NAD Kemper Toaster

SinSir

Mad Scientist
I've always been a tube guy, and if I was being truthful I completely dismissed the modelers/profilers. I've tried solid state in the past, own a THR (for travel), spark positive grid (stays at girlfriends), and occasionally pull out a Fender Gdec for practice because of it's backing tracks. Though the sound, function, software are neat and serviceable they don't really do much more for me.

Fast forward.. Thanks to PRS I've found my forever guitar(s). Sure I have other brands I play and enjoy, but my Cu24 is my "if there could only be one", followed by xyz PRS now and in the future. Out of all the guitars I've owned over the years I never thought this was possible. Thanks Paul!

This got me thinking if a forever guitar can exist, what about a forever amp? Is it possible? I started down the rabbit hole, seeking advice (thank you), reading articles, watching you tube, going to stores trying not to focus on guitars, and seeking more and more opinions..

I came to the conclusion I don't have the space or funds to try amps like I do guitars. As cool as it sounds to have a wall or room of amps, I just don't have the physical space. The even bigger kicker is I don't have a space to play at volumes that truly pushes the tubes for any extended period of time without lugging them somewhere.

Reluctantly, I kept circling back to modelers and profilers. They seemed like the answer. I could try all of these amp profiles but not have any of the limitations of above. After what felt like a semester of college of research I decided Kemper was the way to go. I found a good deal on a toaster, snagged a frfr 108 and here we are!

Screenshot_20211017-192423_Galleryaf396f5a215b6cd0.jpg

Initially this was picked up as a tool to try amp profiles, assist in finding my forever amp, and maybe keep around for fun. That's all changed! This kemper is never going anywhere! This is without a doubt one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought. It's expensive but worth every penny,and hell I'd pay more for it. It's been a blast!

All of my initial praise aside I'm not ready to say my forever tube amp hunt is over but it's on the back burner for a while... Kemper Rocks!

Last edited:
Love my Kemper. Not sure if you have the Powered version, or not. Either way, if you want that even better (closer to amp in the room) feeling, you should snag a Kemper Kabinet (or Kemper Powered Kabinet if your toaster is not the powered versio). Game changer. I thought my QSC-CP8 was great, but the Kab is even better.

Love my Kemper. Not sure if you have the Powered version, or not. Either way, if you want that even better (closer to amp in the room) feeling, you should snag a Kemper Kabinet (or Kemper Powered Kabinet if your toaster is not the powered versio). Game changer. I thought my QSC-CP8 was great, but the Kab is even better.

Solid. Thats the second time I've read that in 24 hours. It's moved up my list to check out. I debated back and forth on it but ultimately the frfr108 won cause they are everywhere, cheap, and I thought it may be a compliment to the Kab down the line to work together or for different purposes. Either the Kab or the remote is next.

I’ve been gigging a modeler for a full decade now. If you don’t have a roadie, they’re hard to beat! It hasn’t kept me from enjoying my tube amps, or even using them together. As much as some forums would like to convince you otherwise, you can be totally served by either one or, like me, both. It’s a great time to be a guitarist!

Congrats on your discovery!

Mine is sad that it’s been stuck in a bag for 19 months. I bought it to travel with and haven’t gone anywhere. While I still play tubes at home, I do really enjoy play through the vast selection of classic amps when I’m away.

Which bag did you get? I'm thinking of dumping my THR for travel.

I have a set of waza air I use more for day trips anyhow.

Powered Kabinet all the way! But you read that in my thread already ;)

Remote is a must with the toaster, unless you’re going to switch to the Stage.

I went back and forth on the stage. I went toaster because I wanted something a little more amp like, and figured I could add the remote later. Honestly, I didn't expect to like it this much, or at all, and in hindsight I’m not sure which way I'd go now.

Check, Kab and stage next...

Congrats!
I love my toaster too.
I have 2 Kabs as well. It's nice to be able to double them up as mono or separate them for stereo.
The nice thing about the toaster is that (as you alluded to) it can sit behind you on stage and there's a single cable to your position for the footswitch/remote.
A Stage unit would require AC power at your feet, one or more cables for mono/stereo going back to the amp/speakers behind you, and your guitar cable. I go wireless, so just the one remote cable for me.
That being said, the Stage is a perfect all in one system, and lighter overall than the toaster/remote package. I'd be super happy with it anyway.
Way too much fun.

Which bag did you get? I'm thinking of dumping my THR for travel.

I have a set of waza air I use more for day trips anyhow.
It came with the toaster. Just enough bigger in the main compartment to toss in headphones and a couple of music books. Velcro pockets on each side for cables and such. A big zip pocket across the front. In a Kemper green of course.

Congrats!
I love my toaster too.
I have 2 Kabs as well. It's nice to be able to double them up as mono or separate them for stereo.
The nice thing about the toaster is that (as you alluded to) it can sit behind you on stage and there's a single cable to your position for the footswitch/remote.
A Stage unit would require AC power at your feet, one or more cables for mono/stereo going back to the amp/speakers behind you, and your guitar cable. I go wireless, so just the one remote cable for me.
That being said, the Stage is a perfect all in one system, and lighter overall than the toaster/remote package. I'd be super happy with it anyway.
Way too much fun.
I’m very impressed with the form factor of the Stage. iPad app makes it work well for me.

Back