Need some advice on potentionally my first PRS (SE Custom 24). Input needed.

medicchief

Hey all again, just introduced myself in the General Discussion forum and now it's time for some needed input. Being a Strat player, I am wanting something to play some heavier stuff on. I found this 2010 PRS SE Custom 24. Yep, it's a flat top, but in excellent shape to be 9 years old. My main question is what would be a good price for the guitar? I don't have a clue......I've been playing it for a couple of days and getting it set up properly, so I can truly determine whether I want it or not. I can hardly find any info on the web about the guitar, so here I am. It's bone stock, no dents or dings, hardly any sign of fret wear. There are some spots in the pictures, but they're only glare or something. It also has an ACCESS hard shell case and original trem bar.That said, here it is....let me know what you think, I don't want to get screwed!
2VAnAnD.jpg
iDZ1EtO.jpg
iqfNIg8.jpg
rDu3A70.jpg
gFQmPBj.jpg
26CBxxy.jpg

Last edited:
Reverb only has SE Custom 22's this age, in their price guide....just not much out there on the 2010 SE Custom 24. Hopefully we'll get some more input here....Thanks!

The 22 and 24 are going to be the same price point. No one who would consider both guitars would go "well, it's got 2 more frets, it's gotta be worth 10% more!"

A guitar is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I do agree that the 24 fret guitar would be worth more than the 22 fret version but it also depends on rarity. If the market is flooded with cu22's, the price will be lower than the cu24 because they can charge more as there isn't as much competition. Even though both guitars cost the same new, people can charge what they want for a used guitar and people will only pay what they think its worth. They aren't going to pay $500 when the average price is $250 but if there is only 1 24fret on the market and its priced at $500, you have a choice to pay that, make an offer or find something else. Whether that 24 fret is worth $500 is irrelevant because if its the only one on the market, you have no choice to find an alternative on sale for cheaper.

Its that principal too that often make mods 'worthless' when you come to sell - spending big on PU's, electronics, nut and tuners isn't going to add a 'big' difference if your decide to sell - its still 'just an SE' in the eyes of the buyers. They aren't going to pay $500 if all the others are priced $200-250. If you are looking to buy, if there are 100's on sale, it makes it a buyers market and the prices will be 'lower', if there are few on sale, its a sellers Market and prices will be higher regardless of how much they cost at new or their 'book' price.

That's not even taking into account the variation in condition and variation in perspective of that condition. One sellers 'Mint' condition may well be one buyers idea of 'good' at best.

I don't think I'd pay more than $300 for it and feel better around $250. Especially given the examples that can be had a Dave's...which was so thoughtfully provided by our forum mate @shimmilou .

Its that principal too that often make mods 'worthless' when you come to sell - spending big on PU's, electronics, nut and tuners isn't going to add a 'big' difference if your decide to sell - its still 'just an SE' in the eyes of the buyers. They aren't going to pay $500 if all the others are priced $200-250. If you are looking to buy, if there are 100's on sale, it makes it a buyers market and the prices will be 'lower', if there are few on sale, its a sellers Market and prices will be higher regardless of how much they cost at new or their 'book' price.

I tried to explain this to a guy on a listing for a J Mascis Jazzmaster he had listed for $700 USD.

Not sure where you are getting those numbers, the closest thing on Dave's to a 2010 CU 24 is $595
Forums are a place to share opinions. OP asked for opinions and that is mine. You can get a 2018 Santana Custom 24 for $550. That’s where I would want to be otherwise I’d rather spend more for the newer, non flattop model. If your opinion differs that’s ok, different people with different perspectives. I don’t prefer the flattop models.

Forums are a place to share opinions. OP asked for opinions and that is mine. You can get a 2018 Santana Custom 24 for $550. That’s where I would want to be otherwise I’d rather spend more for the newer, non flattop model. If your opinion differs that’s ok, different people with different perspectives. I don’t prefer the flattop models.

Ah fair, but your statement about that number being backed up by the examples from Dave's is what threw me. You were comparing to the new models, not the 2011 custom 24 they are asking $600 for.

Sometimes I really wonder about shop listed prices, there's a *used* standard SE in a shop near me with a tag on it for $495, whereas you can get the *exact* same model, new, all day long for $499 on Reverb and it's not a particularly stand-out example either.

I guess, in the end, all you can do is have a personal ceiling and try to talk the seller down as low as possible, knowing that the same thing will likely happen to you when you go to sell.

Ah fair, but your statement about that number being backed up by the examples from Dave's is what threw me. You were comparing to the new models, not the 2011 custom 24 they are asking $600 for.

Sometimes I really wonder about shop listed prices, there's a *used* standard SE in a shop near me with a tag on it for $495, whereas you can get the *exact* same model, new, all day long for $499 on Reverb and it's not a particularly stand-out example either.

I guess, in the end, all you can do is have a personal ceiling and try to talk the seller down as low as possible, knowing that the same thing will likely happen to you when you go to sell.
It can be all over the place. The only thing to do is to NEVER buy or sell if you need to and don’t get emotional about either.

Thanks for all the input. I've been around a while and well versed in buying all sorts of things, which includes guitars. This guitar doesn't really do it for me. It plays okay, but I'm just not feeling it. The guy paid $300 for it and now wants to trade (+cash) for a mint 2011 Classic Series 50's Strat that I just found way below market value. The new Classics (MIM) sell for around $829, with gig bag. Mine has a GB Tolex case (around $180), custom Fat 50's pickups ($200) and several other upgrades. I like the Strat, but I'm really not felling it either....especially the 7.25" radius neck. I only bought it because it was a steal....I was really looking for a PRS or a LP, when I found it. This is a picture of my former strat collection, all of which I sold before last Christmas (due to an unexpected expense and presents for the kids and grandkids). There's an American Standard, American deluxe, a new player series, 98' Super Strat and an 03' MIM Standard (worn). Out of all of them, the 03' MIM Standard (blue) was my favorite and worth the least, but it spoke to me. It was like hold a tuning fork and played like butter...I put a set of Tex Mex pickups in it and everything else just stayed on a stand. Dang, should have kept it, I only had $200 in the guitar...….I made at least $200 profit on every guitar in the picture. That said, I won't buy a guitar unless it speaks to me and gives me a warm fuzzy or a killer deal so I can flip it.....I'm passing SE Custom 24 for now and will look for a real American PRS or LP and see what happens. I expect I'll be trying out several.....Thanks Again All! Who knows, maybe I'll be back....The guy may offer me more than I paid for the Strat and give me the SE too, LOL!
7wPhpMG.jpg

If you think for some reason a 2009 is special compared to a 2015 or later that has the bevelled body then by all means pay more than the $550 + shipping you'd pay at Dave's. I admit I am a fanboy of Dave's and frankly they saved me a bunch of time negotiating with guy on craiglist that wanted $400 for his SE standard 24. So if you can do better, or you feel better about having your hands on the guitar, that's fine. I would say if you order a SE Custom 24 from Dave's it will be an excellent transaction.

As an aside you can buy a SE Standard 24 from Dave's for $350 all day long. Thats' what I really like about them, you have a baseline for SE prices using Dave's for comparison. They usually have a bunch of SE (of all types in stock).

Back