of using the Helix with the MDT. I‘ve been intentional (disciplined?) about not doing that, just due to my lack of guitar time.

Oh, I'm a hopeless gomer. What did I do today? Went out and bought a Profiler Head w/Remote. Told myself I wouldn't. The lies, oh, the lies!

What put the nail in the coffin for me was getting the entire Tone Junkies collection for free over Thanksgiving. Now, in my quest for simplicity and just playing guitar I've got a thousands of profiles to explore and a whole new system to learn. What have I become?

Last edited:
Oh, I'm a hopeless gomer. What did I do today? Went out and bought a Profiler Head w/Remote. Told myself I wouldn't. The lies, oh, the lies!

What put the nail in the coffin for me was getting the entire Tone Junkies collection for free over Thanksgiving. Now, in my quest for simplicity and just playing guitar I've got a thousands of profiles to explore and a whole new system to learn. What have I become?
I was gonna use a term that rhymes with “beer nut,” but someone here mentioned that their grandson would sometimes read along, leading to some uncomfortable moments. That seemed a good reason to try and behave. I’m not very good at it, but I’m trying. So yeah, you’re a beer nut. I’m not throwing stones by the way. I can barely form 5 open chords and switch painfully between them; God forbid strumming as well. I have a Kemper stage, a Mesa Boogie MkV25, a boogie 1x12 cab, a modest pedalboard, an S2 Studio, a Santana III, a Fryette PS2, small mixer, monitors, 1 each steel string and nylon string acoustics. I probably need the steel string acoustic right now and none of the rest of it. Yeah, I have a problem that would be much (much) better solved with practice. So @RC Mike, if you consider me good company ( a reach for sure), you are in good company. I blame @dmatthews, @Bogner and to a lesser degree, @DreamTheaterRules, though none are actually to blame. DTR was pushing for the Archon 50 watt head. I’ll blame him right before or right after Christmas I suspect.

"One of us"

Check out the ancient c30 profiles. Worked miracles for me in church. Until I replaced them with my own profiles (which was more fun). Still sound great.

Lolz! That was an absolute fluke that I opened the Forum with my grandson sitting right next to me and opened it right up to profanity. I almost never have a computer or iPad open when he’s around (unless it’s working) and I only see him maybe once a month so please feel free to act however, you would like to!

Lolz! That was an absolute fluke that I opened the Forum with my grandson sitting right next to me and opened it right up to profanity. I almost never have a computer or iPad open when he’s around (unless it’s working) and I only see him maybe once a month so please feel free to act however, you would like to!
I thought it was you, but wasn’t sure. Feeble memory and all. It’s fun to be snarky, sarcastic and off color. That said, I find I have a more positive mental attitude (PMA!) when I try to be a bit more polite at least some of the time. Besides, you’re not off the hook if I end up with an Archon 50 head at some point. No sir-rie.

@DreamTheaterRules - back to your question of how loud do I play - still no meter but, I get a consistent tone out of the Kemper to powered monitors even at very low volume. This certainly gives some credence to your comments that at low volume, a modeler or profiler might be the best choice. Sure I can pretty much duplicate that with my mkv25 and PS2, but a modeler for BR playing seems a sound choice.

I do. I probably even have a dB meter app. Installed. I just always forget to check the volume when I practice. Like 5 minutes ago. Got a good one to recommend?

I do. I probably even have a dB meter app. Installed. I just always forget to check the volume when I practice. Like 5 minutes ago. Got a good one to recommend?
I do have a db app. I’ll check volume one of these days. I’m kind of curious anyway.

Back