Need help on custom built guitar display cabinet

stevan5150

Hey guys,

I am building a house and in my media room i am having a custom display case made for my guitars. But i am having a hard time figuring out the size i want it to be. I had them originally quote me a cabinet that is 14ft long by 9ft high and is 1ft deep and covered on the inside with slatwall. I will also have sliding tempered glass doors. My ceilings in this room is 10ft high. but with the cabinet at the size i had them quote my amps will all be in the way of it. So my question to you guys is 18 electrics staggered and 2 acoustics staggered on slatwall , what size cabinet should i have built? attached are two pics, one is a photoshopped pic to show how i want the guitars hanging (not my actual guitars), and then a pic of my future room drawn to scale. and the amps are drawn to scale also with the 14x9x1 cabinet on the wall.

Dude, they ain't gonna fit! You won't have nearly enough length to the case to get that many in there even if you go with 3 rows. You are gonna need to hang them at an angle and then you will need more depth and still may need to go 3 high which means you need the extra foot most likely.

Dude, they ain't gonna fit! You won't have nearly enough length to the case to get that many in there even if you go with 3 rows. You are gonna need to hang them at an angle and then you will need more depth and still may need to go 3 high which means you need the extra foot most likely.

Thanks man, i see what your saying . Man well thats frustrating lol hmmmm

what if i was to put them one right below the other that should only be 10ft wide .. and not staggered out 20ft lol

Thanks man, i see what your saying . Man well thats frustrating lol hmmmm

what if i was to put them one right below the other that should only be 10ft wide .. and not staggered out 20ft lol

well crap that won't work either lol

I'd figure 18" minimum width per guitar. One right over another and you will still not have enough width. You should have the height to do it but you'd need to push the length which doesn't look like you can.

I'd Skip the full case and do a slat the full length of the wall and frame it in nicely. Then you could do angled and get them all in 1 row with the amps underneath. Get yourself a whole house humidifier in the furnace when they install it and have them place the control for that in that room. I am not sure if there is really any other way unless you do multiple cases.

I'd figure 18" minimum width per guitar. One right over another and you will still not have enough width. You should have the height to do it but you'd need to push the length which doesn't look like you can.

I'd Skip the full case and do a slat the full length of the wall and frame it in nicely. Then you could do angled and get them all in 1 row with the amps underneath. Get yourself a whole house humidifier in the furnace when they install it and have them place the control for that in that room. I am not sure if there is really any other way unless you do multiple cases.

I am thinking of doing a 12ft long piece of slat wall. and hang them sideways. if i did my math correctly lol that should easily fit 20 guitars sideways with room inbetween them

I am thinking of doing a 12ft long piece of slat wall. and hang them sideways. if i did my math correctly lol that should easily fit 20 guitars sideways with room inbetween them

If you go 14 you could angle them a bit so you could still see the fronts some. Basically the way bigger guitar shops do it.

Yes, angled is the way to go. Off-the-Wall makes and angled hanger that might fit your needs...

339131616.jpg

If you use angled hangers and stagger the heights you could get all the guitars in the top 5 feet of wall space and put your amps underneath the guitars. Your cabinet would need to be at least 20 inches deep...probably about the same distance as your amps from the wall. In this pic of my studio there are 15 guitars mounted on slatwall with my recording desk underneath. The space for the guitars is 5' high (5' off the ground), 8.5' wide, with the front of the guitars about 18" off of the wall. I think your space would work this way...and probably take up less of the room than having the amps in front of your display cabinet. Good Luck...we're expecting pictures.

If you use angled hangers and stagger the heights you could get all the guitars in the top 5 feet of wall space and put your amps underneath the guitars. Your cabinet would need to be at least 20 inches deep...probably about the same distance as your amps from the wall. In this pic of my studio there are 15 guitars mounted on slatwall with my recording desk underneath. The space for the guitars is 5' high (5' off the ground), 8.5' wide, with the front of the guitars about 18" off of the wall. I think your space would work this way...and probably take up less of the room than having the amps in front of your display cabinet. Good Luck...we're expecting pictures.

Dang! that's what I'm talking about! Beautiful!

Is that diamondlife hangers?

The case above is built into the wall. The back panels are quilted sepele, and the sides are birdseye maple (all veneers).

^ Claro walnut and BRW panels. Free standing wall cases.

Last edited:

The case above is built into the wall. The back panels are quilted sepele, and the sides are birdseye maple (all veneers).

^ Claro walnut and BRW panels. Free standing wall cases.

What's the size of that top case??

I'll measure for you the first of the week. FYI, it has sliding glass panels.

Thanks man, I greatly appreciate it.
If I can just get a cabinet to fit my cream of the crop that would be fine with me. But I definitely want them displayed like you have yours.
As far as the sliding doors, I figured they were glass sliding. My carpenter quoted me tempered glass on mine. So that should be perfect

ok, not for nothing, but this thread is exactly why for so many years people thought only rich doctors and lawyers could afford PRS guitars, hahaha

Back