NECK WOOD: Mahogany vs Maple

I think it's because maple dampens the vibrations more than mahogany or rosewood. Maple is harder and denser but mahogany and rosewood have a higher brittleness because of the grain structure. Mahogany and rosewood resonate better at guitar frequencies.

I know what you mean. When I play my electrics unplugged I focus on the vibrations running up the neck as much as the sound. My 594 has rosewood and my LP Custom has mahogany and both are very lively in the hand :)

I've always believed that maple sounded brighter because it's stiffer. It may actually be due to maple eating the bass. I did just listen to a comparison of two identical guitars but for maple vs rosewood fret boards. Interestingly the rosewood was a touch brighter.

I've always believed that maple sounded brighter because it's stiffer. It may actually be due to maple eating the bass. I did just listen to a comparison of two identical guitars but for maple vs rosewood fret boards. Interestingly the rosewood was a touch brighter.

Agree! Rosewood often has more sparkle at certain frequencies. Maple attenuates the lower mids. I find the lowest frequencies sometimes come through, though. It’s weird how that happens; I guess you’d describe it as scooped.

I’ve never found maple necks to be bright, strangely. They sound ‘flat’ to me. Does ‘flat’ mean ‘scooped’? Coupled with a trem and singlecoils they sound heavenly.

I'm almost afraid to add another tonewood to the mix in this discussion. The guitar of which I speak that started off this whole thread has a Swamp Ash body and not a Mahogany body as usual. Now that I think about it, looking at the entire guitar, there is not one single bit of Mahogany anywhere. So I wonder, doe the Swamp Ash influence the results I documented int he OP? The sales guy said that the Swamp Ash wold cause the guitar to be "a little brighter". This is also of course what they say about Maple.

Big Picture: Maple neck, BRW fingerboard, Swamp Ash body. (No Mahogany anywhere.) So that's two "bright" tone woods and (whatever Brazilian Rosewood is supposed to contribute) a "warm/soft?" tonewood combined into the same guitar. Maybe I'm not supposed to be feeling any vibration in my hands and body when I play it. IDK.

In a fan of swamp ash and I believe it has a noticeable effect on tone. To me it is a required part of tele tone. I have ash, alder, hog and swamp ash guitars at home. I've had similar/same guitars with different body woods. Maybe it's placebo effect, but I think swamp ash has a thing. I still play all the others though.

PRS-2018_CU24-08.jpg

I'm almost afraid to add another tonewood to the mix in this discussion. The guitar of which I speak that started off this whole thread has a Swamp Ash body and not a Mahogany body as usual. Now that I think about it, looking at the entire guitar, there is not one single bit of Mahogany anywhere. So I wonder, doe the Swamp Ash influence the results I documented int he OP? The sales guy said that the Swamp Ash wold cause the guitar to be "a little brighter". This is also of course what they say about Maple.

Big Picture: Maple neck, BRW fingerboard, Swamp Ash body. (No Mahogany anywhere.) So that's two "bright" tone woods and (whatever Brazilian Rosewood is supposed to contribute) a "warm/soft?" tonewood combined into the same guitar. Maybe I'm not supposed to be feeling any vibration in my hands and body when I play it. IDK.
The only thing I can think of is that it needs more time to settle / cure because I believe the ash body is a three piece body - maybe someone that owns one of the recent WL runs with an ash body can describe their experience with it? I still think you should feel the vibration from the neck and body through your hand. How does it sound to you while plugged in? I get that the experience of it could seem ‘off’ when you don’t ‘feel’ the wood the same way as your other guitars.

The only thing I can think of is that it needs more time to settle / cure because I believe the ash body is a three piece body - maybe someone that owns one of the recent WL runs with an ash body can describe their experience with it? I still think you should feel the vibration from the neck and body through your hand. How does it sound to you while plugged in? I get that the experience of it could seem ‘off’ when you don’t ‘feel’ the wood the same way as your other guitars.

I like the guitar. I think that merging the 408 wiring with the newest version of the Custom 24 model was a brilliant move! I'm a big fan of the CU24's, so in the event that I buy any more, they will definitely be the 24-08 variety.

Back