NAD 50W hxda

I found the 50 to be a little fatter in the low mids and bass ranges. Bass usually requires the most power, and the amp has to work harder for it. The thing about the character of the 50W's bass is that it's very rich and gooey. I really dug the 50 I had. On the other hand, the 30's slightly tighter bass is easier for me to get to sit in a mix.

Great descriptions between the 30 and 50 as I am hearing the same.

The 50 has got a thicker or fuller bottom as you also said. I am really diggin the 50 over the 30. I ran both thru my Rockcrusher and dimed both amps. I like the 50 as it has more room and more open obviously due to the higher output.
I was running both gains higher on the 50 than the 30 and I attribute that to the higher output as well.
One Surprise during tube swaps is that I didnt like the C's in the 50. They sounded a little too scooped to me. The Siemens sounded great. Great mids and a smoother top end. I also tried a set of EH's and those sounded very, very close to the Siemens.
In fact, I am going to leave the EH's in it for now and let them burn in and see how it sounds. Could be a good value option to the more expensive Siemens.
Of course with anything, opinions are just that, an opinion. There are so many variables regarding room size, acoustics, tubes, speakers, guitar, pickups and even everyones ears that its hard to really say this is better or that is, because it's only an opinion of what sounds good in my environment.
Everyones mileage will vary and thats the fun part....putting in the miles.

I'm keeping both the 50 and 30 for now because I like the differences each one gives me.

Great descriptions between the 30 and 50 as I am hearing the same.

The 50 has got a thicker or fuller bottom as you also said. I am really diggin the 50 over the 30. I ran both thru my Rockcrusher and dimed both amps. I like the 50 as it has more room and more open obviously due to the higher output.
I was running both gains higher on the 50 than the 30 and I attribute that to the higher output as well.
One Surprise during tube swaps is that I didnt like the C's in the 50. They sounded a little too scooped to me. The Siemens sounded great. Great mids and a smoother top end. I also tried a set of EH's and those sounded very, very close to the Siemens.
In fact, I am going to leave the EH's in it for now and let them burn in and see how it sounds. Could be a good value option to the more expensive Siemens.
Of course with anything, opinions are just that, an opinion. There are so many variables regarding room size, acoustics, tubes, speakers, guitar, pickups and even everyones ears that its hard to really say this is better or that is, because it's only an opinion of what sounds good in my environment.

I'm keeping both the 50 and 30 for now because I like the differences each one gives me.
Even though I’ve been a big SED/Winged C fan for decades, I settled on the Siemens EL34s in the HX/DA 50. Mostly, it’s about the clarity of that tube for me, though I will say the amp sounds more genuinely Plexi-like with the Winged-C tubes. As you said, it’s about what you want or like, and it’s cool you have easy color changes with a quick tube swap.

Hey, your opinions are most excellent!

Back