NDD

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
That's New Derby Day

I did something that I've wanted to do for 40 years.

So I've been a fan of hats since my early teen years. I also used to hang out a good deal on Fountain Square in Cincinnati in my teens, much to my parents' dismay. It was there that I first saw Batsakes Hat Shop, and fell in love with their hats.

Batsakes has been open and in the same family since 1907. The current owner, Gus Miller, is the nephew of Pete Batsakes. Gus immigrated from Greece in 1951, at the age of 18, and began working in the shop. Gus is now 89, and is still in the shop 6 days per week. Gus was Luciano Pavarotti's favorite hat maker. He has made hats for Sinatra, Snoop Dogg, Ronald Reagan, and just a metric ton of famous people. Gus knows hats. The shop has no website, and doesn't advertise, yet is known worldwide.

Gus no longer makes custom hats, but he still sells excellent hats and shapes them to the owners' preference. It occurred to me that, with Gus being 89, 40 years was long enough to wait. So I went in yesterday, and talked to Gus's wife - Gus had left for the day. I found a new Derby that I really liked, but didn't like the shape of the brim as it was. So, she took what I wanted, wrote my initials on a claim check, and told me to come back after lunch today.

I went back today, and Gus was behind the counter - he saw me walk in and said "Black Derby, right?". I said yes, and he handed me my hat - beautifully shaped and an utterly perfect fit. I didn't know he was going to, but he'd also imprinted my initials on the leather band inside. We had a lovely chat for about 10 minutes, about hats, and CIncinnati, and advertising, and I left with a hat personally set up for me by a legend in the industry. I am so glad to have had the experience, and now to have the hat.

batsakes.jpg

batbox.jpg

initials.jpg

gusderby.jpg

Killer! I'm a hat guy too but I don't have anything over the top fancy or custom. It's always been on my list to get a special hat one day too.

I was neglectful of one part of my story, and need to add. Mrs Aahzz was with me yesterday, and I was waffling about actually pulling the trigger until she told me to just do it. It's awesome to have a wife like that :).

I’m a fedora guy. I’m glad you got that hat. There are only about 25 master hatters left in the United States. There’s very little more practical than a good hat. You’ll never regret buying it because you wear it. I wish real hats would be easier to get, but it is what it is.

DUDE!!!

Seen that place a hundred times, as I’m sure you know. Full well know the legend. My grandfather (The original “H” for those who know I’m III) and father had hats from him. I’m more of a baseball cap guy, but yes, that guy is a legend.

Looks great Ahazz! I've been eyeing bowlers for a while and have some time off coming up...maybe its time for me also!!

Thanks for sharing that. Its very close to your pictogram avatar!!

Looks great Ahazz! I've been eyeing bowlers for a while and have some time off coming up...maybe its time for me also!!

Thanks for sharing that. Its very close to your pictogram avatar!!

The avatar is my old Derby, which was a $40 cheap wool felt that I picked up at a Celtic festival. It served me well for about 5 years, which is a good amount of time for a wool felt hat.

I say you should go for it. The Derby/Bowler is under represented in the current time - and I think it needs to be brought back. I get almost as many comments on my hat when I'm out as I do on my goatee :D.

Also, a note on naming. Derby and Bowler are the same hat - Bowler is the traditional term in the UK, and Derby in the US. I always preferred Bowler, but Gus uses Derby and I therefore figure I should use the term he does :)

On a side note Fedora and Trilby also refer to the same hat - again, traditionally Trilby in the UK and Fedora in the US. In modern usage, Trilby is frequently used to denote a thin brim, fedora for a wide.

On a side note Fedora and Trilby also refer to the same hat - again, traditionally Trilby in the UK and Fedora in the US. In modern usage, Trilby is frequently used to denote a thin brim, fedora for a wide.

Yeah, that's the trouble with Trillbys.

Who knew you'd be getting a Star Wars reference in a hat thread!

(And yeah, I'm just waiting for the corrections...)

Back