NDG McCarty content....

windsongstudios

So I haven't posted on here in quite some time. I just released my first solo album and now finally have some free time again. I scored a beautiful McCarty Dallas Shootout this past week and I thought I would share my experiences with it thus far. I had been after one for a while now and unfortunately there isn't much on the web or youtube that I have found to really document the backstory on these models. Please feel free to chime in with any details I may not know. I was struck at the difference between these particular 57/08 pickups compared to other 57/08's in my other PRS guitars. They are much brighter and carry an interesting chime to them while having that beautiful squawk that I get out of my Murphy R9. As with all of the PRS guitars I own (9 in total) they just blow away every other guitar I have when it comes to tone, playability, craftsmanship and dynamic response. Here she is in all her glory.

And here's one of her hanging out with my 2011 DGT just for fun and because it was the perfect day to take pics.

Gorgeous! Interesting how many iterations of 57/08s there seem to be. Glad you finally scored one - congrats!

Congrats on finding one of these. The don't come up all that often and are a truly wonderful instrument.

To give a little bit of information about it, conceived to try and get as close in sound to Paul's own 58 Les Paul Goldtop. I believe a run of 6 was done for the 2010 winter NAMM show, then a run of 50 done for the 2010 Dallas Guitar Festival, where an actual shootout between these guitars and said 58 LP GT was done. I also think Willcutts and one of the British dealers had a small run of these done to the Shootout specs, but I have no idea of the numbers involved in those runs, but it wasn't many. There will be an inscription on the back of the headstock as to which run a particular guitar belongs to.

I'm not sure exactly what tweaks were done to the McCarty to get close to the 58 LP GT tone, but I do know that Private Stock maple tops were used. I too am curious as to what info is out there that I may not know of with this model. By the few accounts I have read of, PRS got very close indeed to nailing the tone of the 58.

And now an excuse to add picks of my own Dallas Shootout.

Last edited:
Back