Need help to choose a PRS SE

Nice, thank you John ! :)
Another thing, apparently SE guitars are set up with 9's, I thought about setting 10's on it because I don't want it to be too soft and with a good sounding but still bendable. But I've read people having problem with the nut and 10's, what do you think ? Maybe it wouldn't be too expensive to ask a shop to set a Tusq nut before shipping it.

I have 11s on my 2003 SE Santana with the stock nut. I bought some inexpensive nut files on ebay probably 6 or 7 years ago, so I can open up nut slots for my preferred 11s. The SE holds tune very well. Mine's a hardtail though. If you're a trem user, you might consider buying a PRS USA nut.

Locking tuners are convenient, but not necessary. the tuners on the SE guitars are fine. If you know how to wrap the strings around them, you can make them "locking". See my thread here.
I had heard horror stories about the stock SE tuners and nuts especially for anything with a trem. But I found those on my SECU24 to be surprisingly good. I did put Schaller M6 locking tuners on because I am rubbish at restringing. They are well worth it. Plus that add a nice palpable heft to the guitar and a sharper downward pull on the strings off the nut. But you are correct, there was nothing wrong with the original ones.

The local wizards that set her up said the tuners and nut are less of an issue than balancing the trem. They like to angle the plate back to stabilize the tuning and allow for some variation like dropped D etc. It still lets one warble and dive a little but you won't be going all Vai Halen. I am not a maniacal whammy baristo but it is nice to have/use and still retain tuning integrity - which can be done with the help of a quality tech shop. Although mine did wind up shimming the original nut and then taking about 25% off the top because the string slots were cut very deep. And since most standard SE models are factory-fitted for 9's, there will be binding until the slots are filed to accommodate larger.

Last edited:
Although mine did wind up shimming the original nut and then taking about 25% off the top because the string slots were cut very deep.
Like I said before, I don't have a problem with the stock nut, but I don't think I'd put that much work into it! Seems like a new nut would have been just as much work/cost.

For me, I can't go with a nut file. I don't use fat strings gauges that much often and obviously, the nut slot will remain the same throughout the guitar's life. I can't just go on and buy a set of nut files, they're too expensive, and it's hard for me to locate nut files in my country. Hell, even getting frets are hard here. So, I just place an order for the USA nut and wait for it to come! :D

Get the Se 245. I have more SE's than common sense, and play a lot of (Jazz) archtop. I've owned one of everything, and believe that the 245 is closer to an acoustic neck. It is also less complicated as your first electric. Then get the other one next year.

Pretty much the only thing locking tuners will do for you is facilitate/make faster string changes. If you want them go for it but I wouldn't get a tech to do it. You'll probably end-up paying an inflated price for the tuners and a hefty fee for installation.
You can get Shaller locking M6 tuners online for like 75 bucks and they're so easy to drop-in that a monkey could do it.
As was said though, there's really no NEED to swap anything on the new SEs. Pups are great, nutslots don't need widening unless you go up in string gauge and use the trem and the non locking tuners? my SE held tune just as well before I put lockers on it. Unless you want to be able to change strings in half the time, they are almost a pointless mod.
Of course modding is fun and will change your guitar but you probably should take it home and first see if you are finding the need to change anything.
Probably a good idea to get the store's tech to widen the nutslots (for free) though. Heck, get them to throw-in a free set of .010s and have them install them and widen the nut to suit...all for free. OR you'll take your business elsewhere ;-)

I'd say for you to go for the SC, if the custom neck profile feels too thin for you .
I love my SE Custom, which with proper setup and maintenance , has been performing well for me at rehearsals and gigs
I havent swapped tuners out, but I did have another nut cut for my own personal feel and preference.
Pickups are still stock HFS/VB and no complaints from anyone yet, so YMMV
Theres nothing wrong with these stock
F the horror stories, people - look and feel for yourselves !

Last edited:
Back